blood clotts

• Hey all. I've been laying in a hospital bed for a few days now. I've got several small blood clots in my left lung. I guess they call it a pulmonary embolism.
    Have any of you experienced this? The doc here said he'll have to look into it but says he suspects I won't be able to dive for 3-6 months.
    I'm going to find a dive doctor to consult if I make it out of this.
    just wondering if you all had any good news for me.
    thanks

• Pulmonary embolism Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

I don't know how much you've read up on it but this link explains a lot about it. There are different causes and levels of severity but it is nothing to take lightly.
    It's almost always associated with deep vein thrombosis. Blood clots form in your legs and go to your lungs. It's good you got it diagnosed. Undiagnosed can get very serious.

Take your time. Get better. We'll save you some fish. :)

• Sorry man, Hank is right, fish aint going anywhere... get better first bro

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I'm not sure how it happened. I don't think they are going to let me out until they find out.. I think it had somthing to do with a few long road trips but I'm not certain.
    Thanks guys

• Very sorry to hear this, surprising having seen you so recently in apparently good health. Did you dive between then and the diagnosis of your condition? Is there a way to know how long you had it before it was discovered? I have no knowledge of pulmonary embolism. But if it happened to me, after the immediate danger has passed, I'd be keen on instituting changes in lifestyle, weight loss, exercise, healthy food, no alcohol/drugs/smoking, and of course reduce stress causing factors. I hope you get well soon.

Dan

• Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) Diagnosis - Signs & Symptoms
    Deep vein thrombosis can be caused by long periods of inactivity…..like hours on the road sitting. Or having a broken leg or any injury that incapacitates you where you can't walk or move around.

I've read about it over the last 15 years or so and the risks of long flights and sitting, which I do almost every year going to the Philippines. Get up and move around every few hours.

There was a case here in Belize where a tourist died on a dive boat. It was from a blood clot in her heart…..if I remember right….from DVT.

The main thing is you caught it. Once a clot sits in the lung it restricts oxygen flow to the surround tissue and can cause cell death. Permanent damage.

Hang in there buddy. You'll be killing fish soon. Just don't take it lightly. It seems it can be very serious if not treated properly.

Note, I'm no doctor. I've just learned to research and find all I can about disease living in a country where the medical technology is about 1940 USA.

• Dan, I have not dived since I saw you. I was actually headed to the springs the day this happened. It felt like a strained rib muscle at first. But rapidly got worse. My wife took a detour to the ER. I am still waiting on the results from all the blood work to see if it is something internal that caused it. If not then the culprit has to be the long road trips I had taken thru the hollidays.
    The pain in my chest has subsided some now. But now there are some things going on with my head that have them concerned that one of the clots have moved.
    If I die before I get to shoot my first fish I'm gonna be pissed. If I make it then you can bet your ass I'll do a few things different.
    Thanks for all the well wishes guys. I'll keep you posted... or my wife will.

• Like everyone has said - this is serios stuff. Take care of yourself - fish & diving are hobbies/sport/therapy but you need to get well first. Good luck and please keep us informed to the appropriate level.

• Hey all. I've been laying in a hospital bed for a few days now. I've got several small blood clots in my left lung. I guess they call it a pulmonary embolism.
    Have any of you experienced this? The doc here said he'll have to look into it but says he suspects I won't be able to dive for 3-6 months.
    I'm going to find a dive doctor to consult if I make it out of this.
    just wondering if you all had any good news for me.
    thanks

I assume they have you on leg squeezers to prevent DVT if you are not up and around often. Your legs are also checked via ultrasound to make sure there are no other clots. Many patients are given anticoagulants to prevent the PE from getting larger so that the body can phagocitos the clots. One of the dangerous things that you and your medical team will need to look out for is internal bleeding if you are on anticoagulants. Take things slow and easy. Do not hesitate to get checked up at the ER when you are out if your not feeling right, dizziness, swell, bruising etc. Heal up quickly the fish will just be bigger the longer you wait to get in the water. :)

• Thank you all for the well wishes and words of advise. I got discharged from the hospital today and sent home with blood thinner. I still don't have any answers yet as to what caused this to happen. I have an appointment next week and should learn more then. All I know is I feel like crap still. Again, thank you all and I will keep you posted.

• I just wanted to give another update. I ended up back in the hospital with another blood clot and a collapsed lung. I was released after a few more days and have had a few follow up appointments. Turns out that there is no underlying cause for the blood clots and the permanent damage should be minimal. I have to take blood thinners for the next 4 months but can start back to exercising in a few weeks and should be able to be back in the water towards the end of April.