Fixing carbon blades

• Well the blades were sold to me that way, now that i know that, it does make sense to me. Since carbon fiber is suppossed to be stronger than other materials and me knowing little about carbon fiber issues i neglected the possibility of a fin snap. Not a good thing to have though. You can´t go filming and posting a video on how strong are carbon blades if they are going to split or tear or snap if a couple of holles are drilled on them. And even more, that means that they won´t snap if they are just glued in the event of a foot pocket coming out? The fins were glued by the way, yo will notice that in the pics.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• When you guys say that you use instant glue ,do you mean like ''crazy glue''? Because if that the case that means that the glue is ''CA'' (CYANOACRILATE) based glue and therefore you could go into a hobbyshop that caters to modelers(rc airplanes/boats/cars) and buy what we call ''CA''. It comes in different thickness, meaning thin/real watery, medium/like thin syrup and thick/like gel.There is also a liquid called ''acelerator'' to make it (the ''CA'') cure/set faster and also a ''debonder'' for when you need to disasseble. Hope this help you guys.Just my 2 cents.

Yes like crazy glue. Interesting post. How would you get a debonder in between two surfaces? Does CA come in different strengths?

You can´t go filming and posting a video on how strong are carbon blades if they are going to split or tear or snap if a couple of holles are drilled on them.

Sure I can. Carbon fin technology has advanced a lot over the last few you years. Carbon fins were known to be fragile based on past experiences. I stayed away from carbon fins for this reason until now. This is no longer the case and I have the proof in my hands. I don't know what process is used to make the C4. The holes must have contributed to the breaking but maybe the C4 blades are just not as strong in the first place. Ask the owner of C4 blades to do what I did to mine. I'll make some more vids of smashing them against a brick wall later. Maybe I'll drill holes into them too.

• i think the conclusion here is obvious, drilling carbon fiber weakens the entire surface area of the blade. that being coupled with the holes being at a high stress point in the blade= failure.

• So it seems that doing a search on c4 doesn´t help too much look at these links and notice the screws and such :
    http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=84289&highlight=c4+falcons

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=77790&highlight=c4+falcons

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=64053&highlight=c4+falcons&page=2

This guy says " My beloved" , and then the screws look a bit rusty, so i guess is a common thing to drill holes on them... In the third link the pic is in the second page. Now people are realizing is a silly thing. A siilly thing is to sell expensive stuff like that without warning and advicing the proper way to use it.

• i think the conclusion here is obvious, drilling carbon fiber weakens the entire surface area of the blade.

Carbon is not like glass where if you get a fracture in one spot the whole piece is compromised. I'd say if there's more than one hole and the holes are parallel across the width of the blade then it does create a weakness along that line. Especially at a high stress point like the bend.

• Pargo; the debonder is a liquid that makes the ''CA'' brittle thanks to a chemical reaction allowing you to separate the bonded parts.You just apply it over the joint.The ''CA'' it's a real strong glue same if not stronger than ''crazy glue''.I don't think it comes in different strenghts but it comes in different degrees of purity(that's what the different manufacturers say). It does come in different thickness(viscuosity ?) like i said before for different applications ex. so it won't sag, bridge gaps or gluing by capillary action which is cool because it allows you to assemble the part and then glue by touching the joint with the applicator and make a good glue joint whitout the mess. If any of you would like to try it , let me know and I will give you a few pointers.

• Thank you everyone. I had went through a real cabronada with the cabronas carbon fins.

In spite of that, I will be officially the first pargo´s carbon fins costumer though. :) The video shows that the blades are strong enough to withstand extreme bending even without the foot pocket sides ...

• I took the broken fin to a friend´s workshop and he said to me : " it ain´t too bad, I´ll fix it in no time, give me the fin and come here tomorrow: These are the results of some Mexican Mojo:

FIXED!! Let see how this end ups

• Yup, Pargo and Marco it is a fiberglass bonding, this guy is a panga artist, and the fiberglass sole bonds perfect and it looks pretty solid to me, he guaranteed me that the blade would never brake, snap or ever come off. Let see how a continous use on this blades stresses the carbon blade. i had bent it with bad intent (trying to actually snap the dang blade) and so far so good, let´s put the fix to the test though ... :naughty:

:popcorn3:

:flagmex:

The fix costed me 5 bucks ...

• If I understand correctly, he applied one (or more) layers of fiberglass to each side of the fin?

If that's the case, then my two cents is that the repair is probably stronger than the original. The thickness of the carbon fiber in the middle of the new "sandwich" is like the foam core of a surfboard. All it really does is provide separation between the upper and lower fiberglass surfaces. The further apart the upper and lower surfaces, the stronger the structure (all other things being equal). The only downside is that it is likely to make things stiffer as well. So the hard part, and where your friends artistry comes in, is balancing strength against the needed flexibility for a fin.

Another thing that I've learned lately is that the direction of the fibers makes a great deal of difference in the final outcome. When guys make custom carbon fiber bicycles, they use layers of cloth that have almost all of the fibers running in one direction. They orient the cloth so that the fibers run in the direction to provide the greatest strength in the right direction for whatever the part is.

• Those are my sentiments exactly. The repair is stonger than the original blade, and it will become stiffer, let´s see what happens in the long term. I am going to give the fix a try on wednesday, an i will write a full report. (or a fool report? :D) Thank you for your opinions.