Open muzzle line wrap - Pin vs. Plate?

• I'm sketching up an open muzzle design that I want to try on my hybrid. Although I'm generally familar with the way the shooting line wraps, are there any details that I should pay special attention to?

For example, is a simple pin as effective as a small countoured plate? Is the difference only cosmetic?

Any secrets to where the pin should be located? Or will pretty much anywhere on the muzzle do?

Pictures of any installs that you considered especially good, or especially bad, would be great. Thanks.

• I think a Pin will do the same job. As far as location i always have seen them just in front of the band holes in the nose area. I think that is the only place you can put it actually. If not the Bands will interfere a little. I could be wrong. Now do the Open Muzzle rise above the tube by a lot? or is almost flush or just a little higher of the top part of the tube? Some muzzles i've seen the wraping method i dont like. But for that looking at those Open muzzles for railguns can get you a better idea on how to proceed. I will like to see the end result of your product. Are you going with delrim?. I bet is going to look sweet. You always pull something innovative out there:thumbsup2: GOOD Luck

• I don't think that the position of the pin as far as distance from the muzzle is critical, what's more important is the angle at which it juts out of the stock. It's tricky to devise a way for the pin to attach to the stock and not pivot. It's not just a matter of drilling a hole and pushing it in. Also if the gun gets thrown around on the boat the pin tends to hit things first and can chip the wood. I prefer the plate.

• http://makospearguns.com/details.php?prodId=139&category=11

I know you have seen it many times. But if you get this idea from mako and shape it better to your taste i know you can make it look way better . maybe shaping the delrim in the area for the pin will give you the little piece you need to hold the line without having to put a pin at all. Just one solid piece of delrim. Will look better & cleaner. We have seen what you can do with that material. you think is too hard to shape it to leave a little wedge for that purpose. ?

• Dan - Good point that a nearly flush plate might resist damage better.

Alvin - I don't think that I can leave a little nub of delrin like the photos. And so far as I know, you can't reliably glue delrin to delrin. I'll have to attach a separate guide, but I think I can make something that looks like it belongs.

• TinMan--is there a reason that you cannot use the same line wrap design that RA uses on their open muzzle?
    The RA wrap has been working great for me and looks clean and easy. Just my opinion.

• I was looking at some pictures. I also wondered if some of the tighter rail gun wraps would be a problem with a shark finned shaft? I can see where a notched shaft would glide smoothly beneath a tighter wrap.

• I'll see if I can relocate the pictures. In some muzzles, the wrap of the line seemed more torturous, and I wondered if the line would actually lift up as you describe, or simply peel off the front after the shaft had passed.

Edited 2 times, last by Guest ().

• This is what I meant by a more "torturous" path for the shooting line. It would be very easy to make this arrangement, as it would simply require two short pins projecting from the front of the muzzle. They would only need to be 1/4" long, and could be relatively large diameter since they wouldn't stick up above the top of the gun and be in the sight line.

I can see where this would work fine for notched shafts. But I wondered if the shooting line would clear in time, or if shark finned shafts might be a problem.

• No particular reason, and I'm certainly not opposed to doing it the standard way. I just got to looking around, and noticed that there were different ways of wrapping the line, and wondered what the advantages or disadvantages might be to each.

• Jeff, i think the material the line is made from would come into play..due to the relative stiffness of mono, i think it does actually lift up as tyhe spear is shot because mono doesn't bend that fast and the foreard movement of the spear would force the end of the line to move...if the shooting line was, say, soft dyneema, i think it would definately catch in the configuration above.... just a thought

i like to spear fish