Small kayak for a float

• I was at Sports authority a couple of days ago and saw a small yellow sit-on-top kayak for sale, for around $120. It's smaller than anything I've ever seen in a store here before. At 6ft not quite as small as one of those tiny sit-in white water kayaks but small enough to make a reasonable float. With some dexterity an average size person could probably climb and sit on top of it, although I think it may be made for kids. But for sure you could pull half your body out of the water and rest on it.

There's not enough internal volume for storage if you were to put hatches in it, maybe small stuff. But the top has a nice depression and a bungee net and straps could be adapted easily for fish and gear storage. I'm sure it has a lot of flotation and reasonable drag. Anyways just an option for an almost ready float for someone willing to experiment. If I was shore diving more I'd go for it. When I remember the name of the yak I'll try to find and post a pic.

• pretty cool. I have thought about that before but never seen a sit on top that small..

It has the huge advantage over a float of being able to escape onto it if the tax man appeared and was aggresive. I would like to see the yak if you can remember the name.

i like to spear fish

• first of all, /\ that, is hilarious...what a badass little sea lion...he aint no fool.

secondly, I went to sports authority today to help my Dad grab some gear he needed and I found this kayak that Dan was talking about...I took some cell phone pics so anyone interested could know more...
    i think Dan is dead on, this would be a great float, I think it is 6ft long, has a super stable looking bottom and they say it can handle 135 lbs...I assume that means and still paddle it, i suspect it would float with an average weight man 180 -200 but would be quite bogged down

they were asking 119$ for it

i like to spear fish

• My post is from a month ago. A couple of weeks ago I went to sports authority and this little yak was on sale for $99 right by the front door. When I bought my new speedos I got a $25 off coupon on any $100 purchase. So I bought the yak and a piece of gum and it ended up costing me $80. I keep wanting to rig it but haven't found the time so it's sitting in my garage.

• nicely done...that is a superior shore diving platform...I was thinking you could bungee net the whole front area and add a handle in the middle so if need be you could get your torso on the back area and hold on while still finning along.

I wanted to rig one of these on it too

• Sure why not. Trolling motors are around $100 and can push a boat, deep cell battery are around $60 and can motor you around all day. The weight should be like a regular kayak, all you need is some sand wheels. Saves some energy on a long swim and should get you going faster than a kayak can paddle.

Davie Peguero

• For this the diver would have to sit on top? I was thinking keep half the body on the yak and the legs in the water. But if the trolling motor is in the back it will get in the way of doing that.

If it could be pushed through the middle of the yak though, and the clamp and tiller eliminated with just an on/off switch, and you could steer with your fins, you may have something.

• Bolt the motor to the yak, probably towards the front. No pole or steering, the have bolt on motors but they are expensive. Steer with your legs you don't need drastic turns, just point in the direction you want to go. A fishfinder can be put in since they use very little battery power.

My kayak had a hole in the middle of legs for the pedals and I thought of putting a motor I have there but pedal/paddleing it was easy enough.

Davie Peguero

• no window Dan...it is a hollow board. you would need to sink a walled structure, like a bucket, through the yak to maintain the integrity of the hull....that is not soo hard alone, but given the contours of the top and the crazy bottom it would be quite arduous (sp) to seal it back up.

keep in mind that you could just stick your head in the water to see fish.

also, this is a shifty area of boating...a craft that is not human powered is supposed to be licensed, but if you cannot get onto or into it, is it a craft? definate grey area there

i like to spear fish

• I have a 7'2" super buoyant surfboard that I was thinking of trying out as a float and in place of the yak. I have been towed behind a yak and it adds little drag to the paddler (with me paddling too) and I have paddled long distances on it before and it's pretty quick. I figure I can easily rig something to hold a flag and secure a stringer to it and a FL could attach where the leash goes. Anyone ever seen or used that method before?

• Bolt the motor to the yak, probably towards the front. No pole or steering, the have bolt on motors but they are expensive. Steer with your legs you don't need drastic turns, just point in the direction you want to go. A fishfinder can be put in since they use very little battery power.

My kayak had a hole in the middle of legs for the pedals and I thought of putting a motor I have there but pedal/paddleing it was easy enough.

davie what is this and how much does it cost, does it run on car type batterie?

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• thats a minn kota engine mounted trolling motor, the smallest saltwater series (the rt55em) retails for $650

through a quick google search I came up with a navigator model 3500 thats 500.... still not cheap

Edited once, last by mrmike ().

• Is it me or is there a vagina in the middle of that yak?

yes, quite

Shawn- the surfboard does work, I used Dan's little board as my shore float for quite a while...it was basically a 5ft short board...the issue is that you have less stability because all the weight you add goes up and above the centerline of the float making it more likely to tip.

they can be rigged to work, and work well, but that might not be the best choice considering you already have a yak to use

i like to spear fish