So how did you guys do during mini season?

• Hi guys,

Curious how you all did during mini season. Haven't seen any reports yet, but I can't believe you ALL were smart and stayed home.

My boss invited me out with him and another buddy. Neither of them are divers, but their enthusiasm makes up for it. They aren't comfortable in more then 15' of water, so big bugz were pretty much out of the question. For every legal lobster I caught, I must have pulled about 12 shorts. Most of them less than 1/8" short. Really frustrating.

I had one scare after just wrestling a bug out from under a seagrass overhang. Right after getting my hand on it, I notice a 6" lionfish just inches from my face, while my body was totally under the overhang. This was my first encounter, and I hadn't expected it in such shallow water. Most people report them out deeper. I managed to crush it on the reef with my tickle stick, as I didn't have anything else with me. This was in only 6' of water, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Another cool experience was catching a red grouper with a net and a tickle stick. Man they are dumb! Wish I had the episode on film. Unfortunately he was !/2 an inch short, so he was released unharmed.

I also got to check out a number Kris gave me the other day today. We used to dive it all the time together with Davie and crew. Since it was mini season, and I found a 10# lobster there last year while filming scenes for an upcoming video with Derek from Hawaii, it seemed like a no brainer to see if anyone was home. I was just carrying a tickle stick, and at about 30ft, I saw a huge black bolt for the structure to the sand. He hauled butt out of there never to be seen again. It was an incoming tide, and the current was ripping. That combined with the bad vis and depth made for unpleasant lobstering, and since the other couldn't even make it to the top of the structure, we moved on. Probably for the better, as the structure is pretty hazardous for a solo diver... The number was SPOT on though. Thanks Kris!

As for the lobster? I limited out (6, BNP), and helped the others with their limit. Ended up with 10 total. Gave the others a few of mine so they can impress the wifes and kids. ;)

My boss has "real" pics on his camera, haven't gotten them yet, will post them later. Here are some phone pics.

Dive safe,

G

• I can't believe that huge black still hangs out there.

Nice job Gerald. Good sized ones. Harry, John and me went out today and had a rough start. We eventually found a honey hole reef line and limited out for 36 lobster in a small area. Most of them came from just one rock

Great weather and not alot of boats around.

There were so many lobster you could catch multiples in one dive using your hands. Harry holds the record for 4 lobster on one dive.

Davie Peguero

• good job guys, i went out today and boats were wall to wall in my area,, i didnt look for lobsters just spearin as usual but couldnt pass up on a really nice size one i saw down iin a hole.
    so count me in for 1 ;)

my neighbor hates me he took his boat out both days for 8 hours each day and got skunked, using a brownies

nothin beats a kayak and a decent set of lungs :)

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Sweet Davie.

I was hoping to find a honeyhole. Thought I found it when I found several hundred yards of rope hanging around a spunge, slightly suspended over the bottom. Dozens of lobster were seeking refuge under it, and initially some seemed very good size. Turned out the dozens of smaller ones just made the other barely shorts look big... arrrrgh! Besides that, it was half a dozen here, 3 there etc.. Most of the legal ones were solo...

Most areas we visited had been picked clean, lots of antennae and a few wrung heads of obvious shorts. Pretty sad to see that ppl poach instead of waiting patiently for a legal size bug...

• As to how we did... we did pretty good.... reefs were picked clean by 9am on day one off of Elliott.

Got a few off the reef as well as a mutton and a hog. Then ran inside to the canals and "super secret spots" for some really different types of lobstering that i've never even considered. I caught lobster standing up! lol

can't really say where, but we ended up with 24 bugs between 4 guys. Ended our day at 2pm and chilled by the pool the rest of the day.

• My Internet is not cooperating so I can't post pics yet. We got 27 yesterday and 36 today. We got lucky with a few spots pulling 12+ keepers at each. Lots of shorties got live for few months. FWC was non existent as I got buzzed by a gaggle of PWCs just cruising through everybodies dive areas....and when we pulled up to the marina, not one officer in sight or anybody else checking....

On a better note.. Grouper closure seems to be working!!! Saw numerous legal, very friendly grouper get the shaft:D

Edited once, last by Mariner ().

• Good to see a lot of you guys got out safe.

Frank , I hear you on the FWC. Few and far between. Only went out on day 2, but for the first time ever during mini season we did not get checked at all...

Anybody see any big stone crabs? RAn into one in a hole in a grass bed that had a claw that looked like it could crack a coconut....

• Well,
    I got 22 in 3 feet of water in about 3 hours in the keys, secret spot right from shore lol :)
    cant post pics cuz they are on IPhone, sorry guys!