Bangladesh spearfishing

• I wish. I think there are some islands to the south of us but I doubt we'll get there. Miss this place. But snapper time is coming back home. Yep

You didn't fool me Hank - having been in Bangladesh I knew this was going to be a non starter. Are you starting up a new shrimp farm for your company or consulting to help someone just stating, or perhaps trouble shooting an existing farm? From what I saw - finding adequate and sufficient "CLEAN" water would be a challenge. :@

Good luck

• The water is pretty brown. We are about 60 miles from the Myanmar border on a pretty much west facing coastline. The surf comes in from the south….it's winter down there…..and there is a strong current with the waves. Really strong. Jake went out to try and body surf and was swept off his feet. (no fins) Google Cox's Bazar. We're about 20 minutes south of there.

We're here (Me for another week, Jake and my daughter Kenny for three more months) to help a hatchery get started using the Hawaiian bred, disease free tiger shrimp. They collected disease free ones form all over Asia and breed them there. Kenny is training people in the algae lab and jake is doing larvae culture. I'm just walking around trying to look like I know what I'm talking about.
    :laughing:
    And this is my vacation? I really know how to have fun. But it's good for Kenny and Jake. Hopefully a jump start in their careers. A lot of high rollers int he shrimp world have their eye on this project.

No spearfishing. I've been dry too long.

Check out the boat design here in the second picture. I guess that bow is to cut through the surf. Everywhere in the world has their local design….and usually for a good reason And you can see the left coming of the south swell wrapping up the coast. But it's deceiving. Ripping current even when it's only about 4 feet.

Edited 2 times, last by hank ().

• This place is amazing. If you Google Earth it, Bangladesh is basically a huge delta of some of the many rivers that drain the Himalayas. Mt Everest is just north of us. Think about that. Probably the largest meeting of fresh and seawater on Earth. The Gulf of Mexico on steroids. I would guess this WAS the richest marine environment on Earth before the huge population of people in this part of the world began over fishing it.
    An indicator is the billions of tiger shrimp post larvae that are collected here supporting the whole Bangladesh shrimp farming industry up to this point.