GoPro HD Underwater Blurry Fix

• I was talking to a guy that was selling a gopro HD with a 4gb memory card and he was saying that he could only record 30min of run time. I find that hard to believe! Does anyone know how much record time you could get with an 8gb memory card?

Average recording times:
    1080p: 12 min/GB
    960p: 14 min/GB
    720p: 16min/GB @30fps; 11 min/GB @ 60fps

http://gizmodo.com/5396576/gopro-hero-hd-camera-review

5.How much recording time do you get?

Recording time will vary according to the resolution setting used and the card capacity. Here are the average recording storage times for a 32GB SD card: 1080p (30 fps): 4h 21m 960p (30 fps): 5h 26m 720p (60 fps): 4h 21 720p (30 fps): 8h 09m WVGA (60 fps): 8h 09m

http://www.goprocamera.com/FAQ_HD.php

It will vary based on a lot of criteria, but that's a good starting point.

• Some pics of the Gopro with the replacement lens mounted on a Pursuit speargun. I was first going to make a vid of removing the original lens and installing the new one, but it turned out to be so easy that a vid is not necessary. The screws come out easily and the new lens fits perfectly in place of the old. I haven't tested it at depth yet but will do so and post a vid. The next thing to do is see with which settings there's a vignetting effect if any, this I can do out of the water.

I plan on selling the Gopro naked for $259, and will include the replacement lens. It will be available here http://www.freedivingspearfish…com/34-underwater-cameras The lens will also be available separately for $42.

• Here's a vid I made today with the Gopro and the new underwater lens installed. There is a small vignetting effect in R1, R2 and R3 which I think will be less obvious when filming underwater, and a pronounced vignetting effect in R4. R5 which is the most suitable setting for our purposes anyways has no vignetting effect. I'm going to proceed with selling the Gopro for $259 with the new lens included, at least for now as an introductory offer. I will make another video with the different settings as soon as the sea conditions improve.

EDIT - Updated video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6gOEIYBfog

• Sign me up Dan.

For a while now I've been wanting to shoot some video, if only to show my kids what it looks like down there. Shoot me a PM with the total and paypal details? I want the little tripod adapter also, if that doesn't come with the standard package.

• There is a housing that is made for the go pro called the eyeofmine and it has a flat lens and great pressure rating. Ive seen some great footage taken underwater at depths over 100 ft.

• Quick question. I am planning on getting a GoPro HD soon and using it mostly for diving, but I will definitely use it some for surfing as well. How well is the new lens fixed on, would I have any problems with the lens falling off or leaking? Is it easy to take on and off or not worth it?

• The new lens fits perfectly in place of the original. It's impossible for it to fall out. It's rated to the same depth as the Gopro housing. It's very easy to install and take out, simply unscrew the small screws with a Phillips screwdriver, but I wouldn't recommend doing it too many times for fear of stripping the screw holes. The new lens has a disadvantage in that some resolutions that are useful out of the water have a vignette effect, see the video I posted. If you must use those resolutions for out of the water filming, and the vignette effect in the corners is not acceptable, then I recommend to buy another Gopro housing rather than be switching out lenses. A new housing is $40, and you'll have an extra lens from the first housing.

• Dan--will the GoPro bolt up on the new Pursuit Aim mask ?
    Are you selling the extra housings ?
    I may need the GoPro and extra housing and the Persuit Aim mask after seeing the great quality of the new GoPro blurry fix

• Yes the housing is available separately from Pursuit.

I don't know if there's enough material on the frame of the Aim mask to accommodate the installation. This is something I'll need to look into once I get more masks, or if you want to bring yours by we can try now.

This is the installation hau is talking about.

• The new lens fits perfectly in place of the original. It's impossible for it to fall out. It's rated to the same depth as the Gopro housing. It's very easy to install and take out, simply unscrew the small screws with a Phillips screwdriver, but I wouldn't recommend doing it too many times for fear of stripping the screw holes. The new lens has a disadvantage in that some resolutions that are useful out of the water have a vignette effect, see the video I posted. If you must use those resolutions for out of the water filming, and the vignette effect in the corners is not acceptable, then I recommend to buy another Gopro housing rather than be switching out lenses. A new housing is $40, and you'll have an extra lens from the first housing.

Sounds like the best solution, thanks!

• I tried the mask mounted Gopro in the pool today, wow, no additional strap is necessary. I couldn't even feel the camera on the mask. This setup is definitely the way to go, I can't wait to try it on a good vis day. I could easily start the camera recording by feel, listening carefully I could hear the beep indicating that it started recording. Stopping the recording is easier to hear because there are a few consecutive beeps. I made a new video with the 5 different settings, same conclusion as before. If you go to youtube to watch the vid (by clicking on the vid title here) you can choose to watch it in high definition and full screen to get an idea of the quality. The pool is 25 yards long for reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6gOEIYBfog

• spearo's this is a great deal, easily 80 cheaper than anywhere else with the fix included :D

Dan will you be offering just replacement housings? On your advice, I'd like to have one w a fisheye for on land and a seperate housing for underwater use so I dont risk damaging the screws with swapping the lenses

i like to spear fish