Tzalam and Satine gun build

• A while back I posed a question of specific gravity of wood for building guns. My plan was to build a slightly negative (when loaded) gun, with positive buoyancy without the shaft. Looking through locally available hard woods I came across a source of Tzalam, a dense tropical hardwood frequently used for flooring and furniture here in Mexico.

I glued up a 60" blank with two vertical laminations of Tzalam and a horizontal top sheet of Satine I had laying around. I let the blank hang for one month, then squared it up yesterday. My parts should be here in a few days and I can start cutting. The gun will be a 110 cm "Amero" style open track with a 5/16 shaft and two 5/8" bands, with the option for a third.

After looking at available handles I decided on the full mortise AR-15 rear handle that Neptonics sells. As a lifetime woodworker and furniture maker I have developed a preference for a full mortise connection as opposed to relying on fasteners, so this made the choice of handle obvious for me.

I will post pictures as work progress, and I hope to have the gun finished for the long Xmas break.

• Look forward to seeing the photos as it comes together.

• I got my parts via Fed Ex yesterday, and built a router table this morning out of my chop saw stand. This weekend I will be routing in the mech, track, handle and band slot.

The blank has been hanging for a month now and is dead straight. If everything goes smoothly, I will be ready to epoxy next week!

• Here is an update on gun progress:
    Yesterday I cut in the trigger mechanism and track on a router table I made from my old chop saw stand. It worked great and the mechanism and shaft align perfectly. This morning I pinned the mech, and installed the line release.I am off to Home Depot (they are all over Mexico) to get a new 5/8 router bit, then will mortise in the handle, an AR-15 rear handle type.

In general I find it pretty basic shop work, with setup and layout being the critical parts.

• One of the first rules of woodworking states that it is easier to take wood away than to add more. I started out oversize and made most of the critical cuts. Right now the stock is 1 7/8' X 2 1/16". With the handle installed the stock depth at the grip is now 1 11/16. Today I will take the sides down to 1 5/8" and taper the height towards the muzzle.

• I have been spearfishing a lot of wahoo lately, well and some other stuff [emoji6]

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Nice fish. I wish I could get out more. Especially now that the water is starting to cool off and the pelagics are starting to show. Oh well, I have ten days at the beach starting on xmas day, until then I just have to dream

• Getting close. I applied a 3rd coat of epoxy this morning. I will let it cure for a few days, then wet sad the track with 600gr paper. Should be ready to go in a week.

I am already planing my next build. I have 2-54' shafts that need a gun to drive them.