New Riffe EURO TRAVELER - breakdown speargun

• Has visto el euro traveler speargun, si usas el sistema que ellos tienen para unir la mitad de el arpon se que podrias hacer la extension en madera haciendolo ver mucho mejor:). Y asi lo puedes acortar y alargar cuando quieras;)

• My first concern would be how much tolerance those holes have for the shafts and how much movement there would be under load. My guess is that if they came out with this speargun that it's solid. On the other hand why not just get a speargun case instead? You still have to put the gun somewhere and it's not like you're going to put it together with your evening wear in the same suitcase. But yes kudos for innovation. Reminds me of the old JBL breakdown speargun with its special case. Of course I'm not comparing Riffe to JBL.

• if it holds good , and forever it's the best. the one thing I'm not to sure about is the shaft. in my pneumatics the only way to keep the back tip of the shaft in place was to glue it, so if i glue this one ...........................

• Damn Pargo what happen to the thread about the butt extension?:D. I just posted this about the idea for the butt , but it looks it went on a thread by itself:laughing3:.
    Is it me but this look very steady on the wood portion. Now like pantoja said The shaft can be a concern. But for the average reef fish is a good option. When i saw it i was in shock because is been a while since i saw something like this. But this couldlead to a bigger and better idea:thumbsup2:

• I didn't see anything about the new gun that has to do with the pipe butt extension. I copied it back there maybe you'd like to explain further. Regardless it's an interesting new product that deserves a thread for itself.

• weird i post it as an example of how you can add an extension made of wood to match the original wood gun on the other thread using a method like this. that way the butt wont look ackward, from wood to metal. That is just an idea that can be used that is the reason i post this. Also this could lead to a solid idea on repair broken wood guns. If the system is solid and steady and can withstand the abuse of the rubber bands. I guess a lot of broken guns can be brought back imitating this method, dont you guys think?.
    maybe for someone like me with not to much wood skills and no equipment is hard to do this. but i know lots of guys here got the skills to take this idea to a whole new level.:thumbsup2:

But for the butt extension this idea can be acomplish getting a way better looking results. just my honest opinion. And probably is cheap as well:D

• Now I understand, somehow I missed it in your first post. I'll tell you why I don't think it's something I'd consider doing. The whole point of the pipe extension is that it's dirt cheap. I use conventional butt pads. Those have a circular hole/mortise which accepts the stock cut with a hole saw/tenon. This is a very simple connection to make. The aluminum pipe can serve as a mortise/slide over the already cut wood stock. Then the same butt pad can slide over the pipe. All very simple and the only additional work is cutting a section of pipe to length.

On the other hand consider if you already have a length of stock. Then you have to shape a whole other piece of wood to serve as a butt extension that must be identical in circumference/shape to the stock. Too much work and that's even before making the fitting.. It would be easier to just build a gun of the correct length from the start. I have no use for a gun that comes apart BTW. Frankly I have no idea how Riffe does it. Probably they make a complete gun and then cut it in half.

• On another note do you guys think somebody will actually dish out the cash for this Euro Traveler gun? I think this gun is the equivalent to what couture is in fashion; stuff that no one will actually wear but draws attention to and showcases the capabilities of the designer. Just my :twocents:

• i handled this gun at the blue wild and i was impressed...I think if you travel a lot or move a lot and want a quality gun but know you will get slammed on the travel fees with a sporttube, this might be ideal..it was real solid when assembled and I pulled the bands back (no shaft of course) and the stock did feel like it was one piece...for what it is worth

i like to spear fish

• I flew to Panama with a sport tube. It was free, American Airlines allows an oversize bag for fishing gear. Technically it's for rod and reels, but they don't actually inspect the insides.

Also technically, they are rods, and I do have a reel....

That Riffe gun is 75cm long and will fit in a regular suitcase diagonally. The tolerances were pretty tight, but it's only 75cm anyway.

• I guess paying a lot for such a small gun is a downside in my opinion. Don t you think?

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I realize this is an old thread, but it was the only one I found when I did a search for this gun. Has anybody tried this gun yet?

• Just took a look at this thread due to an idea my boys and I have of riding our dual sport adventure motorcycles down through Mexico with the thought of diving every spot down Baja or the west coast of mainland Mexico. This idea would seem to make carrying a gun and shaft doable on a motorcycle. I just saw the new version of the traveler gun at James and Joseph's in San Diego and got to handle it. The butt stock remains a constant length but you can choose variable stock to muzzle lengths to basically have a short version for reef and poor viz to a 130cm for blue water. I was hoping to find a review on it from someone who has used the gun. While the concept is great for backpacking through the pacific/ Indonesia etc, and for packing on a motorcycle, My biggest concern would be flex and a tendency for the gun to develope cracks after use from being under tension....like Dan said.

Anyone have experience with this gun or concept? Can any one imagine any better way to combine the kick-butt adventure of off road motorcycle touring AND Spearfishing at the same time? :cool2:

As always.....ALOHA!

Makoa

• We even thought of custom designing a "scabbard" for our shorter roller guns out of pvc, but it's just too bulky.

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI