Hands free equalization

• This is just a simple question, just curious how many of you compensate by pinching the nose?. I know with all the years i dont touch my nose at all. And when i really need to because of congestion it feels weird as hell. I use my throat. easier for me and faster. I learned this while spearfishing at nights. Speargun in one hand and the light in the other. :D. But i wonder how many old spearos use this technique out there.

• i wish i could equalise without my hands all the time...I try and succeed about three times per diving day, but most of the time it is pinch and blow

i like to spear fish

• i wish i could equalise without my hands all the time...I try and succeed about three times per diving day, but most of the time it is pinch and blow

Well it feels like just swallowing your own spit, but you dont swallow anything, is just using the muscles on your throat to push air in to the ear drums to make them go back in place. I know for some people this make no sense, but when you get so used to it. you dont want to touch yor nose at all. I have to be really sick and have bad congestion to touch my nose to cause more air pressure againt the ear drums. I guess if you practice more often you will get use to it. For me is easy and good because you dont have to break your form going down keeping your form straight without extra movements. i know there got to be a few outthere that use this technique often. And when fighting a fish , if you get drag down you always have your 2 hands available. and dont have to stop to conpensate

• Core,

Interesting thread. I guess it all depends on the individual. Some freedivers can equalize easier than others. I'm one of those that can equalize hands-free one day and may not be able to do it the next. Some can EQ hands-free all the time and some due to a deviated septum or some other type of nasal problem cannot equalize without the help of their fingers (pinching).

You're just one of those lucky ones.:rolleyes1:

Julio

• :laughing3: you right Julio.

Though is rare i have to touch my nose there is times i have to do it, and feels very weird. I remember back in the days i was one of those that will get in the water and will bleed trough the nose a lot trying to equalize kind of like my friend (anthonysub) but with lots of practice and water time i master it and i remember not touching my nose for months.. When i got in the ARMY the doctor tought my eardrums where abnormal. When i told him i was a diver he laugh and he said my eardrums look like they are in steroids. so they test me, because he tought i have busted my eardrms in the past. and i told him no. the reasults were just normal, he couldnt beleive it. poor doctor, he will never understand that we are fish that walk trough mankind:D:laughing3:

• You can learn how to do it. It is an important topic in the italian freediving courses.

I'm too lazy for that...

But at the end of each day, I can equalize hands free. I wish I could do it from the begining, but as I said, I have never took my time to practise that. :(

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• En mi caso no se lo que pasa pero llevo alrededor de 3 mese con mocosidad. simpre me e pichado la nariz, si eh tratado de no hacerlo y solo mover lo musculo de la garganta pero seme ase imposible ecualizar asi.

Cuando paso los 20 pies ahi empiesa el problema me duelen lo hoidos y cuando saco la cabeza que soplo pura sangre con mocosidad.

tambien ahi ocaciones que el hoido no me molesta en obsoluto bajo de lo mas bn pero cuando saco la cabeza sangre nueva mente con mocosidad.

que sera?