Converting a Ulusub 100 meter reel into a belt reel

• Following Hau's ideas on making a standard reel into a belt reel, I took my bluewater 100 meter Ulusub extra reels(2) and tried variations on them to convert them into belt reels based on Hau's ideas and advice.

First off I got a old boat fender from work and cut some strips to use as the base that the Ulusub reel attaches to with its two connection points. I chose this material as it is extremely tough yet soft and non abrasive, very much like a rubber weight belt... did i mention free, readily available to anyone anywhere where there are boats? ;)

Next step was to take the reel spool off of the reel base to allow easy access to the bits that would be attached to the fender material.

I then marked out the holes and outline of the reel base onto the fender material that was to become my reel base, used a scissors to trim material to my desired size. Got a pointy tool, heated the point, then punched the holes i wanted in the areas I had marked out.

Then I got some short thin bolts, put them into the Ulusub countersunk holes on the top side(where spool sits) and through the fender material, a dab of lock-tight before screwing on the nuts and we had perfection. Now the reel base is attached to the fender material, this material then becomes the base with which i get four points to secure the reel to the belt.

To secure the reel to the belt I chose Hau's method of simply crimping fishing line into loops through the four holes I had punched into the edges of the fender material, so they could be fastened onto the belt.

Now I have 100 meters of dynaglide attached to my side should I ever need it!! Belt reel that can roll with the best of them out there in my opinion, wonder how many of them carry this much line?
    Be aware this much reel and line weighs about a pound and a half on your belt!

I also did a version on my other belt using only crimped fishing line as an example of not needing stainless steel bolt and nuts or in a boat situation being able to do repairs on boat

Thanks Hau for the ideas!! :hail1:

EDIT: Going to put some washers between the nut and fender material as a anal precaution.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

Edited once, last by Dude george ().

• Incredible George. No one would know you made it out of airplane wreckage that washed ashore on your desert island.

Seriously though good job making the base wide enough that it shouldn't wobble. I always imagine that otherwise a tug in the wrong direction would just dig the spool into the belt and not allow it to spin.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Instead of mono line, would zip ties work? Great job badeh...

I try to make sure all my gear can handle whatever, I personally would not trust a big fish to zip ties Hank... but saying that I am not sure what the belt itself would handle? So maybe I am being silly about over engineering this piece [emoji4]

George Steele

• Incredible George. No one would know you made it out of airplane wreckage that washed ashore on your desert island.

Seriously though good job making the base wide enough that it shouldn't wobble. I always imagine that otherwise a tug in the wrong direction would just dig the spool into the belt and not allow it to spin.

Hahahhahahha [emoji1] right?
    I made the all fishing line rig with the wide pad as it was wobbly and just what you said was my concern.
    But the nut and bolt rig sits very stable so I made the pad/base the same width as the belt.

George Steele

• I like them. The black more than the pink one though. :)

Here we go again!
    First off it is green not black, and that's red NOT PINK! Not a word Oscar! [emoji1]

George Steele

• Dude george--nice job sir and IMO that is THE perfect snap to put on the end of a belt reel line.
    Glad you liked my idea and thank you for the kind words. :)
    I hope you like my NEXT idea that I have in the works. Hopefully it too will help put more fish on ur spear. :)

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 3 times, last by hau ().