Diving with the F.N.G.

• (Fucking New Guy):D

Recently I was invited to go out with a new guy at work. He doesn't spearfish or freedive but he knew that I did. I had some reservations about going(don't know why) but I went anyways. He does like to lobster but with a hookah rig. No biggie I figured I brought an extra gun for him anyways. We spent half the morning lobstering 30-40fsw. I even tried the hookah. Pretty cool, but after a while it was annoying. We got our limit and then I had him take me to couple patch reefs for some drift dives. Got a couple hogs,and mutton. Towards the end of the day I was sitting on the gunnel ready to go in as he put me on the spot. He says go, and I slid off the side. As I'm breathing up, I hear the boat go in gear and at the same time my right foot starts moving up and down by itself. All I could say and think was FFUUCCKK!!! I didn't feel any pain but I was hesitant to look. No blood..good so far..fin is still there so that means so is my foot. :thumbsup2: All I saw as few props marks so I figured it was even worth getting my speedo in a bunch. Later when I got on the boat, I noticed my blade had was no longer flat any more...it cracked:angry5:. Moral of the story...I dunno..it's raining and I'm bored.:rolleyes1:

• Might as well add my story here. I was diving with Pantoja, there were quite a few guys on the boat that day, maybe 5 myself included. I was getting into the boat from the back to the right of the motor. Whoever was driving had the motor running but in neutral. Just as I grabbed the transom to pull myself up a wave hit the boat and someone standing near the console lost their balance and put their hand on the gas lever in an attempt to steady themselves. The motor went into gear and spun the propeller. I was shocked and just like Frank was afraid to look at my left side even though I felt no pain. Since then we have a rule that when picking up a diver the motor gets turned off.

• I must admit I almost broke Franks fins once. He was sitting on the transom but his fins were hanging off the dive platform or were in the water. The fins tip got sucked into the prop.

If fins get caught it would pull the person in completely which is probably worse than getting run over by a boat. Ever see a rope caught in the props?

Davie Peguero

• I thought Frank had told me that something like this has already happened. Those fins took a beating.

I don't think anyone will get sucked into the prop by the fins though. You're much more likely to get sucked in by the dive flag :)

• first off that picture rules hahaha

second, i agree that it wouldnt suck you in but, it would likely break the shit out of your ankle and possible ACL/MCL/PCL out the door...deoends on how much of the blade it grabbed but a torisional force to the lower leg is bad news

i like to spear fish

• I forgot about that Davie...I was taking my sweet time getting back in the boat and you or Kris were ready to move on to the next spot...without me..:D

In my first post I think what happened after I went in was the boat and me drifted into each other.

• first off that picture rules hahaha

second, i agree that it wouldnt suck you in but, it would likely break the shit out of your ankle and possible ACL/MCL/PCL out the door...deoends on how much of the blade it grabbed but a torisional force to the lower leg is bad news

Who wants to be the Guinea Pig??:D

• He didn't know it happened and I didn't say anything about it. Since nothing happened I didn't think it was even worth bringing up. Next time when I lose a foot I'll say something:D