So I met some spearos

• Coincidences seem to happen in bunches:

So I happened to post on Spearboard that I wanted to sell a Riffe Top, FREEK tells me that Seahunter49 wants it, but can't post there himself....:atongue:

So I give him a call, turns out he lives within walking distance from me, he bought the Riffe Top and we chatted for a while about spearing. Nice little Tuesday morning.

Dan, as you asked, here's my boat. We'll go out when the vis opens up:

I had to rush off to go to class (I'm a Graduate Student at FAU), and I come to find out that Davie (Seaweed) is in my class (Probabalistic Data Analysis, if you were curious). I had only met him briefly some months ago when I bought a gun on behalf of a buddy from him. We spend the next hour and a half bored to tears. Haha.

It's just nice to meet good people and I thought I'd share.

Jim

• Thanks, I forgot to mention that it's a 17 foot Cape Horn. Got it from a friend pretty cheap. I had to scrounge for a trailer though.

• Good meeting you Jim. That's a nice looking boat :thumbsup5: I'm game to explore what the Fort Lauderdale waters have to offer as my experience here is only beach diving to the second reef. Davie is a good diver and spearfisher, I believe he knows the area. Let's put something together as soon as conditions permit.

• Nice meeting you again. I'm pretty familiar with the ft lauderdale area. I fished it for like 2 years out of my jonboat out of John U. LLoyd. Look up "jon boat report" on spearboard, I think all were written by Kris most have videos. Haven't fished it in a long while though.

Davie Peguero

• What are your majors? Probability analysis? The probability of?

• I look forward to diving....weather permitting. My major is in Ocean Engineering. The class is actually on how to interpret/analyze data. Apparently the chances that I'll pay attention are approaching zero!

FREEK: always talking about other divers' shafts!:laughing4:

• Freek is alluding to this thread http://spearfishing.world/showthread.php?t=57 :DWere you using a depth finder? If not I'm sure there's lots to be found still.

I scanned the thread above, thought I'd write here, just so people aren't like, "who the hell is this guy?".

The problem is: there is no right or wrong. This kinda falls under "etiquette". In my book, whoever spears the fish has "rights" to it. With that said, if I was Diver A - I'd offer the fish for sure.

I'll put it this way: Boat owner maintains the boat, provides labor, invites you on a trip. Boat owner drops you on his "secret" spot, while he takes the first turn driving the boat for drift diving. You shoot a nice Mutton and some Mangroves. Time for the next spot, but the boat has engine trouble, so you head in. Boat owner has to make repairs on his boat, etc...

My point is, even though someone else did most of the work for the shooter to get a fish; he or she is not "entitled" to the fish. Now, etiquette/being a good friend says give the boat owner a fish or two, gas money, beer, etc, but that's at the discretion of the shooter.

I was just making an analogy and trying to give my opinion clearly. As always there are lots of subtleties that make it complicated. My $0.02.

• Were you using a depth finder? If not I'm sure there's lots to be found still.

Depthfinder, gps, and even better, Kris has access to some special secret maps of the area and a retired commercial diver gave him his numbers. He would just show up with a list of numbers and put them in my gps, the deal was I wouldn't take anyone to them without him or his permission. So those are off unless he gives permission.

Davie Peguero

• Davie, pardon me for questioning you but I don't remember a depth finder on the jon boat. Was it a portable one and if so did you remove the transducer too?

The cables were always there, I probably forgot it. I barely use it for ft lauderdale, it is basically the same terrain all over. Some spots are better than others but you cant figure it out with a depthfinder, you have to drift it.

Davie Peguero