04/22/2009 La Santa Fe - Quick dive

• I'm not a big fish eater, most of the time it's all the same to me be it cuda or snapper. I don't like hogfish and mackerels. But today I'm reminded again that fresh triggerfish could very well be the best tasting fish of them all. I score the fillet and marinate in Italian dressing for no more than 10-15 minutes, then on the grill it goes. Great stuff.

• Yep. Fresh trigger is tough to beat. Also delicious encrusted with pecans or macademia nuts, because the fillets are generally thin compared to a legal grouper or snapper, so they can be thoroughly cooked without burning the nuts.

Nice triggers, by the way. Are those Gray Triggerfish? If so, that larger one would be a better than average fish up here.

• I think they're ocean Triggerfish because they didn't have the long tail fins. The one on the right was a good size. I think I just read someone on SB shot a possible world record triggerfish today.

Ocean triggerfish.

Gray Triggerfish

• If I saw that swim up to me I'd shit myself from fright! :laughing3: :D

BTW queen triggers have the same flesh as ocean triggers. I used to catch them in Cuba. There they're called cochino (pig). You can't shoot them here though they're considered ornamental.

• Good stuff DAN. I like it. It reminded me of a Seinfeld episode in which Newman was hallucinating and looking at a cooked turkey with Kramer's head on it and talking back to him: "Hey Buddy". Funny stuff.

• Depth on this day was 40-50ft. I gut my fish at the surface. The current takes it away before it ever gets to the bottom. The only thing I've seen this attract is mackerels. Many times the current doesn't permit us to stay over one spot.

Then swim against the current and let the chum fall to the bottom. Here it works amazingly. If there are any muttons close by, they for sure will show up.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Marco,

I'm not sure if you've fished in So. Florida but the currents there can be brutal at times. I haven't experienced any strong currents here in PR yet. And you're right about the chumming and Samas here BTW!

• The kind of viz we had this day is what keeps me coming back. Unfortunately it looks like windy days ahead and poor conditions for diving. I'll try to keep the memory of that blue water in my mind. But as we well know there's no rhyme or rhythm to visibility off Miami.

• Marco,

I'm not sure if you've fished in So. Florida but the currents there can be brutal at times. I haven't experienced any strong currents here in PR yet. And you're right about the chumming and Samas here BTW!

Julio,

Yes, I have fished in SF and also in Venezuela, where you can swim in a river of murky water. Even in PR I´ve found strong currents several times. Normally at "Los Platos" banks you find strong currents. Also when you are diving close to "La Pared" at La Parguera or in Guanica, not to mention a spot we have at the North of San Juan, that we call "Las coronas". And even if it is a PITA, you can swim against the current and guess where the chum is going to finally fall. If the "Pirañas" (Black triggerfish) let the chum arrive to the bottom and you are in the right place and time (which is now), you will for sure see the big fat muttons.

These days I´m not chumming at all to avoid the temptation to shoot them... Next month for sure not!

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• These days I´m not chumming at all to avoid the temptation to shoot them... Next month for sure not!

Amen to that!;):thumbsup2:

Oye, Luisito tiene un nuevo juguete que te quiere enseñar. Espero que te guste.

Saludos hermano.

Julio

• Beautiful! Having to see it on SB first.. despicable. Exquisite work on the handle. BTW please ask your friend to join us here, or maybe he's Luisin.

:laughing3: Se enpingo el tipo!!!!

Julio,
    nice handle and great looking gun..

• Wow, I think it is the first time I see Dan in a picture. Usually he is the one hiding behind the camera. Nice catch by the way.