First Railgun...first impressions

• 1.18 vs 1.4...that is the weight comparison between my previous gun (120cm tito teak euro gun w/ Beuchat Munidal handle and muzzle, powered by one 23" 20mm band) and my new rob Allen 120 w a TinMan muzzle and two 23" x5/8" bands)

I know what a quarter of a pound feels like underwater and I am very excited to feel the difference. I notice that the barrels of the guns are about 1/2 inch apart in diameter and that should make for a MuCH faster gun ...my concerns are that there will be more recoil, more muzzle jump and more noise.
    I hope to dive on saturday and I will update this thread with my thoughts.

anyone have any thoughts or advice about switching to pipe guns from wood?

I will add pics later too, i left my camera at a friend's house

i like to spear fish

• fuzz, you've seen Tito's guns? They're basically a wood gun with a euro handle, like the omer master America. Well made guns.

Yes, I have.

I currently own a couple with similar build. (i.e. Totemsub Tahiti-L that has a Demka handle & a wooden barrel)

Also have a couple homebrew guns that use wooden barrels & beuchat mundial handles. Can't see much of it except the barrel & immersion reel.

To me, there's a marked difference between these wooden-barrel railguns and SA style railguns in feel, balance, recoil felt, & sound.

• here are a few older pics of my gun, although it sounds like you understand it well.

im looking forward to seeing /feeling the differences you are talking about...any tips for a successful transition?

Well, first thing I'd do is fix the shooting line. :D Whenever you have a track/rail, make sure the line doesn't run under the shaft.

Second, if you're not going to use the screw-in band adaptor, I'd convert the muzzle to open. But that's just my personal preference.

The aiming should be very similar and you should pick it up quickly. It's more of a feel difference than a fundamental difference. How is your railgun set up? Same band configuration?

As a side note, my wooden euros all have bandslots built into the stock, so they're a bit different than Tito's standard guns.

• Thanks for the info...that pic makes the line look worse than it really is because the gun is vertical and the spear is leaning on the top of the muzzle away from the rail....it is one of the things that irritates me about the gun, the spear can move around too much. it only effects shots on the swing, and rarely at that, but still

I have two 5/8" bands in an open muzzle on the RA...i am excited about the open muzzle because of how big the muzzle is on this gun

i like to spear fish

• Interesting, Tito's guns that I've seen all have the band slot built into the wood stock. I'd cut that muzzle off and make holes for the bands. With any luck you'll get a 115 out of it which is still good enough.

fuzz, what kind of fish is that?

• Interesting, Tito's guns that I've seen all have the band slot built into the wood stock. I'd cut that muzzle off and make holes for the bands. With any luck you'll get a 115 out of it which is still good enough.

fuzz, what kind of fish is that?

Funny, that's what someone else said - I had a Tito gun a while back and it looked just like Lunker's one with the Beuchat muzzle. Guess we both got old style ones. :D

Lunker, there are a few options to convert it to open muzzle if you wish. If you're happy with how it works, then leave it as-is. As for the Rob Allen - I'm an absolute wuss when it comes to recoil. I have a hard time shooting 2 5/8 bands on them, but know people who are pretty darn accurate with it. Let us know how you do with it. :)

The fish is a Vermillion Rockfish. I like em... cause I think they're purty. :crazy: