RAT grip custom handle material

• One other note, production cost and methods continue to improve. We have a signicantly reduced price schedule on our website.
    Thanks for all the comments and conversation

Ron

• This is the handle I make for my guns and it's as contoured as I would want it to be for reasons already mentioned. I am interested in an economical, easy to apply material that will make a wood or plastic speargun handle more grippy, but not contoured to that extent. I don't use rifles so I can't comment on your product for that application.

• Rfoggy- the only thing about the handle for spearing that is a drawback are the few times where one might be using a different finder to shoot. there are occasions when I flip my gun upside down and use my thumb to pull the trigger while I try to see into a crevase from another hole...it is not a damning thing by any means, but it is a situation where the more built up handle could interfere. on 99% of all spearing applications it would either help or make no difference but in this one limited situation it could be a negative.

I am going to try using a bit of this stuff on my polespear to make a fixed grip...interested to see how or if it works for that application

i like to spear fish

• Dan, I don't know about the price point you are looking for, but I will say this, this stuff is great for exactly what you just outlined
    "easy to apply material that will make a wood or plastic speargun handle more grippy" i used about half the material that Foggy used and it makes the handle go from just usable to comfortable.

i like to spear fish

• Thanks for the pictures dan, my gun had such a gap from the top of thumb 1'1/4 or so, your gun design holds your hand against the frame. Nice work on the customization work though( Shapelock?). i didnt think about in the large design, flipping the gun upside down. However i think one could actually add some material and shape for a possible upside down shot that would give you better leverage. The best and brightest use for the Ratgrip material is yet to be discovered.
    We are trying to give examples of how far one can go with the material- if your familiar with molding this material can be built into what ever shape and design one might want. The level of detail is up to the end user and since you cant make a mistake one can tinker with it.
    I Did send some down to the Blue Wild for the raffle/drawing

• For reference my palm swell is made of two part epoxy, the beige colored one that cures in about 15min. It sticks to the wood well.

rfoggyone, the Riffe speargun is very good speargun, but with one major flaw; the handle on all Riffe guns is one of the least ergonomic handles on the market. For sure using the Riffe handle as a base you'd have had to use a ton of RAT grip.

Not only because of unorthodox shooting position, we often find ourselves carrying the gun by the handle. Some divers lightly grip the handle with the speargun in inverted position on a descent. Sometimes we're holding the gun in the middle and very quickly have to reach for the handle to take a shot, not enough time for the hand to settle properly into such a specific position. This in no way reflects on RAT grip as unsuitable. I'm just trying to give some idea why too much contours wouldn't be a good thing. Post back after you try it, maybe it will work well for you.

• I am going to try using a bit of this stuff on my polespear to make a fixed grip...interested to see how or if it works for that application

Let me know how it goes im trying to think of something to improve my grip on the odor, I was thinking a thin coat of herculiner, but don't know how that would turn out

• The Herculiner may require touching up from time to time but I think it will stick well to aluminum. It's made for metal truck beds. Pep boys has the $30 smaller can. Yeah Steven, I saw you fondling my Herculiner hehehe

• Is an interesting alternative...I got a question about this material. when it hardened can a dremel be use to reshape or smooth some areas as to give a better looking finish to the grip. I got the same concern about getting a full grip like that. I believe the grip have to be comfortable and allow you to rearrange your fingers enough so you can change your shooting style. According to the situation that you are in. Like Dan mention a fish in a hole. Fast moving fish on your sides. etc. If i can reshape and then finish it up a little. this product is a good choice as well.

Thanks for sharing the info :thumbsup2:

• Ratgrip materials dont harden in the normal sense of word, it stiffens but still has the feel of a rubberized grip. A dremmel will heat the material and cause it to stick to the bit- however you can do small quick touches. What we do - is build the basic shape as in my pictures, let it cool and using a heat gun and wet hands we continue to smooth and do minor shaping. using a exacto knife we trim edges. as a example it took me roughly a hour to build the grip on my Riffe- if i were to spend another hour with it doing the touch up and smoothing-the pictures will look like i bought it off the shelf. I normally dont like using those pictures - people look at the level of finish and think they are going to produce that the first time out.
    it really doesnt take that much time to get good with the material but you us americans , we want everything now. in this case a true custom grip does take a little time.

• a point of interest: Even with very accomplished firearm people- there has never been the ability to create what one thinks as a perfect grip and then continue modifying it. there is a common comment,
    " i thought i had created a perfect grip but after 2 weeks i realized that i needed to change a few things and then a few weeks later change a little more before they settle on what really works for them". This ability is one of the best aspects of Ratgrips- we have meet many shooters who have spent thousands on customization only to see after a couple weeks that $500.00 stock still isnt quite right.
    Ratgrips is a nearly perfect material- in the end it is up to the individual user to focus on what they want in the end. the cool thing is you can get an a idea three weeks later and try it.

• I have a RAT grip test kit. It contains about double the stuff that Lunkerbuster is showing in the first post. I don't need it so if anyone wants it I'll ship it to you. Shipping should be around $8.

EDIT - All taken.