14 ft Tiger shark caught off Key Biscaine

• http://cbs4.com/local/Mark.The.Shark.2.1013266.html

• This is not the first time a huge Tiger has been caught in that area. I know Mark, he's a bit of a premadonna and is not well liked in many fishing circles. My brother-in-law was his deckhand for many years. I met him through a commercial spearo, Tony Miranda. He's the guy that always calls Tony for Cuda meat to use as bait for the sharks.

I rememeber a few years back a very large Tiger was caught in the waters of Government Cut. Of all the years diving down there, every time I dove down that drop off in the cut in that murky water, I can never get too comfortable knowing that so many sharks frequent that area. Most folks would be surprised on the number of sharks and shark species that swim in and out of the cut. I bet the tourist swimming and splashing in South Beach will love it.

• I am not sure why the a dead shark is a good shark idea still exists. We see sharks here often and have to deal with them regularly and while I do not like loosing fish to them I am very hesitant to cull them or injure them. As a matter of fact the last time we were out Rolo and I both took large cobia that were following bull sharks. In this way I feel the sharks and I are about even...they take a few and then they bring me a few.

The rush you get when you see a apex predator in its element doing what it does best is ranks up there with the most thrilling things I have had the pleasure of experiencing. As far as that particular shark being a threat to humans....I doubt it had much potential for it. Almost all of the shark attacks in Florida occur in the surf zone and usually spinners, blacktips or small lemons are the culprits. Ankle biters not "MONSTA" sharks are the ones that are likely to cause you harm. That 12ftr is like a old growth sequoia....a living testament to natures grandeur. Let them live if at all possible....now I wouldn't mind tying up to one for a tug of war but killing it for it's jaws...not for me anymore.

• You can say that because you've never had a tiger shark try to eat you. That's not to say it doesn't happen. Roberto Reyes' friend has experienced it, so has Terry Maas, so has Ryan from SB, others didn't get off that easy. It happens in an instant, one moment you're "admiring" natures creation and the next you're being uncreated in it's stomach. Look at statistics, tiger sharks are man eaters, that's a fact. I don't care about the jaws. I do want it killed if it's around. I know a place where every ounce of it's flesh will be eaten. A shark that has the potential to do me harm due to it's inherent temperament traits, size, and location is my enemy. I think nothing of taking it out the same as the shark thinks nothing of killing another fish. The fact that in American culture it will be difficult to find someone who will eat it is an unfortunate but secondary matter. This doesn't mean that I advocate Mark the shark type of behavior. I'm respectful and serious about taking a life.

It is a basic instinct to fear and hate a dangerous shark. With the passage of time nothing happens and you get lulled into complacency about the animal. But it's an illusion and the hard reality is it only takes one experience to put things into perspective again, a very personal perspective.

• I am not sure why the a dead shark is a good shark idea still exists. We see sharks here often and have to deal with them regularly and while I do not like loosing fish to them I am very hesitant to cull them or injure them. As a matter of fact the last time we were out Rolo and I both took large cobia that were following bull sharks. In this way I feel the sharks and I are about even...they take a few and then they bring me a few.

The rush you get when you see a apex predator in its element doing what it does best is ranks up there with the most thrilling things I have had the pleasure of experiencing. As far as that particular shark being a threat to humans....I doubt it had much potential for it. Almost all of the shark attacks in Florida occur in the surf zone and usually spinners, blacktips or small lemons are the culprits. Ankle biters not "MONSTA" sharks are the ones that are likely to cause you harm. That 12ftr is like a old growth sequoia....a living testament to natures grandeur. Let them live if at all possible....now I wouldn't mind tying up to one for a tug of war but killing it for it's jaws...not for me anymore.

well put Emil

• Self defense or food, that's it.
    Emil, bulls come up to the surf zone and probably account for most of the fatal attacks in Florida. But the fact is that most attacks are sharks mistaking us for something else.

Dan,
    it happens. We're in their habitat. In the sharks perspective, we are fighting for dominance and territory. Some will fight for both. Other larger sharks will eat whatever they can because of hunger. I think expecting sharks not to be sharks is crazy. If there's a dead fish to be eaten sharks will fight each other for it. Do you think that they won't fight you?

Edited once, last by Toledo ().

• You can say that because you've never had one try to eat you. That's not to say it doesn't happen. Roberto Reyes' friend has experienced it, so has Terry Maas, so has Ryan from SB, others didn't get off that easy. Look at statistics, tiger sharks are man eaters, that's a fact. I don't care about the jaws. I do want it killed if it's around. I know a place where every ounce of it's flesh will be eaten.

I have had a few very close calls so I understand having to dispatch one that is causing anyone particular concern. I would not hesitate to kill one if I felt very threatened and I would never second guess anyone elses' decision to protect themselves if they should feel it was necessary. I have also seen several that would not have been particularly hard to kill but at my discretion they seemed to not be determined to attack....inquisitive but not overly aggressive.

As far as statistics they seem to prove quite the opposite.....I bet far more people are "eaten" or killed by dogs than by sharks but I don't go around trying to rid the world of mastiffs or pitbulls even though I see them much more than I see 12ft tiger sharks. Recently JC and I saw a 14ft+ hammerhead that looked like a jumbo jet underwater....he came around 3-4 times and I still have dreams about that one....simply amazing!

PS I fished with the South Beach shark fishing club when I was in highschool and one of the members landed a 14ft tiger from the beach on 12/0 stand up gear in 1990. I was there and we all helped drag it up on shore for pics...when we were through we tried to drag it back out but unfortunately it did not recover from the trauma of the fight. It's belly contained 20+ pups and when we cut her open some of them where alive and mature enough to swim off when we put them in the water. We all felt bad for killing the big girl unintentionally but who knows maybe the shark in the story is one of those pups.

• I see emil's point of killing the shark for no reason.

I DO agree with the fact of killing a shark if it threatens my life ,or the life of a fellow diver.

In mark's website i saw that he labled a 16 ft hammerhead a maneater for sure. I have been in the water with hammerhead's close to that size, and they have showed no hostile behavior, although i think if they showed the slightest aggresion towards me i would of put a shaft through their head, let go of the gun, and swim back to the boat.

I remember roberto's story and I can assure any experience with a shark of that size and nature in the water is NOT a good one.

I am also sure if you are in the water constantly, and you do this sport long enough. an encounter like
    roberto's is unevitable.

• Self defense or food, that's it.
    Emil, bulls come up to the surf zone and probably account for most of the fatal attacks in Florida. But the fact is that most attacks are sharks mistaking us for something else.

I am very aware of the bull sharks in the surf...you want to see some from the past few weeks caught from the beach go here (these are all Florida the first two very close to my house):

Team Oldskool doing it "old school"
    http://www.landbasedsharkfishi…forum/viewtopic.php?t=317

Team Rebel:
    http://www.landbasedsharkfishi…forum/viewtopic.php?t=316

ILSFA Wold Record shortfin mako from Pcola (Pensacola, Fl) pelagic sharkin' redneck style:
    http://www.landbasedsharkfishi…forum/viewtopic.php?t=323

• You had close calls with sharks seeing you as food or attracted to your fish?

Both...here is a story from February 2008...very close call

Cherry Poppin on the Treasure Coast
    During the last several days Mandy and I have had the pleasure of hosting a visit from one of our closest friends. Our friend Bree mentioned long before her visit that the only thing she HAD to do while here was to get in the ocean, spear a fish or two and prepare a meal of her catch. All of this seemed like a good plan to us so we counted the days till her visit, prayed to the weather gods, hatched a plan and scheduled a dive out of our home waters on the Treasure Coast. Just a note Bree is from the beautiful state of Oregon and although outdoor recreation is a way of life for many of the residents there being from the eastern side of the state makes ocean visits rare and this would be only her second time freediving. Her first freedive ever was actually on another visit with us where we took her to the keys almost three years ago for a very basic shore dive.

Sunday came early...well early to some (yours truly) and not so early for others (ie team GLOS Gorgeous Ladies Of Spearfishing). Preparations were complete and we made haste some time after high noon. Knowing that this was to be more of a pleasure trip than anything I decided to keep things shallow and concentrate on spots where the sight seeing would be best. Things started off brilliantly with Mandy stoning a big sheepshead just seconds after hitting the water and nearing the structure. Her success and excitement was contagious and a short while later I managed a mongolid sheepshead and called Bree over to spear one of the other curious buddies my fish left behind. Bree executed a perfect dive, stalked her fish cautiously and put a solid shot together bringing her her fist speared fish. Her elation was clear as she gleamed with her accomplishment and thanked us for the opportunity to give this sport a try. After due congratulations and backslapping we sorted our spears but before we got going again Mandy wisely suggested we go and deposit our fish in the boat.

I say wisely because although we were each consumed with the joy of gin clear water, large fish, early success and perfect conditions Mandy recalled that this very spot had recently produced an encounter of the gray suit kind for her and I on an earlier dive. Although the encounter was brief it could have easily turned into a bite. The first time it happened I ended up with a cut float line, two lost fish and a troubling excited charge from a frenzied reef shark. That time the fish, when strung, were allowed to travel the length of the float line ending up right next to the float so fending off that shark off proved impossible.

I too recalled the encounter and reasoned that keeping the fish close to my body this time using the float line by tying them off about a foot from the handle of my gun might discourage the taxman or give me some extra time to prepare a proper defense. Our anchored boat was now almost 300 feet from were we were. I volunteered to save the girls the trip to the boat and do it alone so I could deposit all of our fish, pull the hook and relocate the boat closer to our target rich location. The first fish Mandy harvested was left close to where it was shot and I secured it to the bottom using a large flat loose piece of bottom to weigh it down I was nearing that location only 40 feet from the boat and made a quick dive to retrieve it. That is when “it” happened.

Now most of the way to Mandy’s fish on the bottom I feel a large object of the fishy kind making contact with my leg from my ankle to my waist. I turn around and I have a 7ft reef shark literally on top of me firmly clinging and chomping the larger of the two strung fish. I have felt the thrill and fear of some wise and not so wise decisions and happenings on my trips afield but I can not accurately describe just how I felt at that very moment. No warning, noise, hints…..just a mouth full of teeth and a thrashing beast instantly devouring fins, flesh and scales. Remember these fish were attached to my gun via the float line so the first thing to leave my person was my loaded gun. After some violent headshakes it made for parts temporarily unknown with the whole lot in tow until the float line gave way. The other half of the 9lb fish (with a neat half circle bite taken out) floated to the bottom a short distance away. My now gunless float line had fish number 2 still attached and dangling mid water. The shark liked that first snack so much he instantly returned making violent lunges and passes at a now seriously freaked out and unarmed spearo. The shark keyed in on me naturally since to him I was the last confirmed source of piscine comestibles. Pucker factor 10 and I have no doubt a well positioned piece of coal would have surely rendered flawless diamonds. All I can say is thanks to my long fins and a well placed stabbing kick the shark swam about 15-20feet away and finally the smell of the blood from the half sheep on the bottom told him where he could resume his feasting. Picking up that last half seemed to satisfy his hunger and he left me there in shock. I am sure it took less than a minute but time has a way of slowing down when such events occur.

Elated to be otherwise intact I began to search for my gun. Took some time though…hard to concentrate on the bottom when you are checking your six every 2 or three seconds. I looked for the girls before this and Mandy’s face told me she understood what happened. Turns out the shark swam close enough for her to almost touch and it was clearly on a beeline to me. Gun now in hand I grasped the tattered end of the float line with fish number two and retrieved the first one from under the rock. A quick dash to the boat and I was now a happy camper. I pulled the hook and brought the boat to the girls and we all took a well deserved break from the action. Iced down the fish, tied a knot in the float line and re-rigged my outfit. After a few minutes we discussed new rules of engagement which now included mandatory trips to the boat for anything harvested without exception.

We each took a few more sheepshead and although my crew was satisfied with our results my spidey senses tingled and I begged for a little solo time in the water to hunt for a “biggun”. Boy am I glad I made that decision. This is the second best for a species I often describe as my favorite fish. This one as well as my PB came from the skinny water to boot. We snapped a few pics and headed for home….enjoy Dive safe and Happy Hunting!

PS Notice the teeth marks on the sheep in the stringer pics. That was the other fish strung on the float line. When he grabbed the bigger one the overbite shredded that small patch on fish two. I didn't notice his presence until he shook and his body made contact with my leg. I know I was just super lucky because in the position I was holding the gun the fish were resting on my hip when I was swimming on top. I figure that when I made my dive the fish were probably suspended just above my butt when he hit them. The power and speed they have is just incredible...this was not jaws (med size reef shark) but there was no holding on to the gun much less ripping the fish from his grasp. Looking back over the event I am sure the fish he hit was not completely stoned. He had the dangling fish in front of him after the initial strike and swam past it several times. He had the now half a fish directly under him but his bite took all the life out of it and even though it was pouring out copious amounts of blood he passed by it without notice. The blood may have made him curious but the pulses of a wounded or dying fish to a shark is irresistible.

• Both bad encounters I've had, the shark was after the fish. At least this is what I believe. I've had a very large Female HH swim around gracefully with her pups without as much as a glance at us. All I can say is that some people get use to diving in these situations and find it normal. I feel that once this happens, you're letting down your guard. Why don't we see hunters in Africa going through the jungle fighting with lions for their prey? Shooting antelope off of a Lions back and then rushing it and fighting it for dominance? Crazy huh? What's the difference? At least on dry land we have a breath of a chance....