what i've been up to

• thought i would share with you guys that 2.5 weeks ago my my life took an ugly, unexpected turn. i was weight training, bench pressing, and on my fourth set doing 225lbs (a weight i normally handle fine for a few reps), i caused a major tear to my pect muscle and tendon, right where it attaches to the shoulder, the pain was severe, worthy of passing out but i was able to fight thru it. went to the ER but they couldnt do much for me at that point.

2 days later i made it to an ortho surgeon and 2 days after that i went under the knife for urgent surgery, it is the only way to fix this traumatic injury. repair went well, but boy, what a tough surgery, i have a 4 inch incision on my left shoulder. dr said i will make 100% recovery and success rate that it wont tear again is 95% if I get back to normal activities. I have gained about 30% of my arm/shoulder movement back, start therapy in 2 weeks, should have full motion in 3 weeks or so, dr said I can dive then. as far as doing things that require significant strength (ie loading a speargun) probably 3-4 months, however psychologically speaking, it might take me longer.

I love diving too much and can't wait to get back into the water, but I'm thinking I could be shooting a video cam for a while :D, or have someone load the speargun for me :laughing3:

Any suggestions for a decent cam and housing? nothing to crazy...

needless to say this has been life changing, the last 2 weeks especially, and I have to reconsider my fitness routines from here on out, I will probably stick to lots of water training and much less gym, my bench pressing days (at least of any significant weight) are prob over.

China V.I.P

• wow...very sad to hear that bro...i hope you recover really really soon..i know what is like to love diving and you cant do it because your injured body doesnt let you....I tear my thigh playin soccer a couple of months ago it hurts really bad I thought i needed surgery but I handle it by resting and trying to do nothing with that leg..but dude 225 pounds is no joke...when i read your thread i feel the pain you have i know what is like..hope to hear you r out on the water soon..:thumbsup2:..

PD= If I try to lift 225 pounds I bet I shit my pants in front of everybody in the gym..

• sorry to hear oto, wish you a speedy and full recovery. Ive seen how nasty those injuries are.
    Tin man makes an excellent mount for railguns. do a search on RA mount. I was using a canon sd1100s with underwater case mounted on Tin man mount.

• Oto, I hate weigths, I've done them a lot in my teens and wish I didn't. I wish I would've stuck with grappling more consistently. Sometimes it takes a trauma to realize that life is not a sprint, it's an endurance race and you have to pace yourself to make sure your body is still functioning well towards the finish.

I don't think loading uses pecs much, it's more back muscles. Heal fast my friend.

Oto, I hate weigths, I've done them a lot in my teens and wish I didn't. I wish I would've stuck with grappling more consistently. Sometimes it takes a trauma to realize that life is not a sprint, it's an endurance race and you have to pace yourself to make sure your body is still functioning well towards the finish.

I don't think loading uses pecs much, it's more back muscles. Heal fast my friend.

very well said

• Sorry to hear that oto. Wish you a full recovery. Take it easy and don't try to push on too soon. The camera idea sounds good and you probably will see bigger fish (it always happen when you don't have your gun with you) and keep wet. Good luck bro..:)

• damn buddy so sorry to hear that...for now rest and therapy...eventually yoga and plyometrics..you'll be stronger than ever without being burdened by a bulky body :)

keep you spirits up man.

i like to spear fish