sdeisen little fish reports

• Nice man! May have to head to that spot this week. The reefs on my end have been scarce

• Yak out today in North Boca Raton. 3:00 pm-5:45pm
    Wind from the east about 10mph I guess, current was south to north about 1/2 mph
    Viz was 15 feet more or less
    Very excited found a new spot today that is just the bee's knees. Saw 12+ nice black grouper half of which were legal size easily some well over. Also some nice red grouper troopers. Very hard to look at them and know it's not April yet. I shot several nice mangroves and maybe a young cubera,, not sure. Anyways saw a lot of life,, tons of fish.. baitfish, reef fish, eating fish, several morays, turtles, rays,, just a lot going on. very stoked to find a nice reef along my little strip of coast. I was harassed so bad by triggers today it actually made it difficult to hunt, and im supreised I didnt get bit.

anyways im fulll of fish taco and glad to have gotten in the water,

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Excellent work steven, I need to try to find more places like that so when were on the boat we can be more productive. at least were efficient at getting in and out of the boat and anchoring...

• Excellent work steven, I need to try to find more places like that so when were on the boat we can be more productive. at least were efficient at getting in and out of the boat and anchoring...

Thanks Mike; lemme know when ur going out next,, the weather might be gettinf more forgiving here and I've got some bright ideas.

• Today 7-9-2012 from 500pm-745pm
    I could see the wind picked up a bit from checking the beach cams at school but couldnt resist shooting out
    I put in to some moderate chop and paddled out to the first and realized there was very poor viz, so i paddled and paddled and couldnt see bottom and eventually the that trend broke out on the outside of the second. I didnt plan on going out so far in the dusk but finding viz required as much. So I anchored up and got in to find the viz was very poor even out there (prob 15 feet of very hazy viz). I swam around some reef for a while and saw nada (shy of small hogs, mangrovers, yellowtail and a supriising plethora of large yellow jacks) for about an hour. Didnt want to shoot any of that so kept swimming, not too comfortable at any point considering the viz and it was overcast and dark. So I finally reached some sand and I, if anyone knows me, am a sucker for sand. I see a big sandy opening and so too does my heart open and swell with joy. This particular spot is a spot Ive found very few times and never marked, but it is usually a haven for small hogs and sometimes larger ones as well. Besides being thick with the hoglettes I also just like it a lot. So I dive down see a lot of 12-13 inch hogs, throw sand at them and hope for some bigger boys to come around. Eventually a reasonable player approaches and hes smart but I get him. I gut the hog, throw it in the yak and dive back down. Thats when my uncanny liklihood for attracting odd animal behavior kicked in. I laid flat on the bottom for about a minute, and only small hogs approached so I swam forward a bit lifting my body about 3 feet from the bottom but still horizontal. I felt soemthing press straight up on my chest and thought how could I have hit a coral head im not moving and im on wide open sand. I looked straight down and a sandpaper head about twice the width of my chest fills my view. right after feeling the nurses head against my chest I felt the rest of it push my legs. I kicked a few times and got a little bit of water between us and I could see that with its face ahead of mine its tail continued far beyond my flippers. Anyway, I was relieved to find it was a nurse shark yet its size made me instinctively shutter a bit. Anyways no big deal just a strange encounter, I fairly confident its the same shark I ive seen in that exact location in the past, the last time i was laid out flat looking to my right and then looked left and bam there was that wide head filling my view about 1 foot away. Anyways sorry for the lengthy write up- heres a fish and a nice view

Edited 3 times, last by sdeisen ().

• Nice write up buddy. Glad you didn't have to get your ass kicked by a lady shark hahaha

Btw. Please start shooting yjs. They make some of the best ceviche and the sashimi is off the hook.
    Super simple ceviche let's it shine. Lime peppers and onion. A sprinkle I crushed red pepper and two chopped up fresh mint leaves if you have em in the garden

i like to spear fish