Fixing carbon blades

• I got a pair of the so called c4 falcons 40 stiffness, they were in tip top condition from a guy who has kept them collecting dust for a while. I gave them a try and they performed awesome the first 5 minutes, they rocketed my way up and down as a frigging submarine. :rolleyes1: when i was in the middle of my third attempt to reach the 20 meters mark i suddenly feel the right fin too light, i got back to the surface and i discovered that the foot pocket had come off. I called the boat to discover a nasty crack on the fins. I paid a fair big buck for them, and i can tell you it aint no more carbon for me , :nono: any duck feet is better than this. Is there any possibility to fix them up with some epoxy or something or i am totally doomed?? :(:frustrated2:

• Looks like it broke along the line of the holes, they must have weakened the material along that line. The only way to salvage something is to cut that piece off and shape the back of what's left to fit in the pocket. You'll get a shorter straighter blade.

Were the holes made exactly where the blade bends?

• There's two methods of making carbon fiber parts. One is the ''wet'' carbon method wich is similar to working with fiberglass in that you soak the carbon mat or roving with resin and let the part cure and then trim/finish etc. This method is used for parts that you want to have the carbon look but it's not as strong and lightweight as the other method wich is ''dry'' carbon in wich the carbon part it's bonded(resin and mat/roving) using a vacuum and put in an autoclave to cure.I have no experience with carbon fins but i would assume they're made using the ''dry'' carbon method wich it would be giving the application very if not impossible to repair.

• Damn, if is that so, they should had shaped better the blades so they don`t come off the dang foot pockets. I have several fins and this is the first time a foot pocket came out this way. The carbon fins are maybe the awesome, but they lasted 15 minutes to me. I don`t think they sell one blade alone either, so it`s not a good thing to be involved with carbon fins, i could have bought three pairs of fiberglass fins for the prize of those, and believe me the difference in performance is negligible, maybe a bit lighter and a bit more responsive but that`s it. Anyway i hadn`t had the opportunitty to get a better idea, cause they lasted like ten whole minutes.. :( so i`m now coming to realize where this fins damn rep of breaking off comes from . I am just a regular spearo with some extra money to spend for some good gear, but come on ...

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• If the foot pocket side comes off, the blade will brake for sure,
    there is no way around it.

It sounds like a regular issue, they should assure a way in which the foot pocket doesn`t come out easily, and that`s ought to be from the factory. if we have to glue here and glue there in order to keep them in place, i call that lousy quality. Those are maybe excellent blades but the combo sucks. I figure it out that`s why they keep offering odd shaped foot pockets that are not possible to change as in the hiddeous mustangs and flaps.

They should advertise in their warranty, " this fins will last for years if the foot pocket doesn`t come out , once you are in the open sea fighting strong currents with a speared fish, and your foot pocket comes out, say bye bye to your fins, cause they will last two strokes, then you may say bye bye too your life too" We are not responsible for foot pockets coming off the fins, our responsability ends finishing the blades, we are not even related to omer, sporasub or any other blrand, blame on them for not fitting a foot pocket capable to stay in our amazing blades ...

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I don't use screws on my carbon fins. They are hold in place by the tendons alone and some black 5200 which runs all along the very edge of the fin. If you do a little searching you will see that many people manufacturers included recommend using super glue to hold the blade in the footpocket by placing a drop in key areas. I am sorry to hear the blade broke but I am sure you can purchase them individually at www.scubasworld.com.

• yup, they came mounted on Omer milleniums

It's said that holes in carbon will weaken it. I'm don't think 2 holes in a flat area will weaken the blade to the point of it snapping along that line under normal use, still much better chances with just one hole. All of you should realize that there's no necessity to have 2 screws securing the blade into the f/p. But 2 holes along an obvious high stress line such as the bend in the blade is not smart. Anyways as far as securing the blade in the pockets it's best when the f/p tendons snap well onto the little rubber rails on the blade. Then you don't need anything else, maybe at most a few drops of glue.

5200 BTW is nothing but a sealant which fills up space. It helps a tiny bit as far as eliminating the space to have something wiggle itself free. Instant glue actually bonds.

As far the strength and durability of today's carbon blades here's a little test I did on ours.

Video: Carbon fin test

• sorry to hear about your problem. I also think the problem was that the holes were right on the bend. I owned c4s briefly and I the holes were placed well above the bend. C4s are good blades, it's too bad that this is leaving a bad taste on carbon blades for you, you should try other brand.

the holes is also becoming a thing of the past, for obvious reasons, I like the screwless installation of the Carbonteks and now OMER. I glued a palstic tab on the bottom of my CTs, slid them into the OMER pockets, tab goes in, then glued the tips of the pocket tendons to the rubber rails, they aren't coming off.

here is a picture of my C4s, note the hole placement.

did you get the blades from a store or a second hand buyer? I'm thinking the screws were done place incorrectly on those blades

• 5200 BTW is nothing but a sealant which fills up space. It helps a tiny bit as far as eliminating the space to have something wiggle itself free. Instant glue actually bonds.

This is what I have always used and no problems yet. Pablo from Spetton was who directed me to use this high strength marine adhesive/sealant. Plus since it doesn't actually bond (as pargo mentioned) you don't destroy the tendons or the blade rail upon removal when swapping blades.

• Yes that's the whole point, that it doesn't destroy everything if you want to disassemble it later. The idea I was trying to get across is that it does it's job as far as keeping the blades in the pockets by something close to suction. I wish there was an adhesive slightly weaker than instant glue, that would be perfect. But I think in the case of rubber and fiber real adhesives either bond or not. Now when I say bond I mean that the two materials become fused together to the point that if you try to pull them apart they'll break at another point other than the bond. In the case of rubber and fiber obviously the fiber will not break so the rubber gives way. Sometimes it will let go at the bond and other times it will tear. It would be very good to find a middle ground. Or something that will dissolve the bond and not stain either rubber or fiber.

• In Europe they use sikaflex or something along those lines. I know of people that use 4200 rather than 5200 because it has a weaker bond making it easier to remove.

• From an engineering standpoint that is the best combination to insure failure. A hole by itself weakens the local area by a factor of atleast three and combine with the bend it has a similar additive effect.

What makes the blade strong is the carbon fiber. The epoxy just keeps it all together. Since all the fibers are broken in that critical section the epoxy will do very little.

Davie Peguero

• When you guys say that you use instant glue ,do you mean like ''crazy glue''? Because if that the case that means that the glue is ''CA'' (CYANOACRILATE) based glue and therefore you could go into a hobbyshop that caters to modelers(rc airplanes/boats/cars) and buy what we call ''CA''. It comes in different thickness, meaning thin/real watery, medium/like thin syrup and thick/like gel.There is also a liquid called ''acelerator'' to make it (the ''CA'') cure/set faster and also a ''debonder'' for when you need to disasseble. Hope this help you guys.Just my 2 cents.

• i use black silicone. Works great! Im sure 5200 and 4200 work great too. I would try out 4200 first in black of course.

You never need to use screws. :nono: