Makoa goes South of the Border

• Had to add this picture of Kaleomakoa, my 11 year old. This was a rough day, the same day the panga broke loose from its anchor line...(so that's what they mean when they say "small boat advisories"...:laughing3:) Fills a dad with waterman pride witnessing his youngest son slip beneath a rough surface and effortlessly glide into the abyss in search of prey!

• Those Gafftop sail pompano are tasty little buggers. Looks like a blast, thanks for sharing!:toast:

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry

• EPILOGUE:

So we pulled out of .......... Last weekend for the drive north to AZ. The last two days of diving were off the hook! We hit an off shore spot in moderate seas, poor viz, and cooler water (cold water has moved in). We got into schools of barracuda (very pricey fish in Mexico and the best sashimi/poke IMHO) and cerra mackerels. I ended the day with to big barracuda, 4 cerras (dad still shoots da biggest of course), three jacks, a dozen palmilla. Total between us was 8 cerra macks, five barracuda shot, three descent jurels (jacks), and some palmillas. The last day, same spot, the water turned dirty, and the schools were nowhere to be found. But da boys went deep for a kui full of descent reef fish. My 22 year old and I ended with three jurels, palmillas, one small pargo (I chased a toad of a pargo through several holes for about a half hour when he finally disappeared), a couple of ojo de perra, uhu, and three of those rainbow runner looking fish (can't remember what the Mexicans call them). All in all we ended the trip totally worn out, freezers full of fish for our Mexican hosts, super stoked for all the fish we shot and adventures in the water we had. We're definitely wearing battle scars from this trip (reef rash and still dissolving urchin spines in our bodies! To end it all, I almost got stabbed by a guy in Puerto Vallarta when I stepped in to help a store clerk subdue a guy stealing from her store! Crazy! One guy got his arm slashed and I escaped without my blood being spilled by the guy with a filet knife of all things!

Can't wait until the next trip....for now it's repair gear and try and recover from three months of Salt Life Living, charging hard while we could.

CHEEHO! Aloha,

Makoa

• Thanks Marco. No words to describe what trips like this do for fathers and sons. Three of my favorite things in life (other than my wahine!) Salt Water, free diving-spearing, and adventures with my sons....ok, maybe dirt bikes and guns too! :laughing3:

Aloha!

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• NEW RELEASE: Video of final days in Mex.

Spearfishing Mexico 2: Hecho en Mexico

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg6Ti4In0R8

There was so much more footage to include. My passion is spearing, not movie making. The video is not so great, but it's a small representation of an epic Father and Sons trip and the adventure we lived.. Had three of my 5 boys with me.
    It's amazing how a trip like this puts life back into perspective...even over the daily trips to the water that become routine. As I post this I'm reminded that in spite of all the opinions and knowledge shared on the forums regarding gear, set-ups, muzzle styles, and mathmatical equations, in the end what really matters is getting out in the water and living a Salt Life, spearing fish and putting food on the table. Mentoring your kids and watching the stoke grow is what I live for. I wish I had spent more of my dive time filming their shots. Oh well, like I said, my passion is spearing fish not filming. Maybe on the next trip. :thumbsup2:

Mahalo for visiting this post and for watching the vidz

Aloha,
    Makoa

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI