Staying busy in Seattle

• Well, since I had no one to play racquetball with during the summer I picked up a new sport. This time it was Judo. I have practice wrestling in the past in my early high school years which helped a little. I have been doing it for 4 months now and my coach felt I was ready for local tournaments. This past Saturday was the Rainier Cup Judo Tournament. Only 4 people from my judo club signed up for it, I was one of them. I've always been very competitive/sore looser and I was extremely nervous going into this. Plus I didn't want to let my coach down and make a fool of my self. I competed in the Novice division 160lb bracket. There were a total of 7 guys in my weight class. I had to fight 4 times and was able to bring silver to the club. I will attach a couple of videos my girlfriend managed to get hope you enjoy them. Maybe next time I wont be as tense and nervous as this time but all in all I feel satisfied with the outcome. Plus now I have a better idea on things I need to work on, and what the tournaments are like. Here are the links, I couldn't post the actual video I forgot how to.

http://www.vimeo.com/7014870

http://www.vimeo.com/7004016

• Nice!!:thumbsup2: Having a wrestling and judo backround you should try MMA. I have wrestling and found it to be a really helpful.

• You're doing it for 4 months!? :@ Those were sweet ippons. Your entries are fast and committed, you also had a couple of good transitions. Both those guys were bigger than you. If indeed you're doing it for such a short time then you obviously have talent for the sport. How to hell do you get a blue belt in 4 months? Did your coach give it to you for the tournament?

I started out with judo when I was a kid. It's a beautiful sport and gave me a big advantage when I moved to jiu jitsu and dabbled in MMA. The majority of guys in MMA do not know how to handle judo from standup. It will take a while to get rid of the bad habit acquired in judo of giving away your back once you go to ground, if you move to jiu jitsu which I recommend you eventually do. Thanks for sharing the vids, very interesting and inspired me to go training which I haven't done in a few weeks.

• No, I am still a white belt (I wish). I had the choice of either change to my blue gi or just trade my belt for a blue one so the judges could tell us apart. I wish I knew how to make the actual throw in slow motion and add some background music but I am still learning. I lost my first match due to a pin by the guy in the first video. The second match I won by choking the guy and making him tap out. I am glad you guys enjoyed the videos.

• Hey Adrian that was cool man. Congrats, not bad at all for your first tourney and only 4 months of training! Keep it up man...:thumbsup2:

• I lost my first match due to a pin by the guy in the first video. The second match I won by choking the guy and making him tap out. I am glad you guys enjoyed the videos.

I don't understand, I thought you won those two matches with an ippon? Have the rules changed, it used to be you'd automatically win with an ippon, and those throws looked pretty clean to me.

• There were a total of 7 guys in my division. So I had to fight 4 different times. I wasn't able to upload the first two fights because vimeo only allows 500 mp per week. The matches in the videos were won by ippon. Hopefully I can finish uploading them next week.