Invasive species - lion fish and rock fish

• hey:

In my last two dives attan, his brother and me encountered 2 lion fish, here in the caribbean, in the Jungla beach at the south of PR. I killed both of them because recently in the news they said that this kind of fish is an invasive one, venemous, doesnt have competition, no animal can eat it and also eats gropuers, yellow snappers, and other fish we really want to hunt (their babies).

So my question is, Are we doing wrong by killing them? i really dont like killing fish that im not gonna eat or sell for surviving (paying debts) :( but we found them really close to the shore where families are swiming and enjoying the day, like 10 m from the shore at 7 feet under water, and also it was behaving like a sea urchin so it couldnt be seen.

I explain, it was in the sand, sorrounded by giant black sea urchins (i Like to appreciate nature also after fishing in my way back to shore and take close looks to every animal and seaweed I can) but couldnt help to notice a sea urchin that had wobbling spines, but pretty similar to the others. So I came closer and barely could see its eye, He changed color to a really black one, i just couldnt believe it, he surely was trying to pass by one of them!!!

Its a shame that such a beautifull fish had to be taken down, but i think it was the bestt thing to do. Also a friend of mine some months ago, found a rock fish near that beach, a pacific ocean specimen, also venemous. guys please take care where you put your hands and/or knees!!!

:puertorico:Shakrak Spearfishing Team... We hunt togheter down the abyss... nothing more, nothing less.

[[===#####===============================-------->
    ........####----------------------------------------------.^^OOO
    .........### \ .|
    .........## | \ |
    .........## ___/
    ........##

Aim FAST... Strike HARD

• you did the right thing in my opinion, they are bad news for our waters and they should be regulated...since there are so few natural predators, I think the duty falls to man.

spear away

i like to spear fish

• Ok, thanks!!!! So now theyre really screwed with me..

I will really like to see how to clean them Dan!

:puertorico:Shakrak Spearfishing Team... We hunt togheter down the abyss... nothing more, nothing less.

.........### \ .|
    .........## | \ |
    .........## ___/
    ........##

Aim FAST... Strike HARD

• Bolo a month ago I went to a conference in aguadilla from Florida biologist, is insane the damage that this fish could do to speices here, this fish mature at very early age, less than a year, 6"males and females only at 9", 30,000 eggs that float and no report of any other fish that eat the fry, saw a video that they gut a 9-10 inch fish and have 21 small different fish inside, reports in PR as shallow as 6 inches of water in sand and small pockets in turtle grass, last year in Bahamas they made a tournament ans like 60 fisherman bring back to shore over 1,200 lionfish in few hours.

In few years is going to be scary on the reefs, kill all you see, if they are big eat them, nice white meat.

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Edited once, last by Pucho ().

• Damn... malditos peces!!!!! its also a bit difficult to spot them, more when they are in the soft corals!!! thanks for the info pucho!!! I konw its not their fault buuuutt... Lion fish hunt then it is... Ill make my own tournament!

.........### \ .|
    .........## | \ |
    .........## ___/
    ........##

Aim FAST... Strike HARD