DiveR Fins Unlocked

• Well, since your report was locked and I didn't want to hijack pucho's thread I figured I would start my own. I think that the DiveR blades are way too long. They remind me of the Riffe fins but in fiberglass. In my opinion a blade ranging from 70-80 cm max is the ideal length depending on the size of the person using them. Man has copied nature in multiple ways to achieve his goal. We looked at a bird and we made a plane, this is just one of many examples. I don't know of any fish that has a huge fin to body ratio. I am completely aware of the muscle arrangement and physical differences but there has to be a balance.

I have used many fins starting from plastics to the carbons. There is no need to go into the differences that these different materials offer since this has been discussed in other threads. I have found that carbon blades outperform fiberglass and plastic fins. They are much lighter and much more reactive (Dan should be able to easily see this with his new test subject). It is true that some are more durable than others but that has to do with the resin/manufacture process they go through. My personal favorites are the carbontek 75 in medium (blade is 21cm wide by 75 cm long). I've had people step on them, I have jumped feet first from boats with them and they still there. I know that they are pricy but they are damn worth it. This doesn't mean go out and buy the most expensive ones you can find now but if you know someone that owns a pair he/she is nice enough to let you use them (on more than one dive) give them a try and you will know what you want for the upcoming Christmas.

• The reason the thread is locked is because I wanted to finish the writeup before people start commenting. I didn't know it was going to take me this long to finish it. I tried to do a thorough job of assessing all those blades and coming to a solid conclusion. I have one more pair of fiberglass blades to test but since the focus is on the DiveR I should be finished today, so if you want you can comment there http://spearfishing.world/divi…er-edge-and-waterway.html I can tell you right now that the carbon blades are very nice and I will be selling them. They will be the cheapest carbon blades on the market. They are also very durable. I still think fiberglass blades have their place.

• I like a lot Riffe fins as long as they are, for overall swimming, they are really soft and the footpocket rocks. The swimworldfins are in a league of their own, i have a pair of new matrix # 2 and i could not be more happy with them :)

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Hi Marcos, I am really sorry and surprised to hear you had issues with Carbontek. I've been a customer of both him and his son (dbsub.com) and I couldn't be happier. At one point I bought a pair of blades but when I got them they were different in stiffness. I contacted him and he sent a new pair and told me to keep the first ones for spares. I didn't keep them but I thought that was a cool way of showing they were sorry for their mistake. I totally respect your opinion though, I have similar issues with US retailers that people claim to be great. By the way I wish I could fish with you guys one day in la parguera or somewhere near it.

So Dan, what are you going to call your carbon fins? What stiffness will you carry? Warranty and specs would be nice to have too.

• I don't know how but you alwasys find stuff like that and I think that's great. The spearfishing/freediving market needs it. Judging by the pictures they look really good. One more question: where are you going to sell them?

• There's no retail location planned at the moment if that's what you mean. For starters they will be marketed online and ordered through PM, email or over the phone. Anyone that's in the area is welcome to come to my house, handle the blades and even jump in the pool to try them out.

• Yeah, I figured you would post them on-line or something. Jumping in the pool is a cool idea. When do you think you will be ready? Is it going to be just the blades or footpockets too?

• It will have to be footpockets too but I figure for now people can get the pockets elsewhere. I think the blades will be available in time for summer. I still have to test the hard stiffness. I felt the medium may be too soft for me but I have to confirm on an actual dive. I don't think I will carry the soft version.

• I know greekdiver likes the soft blades but I THINK that most people go for the medium or hard blades. Best of lucks with these fins. Looking forward to hear the price and blade specs.

• Dan as a bottomline, tell me straight, which one is your overall favorite.

Can't say yet. I'm leaning towards the carbon but l have to try them on an actual dive and figure out which stiffness is right for me. If not the carbon then I prefer to use my old waterway blades. I still have to try another pair of glass blades with an angle.

• The thing is that if you use the softest blades you can forget about swimming against the current if you needed to. For the diving we do around FL I like the #2, not too hard but not too soft just perfect.

Edited once, last by Adrian ().

• Because i was out i didnt get to see this thread but Pargo if you get any numbers any time soon You know i'm in the market for fins. Will like Carbon. I contacted DBSub and they got good prices on their carbon fins. But you know how i operate if it's open for buying i can definitly make arrangements for it. Now that i got my gun and i'm happy i can concentrate on fins. Wetsuits will be my last stop. Though i understand all your comments and the differences in fins. I just share the same easy philosophy, of getting a fin not to hard and confortable that will not cause to much stress to your legs. and still able to move you fast. I'm a big guy with weak akles due to many injuries.But i still remember been able to move against current with plastic so i think carbon will fix the little issues i had with old plastic. and i know glass will perform good as well. I will never go for hard fins because i'm afraid of getting re injured. but medium stiffness. is my favorite choice.

Dan send me a PM when you get your prices.