16 or 20mm band

• until recently ive always used 2 16 mm bands (about 22 inches on a 120 size gun)
    i was thinking about changin it up to one 20mm band..
    anyone like or dislike that idea? anyone have some experience transitioning from one to the other?

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Loading will be more uncomfortable.

Two 16mm bands store more energy and provide more power than one 20mm band. The 20mm band is actually 19mm.

You can't power down if you need to.

Most importantly I believe there's a point where increasing the diameter of the band starts to work against efficiency. It almost seems that the 20mm band loses more energy contracting in the water, maybe because it displaces more water. The water disturbance on firing sure seemed greater than with two 16mm bands.

In the end it works as many people use it. But I don't like it. I tried using a 20mm + 16mm for a while but went back to two 16mm.

• My sentiments exactly Dan :)

sdeisen--may I ask WHY you wanted to go with a single band?

• I used 20mm bands for a while and I liked it. The bands packed quite a bit of power and I really enjoyed that part. On the other hand loading/reloading were a pain in the butt. To the point that I became very selective at what I would shoot just to avoid reloading. Now I shoot two 16mm bands and I like this set up even more. Plenty of power, ease of loading and the ability of powering down the gun if you are going to shoot in a hole etc... At the end it all boils down to what you like or enjoy most. Hope this helps.

• On the other hand loading/reloading were a pain in the butt. To the point that I became very selective at what I would shoot just to avoid reloading.

Interesting you said that. It is generally true for me not just because of 20mm band. I consider whether the whole process of taking the fish off the line, untangling if necessary, gutting and reeling in the float to put the fish on the stringer, is worth it.

• My humble opinion is that for low visibility and guns equal or shorter than 110, one short thick band is better because has a lot of punch in short distance and loads faster.
    For 120 and longer I'll go with 2 x 16 mm because you will load easier, have less recoil, more power, more reach and can you have the ability to power down.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Based on some tests that I run (and I still have to publish the results) I'll switch from one fat band to 2 5/8 (that is after I finish my current stock of 7/8 rubber).

2 5/8 provide more energy than 1 3/4 (and comparable to one 7/8), but they are so much easier to load... With many folks upgrading their shafts on the euro guns from the classic 6.5mm to 6.75 , 7 or 7.5mm getting 50lb more of force helps, an usually the trigger and barrel will hold that extra 50lb.

• My humble opinion is that for low visibility and guns equal or shorter than 110, one short thick band is better because has a lot of punch in short distance and loads faster.
    For 120 and longer I'll go with 2 x 16 mm because you will load easier, have less recoil, more power, more reach and can you have the ability to power down.

Right on Marco. Up here in the NE we have limited visibility(8-15ft). Initially I was hunting with (2) 16mm bands but ended up switching to (1) 20mm. It definitely packs more stopping power in a short distance. I like the set-up better personally but I can't speak for 120cm + gun.

• Hip loading a 20mm band is not a big deal, I'm just aware that it's a bigger factor for chest loading. I had a single 20mm band on a 70cm wood gun. My reasoning was that it's quicker to load which was necessary in a couple of spots I have with very low vis and fish appearing quickly out of nowhere. But I know that two 16mm bands are better and my next short gun will have that. You must be able to power down a hole gun, and my short low vis gun must double as a hole gun.

• My personal experience using railguns.. I 've tried all different band combinations on guns ranging from 110-130cm. I found the most accurate to comfortability combo to be guns 110 and shorter single 19mm band if you need to power down for a hole shot just load till first notch. A 130 cm is a pain in the ass to load with a single band and it makes more sense to have 2 16mm bands, plus it would be a more clearwater gun in which you can use the extra power for range.

In short 110 or smaller use 19mm band. ( 2nd band gets in the way and causes tangles)

120cm i would go with single band a little longer band.

130cm and higher 2 16mm bands

This mutton I shot with a 130 cm w 2 16mm bands at about 15 feet away. We were in a spot that was 80-90ft. At that depth I dont think you have much time to be chasing fish around. You might be forced to take a long shot.

http://spearfishing.world/miami/1201-10-15-09-a.html

Go ahead and experiment with different size railguns and band combinations. I agree with Marco.

Edited 3 times, last by Alan ().

• What kind of tangles does the second band cause?

When shooting a closed muzzle railgun the shooting line( mono) seems to become entangled with the second band thats swinging around. The inline band never tangles. The one you load second which is the one that can be easily removed from the closed muzzle.

This happens at the time between firing and reloading. I think there have been other threads on this???

http://spearfishing.world/gene…n-my-shooting-line-2.html

I think if you study the closed muzzle and the way the bands are configured you can easily see why. I just never took the time to really figure out the actual cause.

• Perhaps a better approach would have been to figure out why the mono actually becomes entangled with the spectra of the second band. What I did was to throw the gun on the boat grab my backup gun and continue fishing:D

I am thinking it can be fixed by slightly modifying the muzzle. Fix this problem along with the stainless steel line release and cartridge and you might have something
    in your hands.