• There is no thread to discuss dive watches..I figured this was a good place to not only discuss the virtues and shortcomings of the concept of a dive watch, but also do some reviews.

I have always worn a watch to dive...it used to be just my normal watch but then I got an Immersion Prowler.

as freedivers a dive watch is critical for timing our surface intervals, this alone is grounds for wearing some watch.

As people in the ocean we are at risk of weather and tidal shifts, another critical reason to know what time it is now and how long you have been in any given place.

Depth gauges are cool especially as you become a deeper diver.

on the downside they are pricey and may lead to distracting the diver? possibly, I really think price is the only downside.

any other thougts?

here is my new (to me) watch.

i like to spear fish

• im glad you posted this judah,, and that watch looks good.
    im desperate for a depth-knowing watch.. but a very cheap one as i am.. very cheap
    i dove without a watch at all for a while and learned to make it out of the water and to school on time by the sun(which im very proud of in a lame kinda way)
    now having anywatch is nice, but knowing preceisly what depth ive been to would be awesome

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Lunker, I have that same freediving computer, and I think is great. The only complaint I have is, the thermometer is only accurate when you are not wearing it. Once you attach it to your wrist it gives a variation of almost 5 degrees (centigrades) I think that is a technical flaw. Beside that everything else is just great, is very nice looking and strong, and has to offer some very useful features, as the wrist tilt back light in dive mode.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• The other issue is that the instructions manual advice to change the batterry at an "authorized Immersion center" that would be a real problem, cause the nearest one is 2000 miles away. You can´t change the battery yourself, that´s a major incovenience IMO.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I use a timex helix depth its cheap and it works for me, even though it is hideous. they seem to have a reputation for taking on water but my current one doesn't have a problem. My other had the battery replaced and immediately after jumping in the pool it leaked. I think it's on its way back from timex now. they can usually be found on ebay in brand new old stock condition for about $40.

• Monster I agree with both comments...the watch is also flawed i nthe fact that it displays the seconds so small and the minutes so large...I am not that good yet :D
    You can mail the watch to hammerhead as they do the north american service of immersion now...better than having to drive to a dealer :D

Mike glad you have had luck with the helix...seems like a hit or miss solution tothe cheap dive watch

i like to spear fish

• Monster I agree with both comments...the watch is also flawed i nthe fact that it displays the seconds so small and the minutes so large...I am not that good yet :D
    You can mail the watch to hammerhead as they do the north american service of immersion now...better than having to drive to a dealer :D

Mike glad you have had luck with the helix...seems like a hit or miss solution tothe cheap dive watch

The place that installed the battery in my first one admitted blame for the flood so they are taking care of the timex bill. I'm still debating keeping it as a backup or selling/lending it to fellow spearos.

• I use a timex helix depth its cheap and it works for me, even though it is hideous. they seem to have a reputation for taking on water but my current one doesn't have a problem. My other had the battery replaced and immediately after jumping in the pool it leaked. I think it's on its way back from timex now. they can usually be found on ebay in brand new old stock condition for about $40.

Still?
    Did they not get the watch in October?

Anyway, how is the replacement watch working out for you? You said

Update: Dropped it into the pool tonight and its watertight and measured depth and temp accurately!!!!!!! WOOHOO!

Is it still working out for you?

• somethings backordered or something ridiculus its been a long painstaking process the new one should be here this week or something. Im tired of the BS I keep hearing so I'll post back when I get it. Its mainly the watch repair facility more than timex I think. The replacement I got from the ebay seller is working great without a hitch.

• You take that diving? It's a fricken antique. How much is it worth?

Haha - I have no idea.

Yes - I sure do - but learned not to wear it when I'm lobstering - crystal gets pretty beat up.

I paid USA $100.00 from U.S. Navy Ship store in 1965

I paid USA $1,400 yesterday to have it repaired, cleaned and new crystal.

Have had it cleaned, oiled with new crystal twice before. Once in Switzerland once in Singapore. This time in Dallas.

Crystal gets pretty scratched up easily - but yes it was meant to wear/use.

Been literally around the world, above the arctic circle, and most oceans and seas.

Will pass it on to my son when I kick the bucket.