Lion Fish in Florida

• Hi Guys,

Here are a few pics from a dive 35 miles West of Key West.

The Lion Fish have established themselves, and are here to stay. (nothing new there, I know, but had not witnessed it myself to this extent.) I think the FWC should consider putting a modest bounty on them to keep their numbers in check. They were literally everywhere. From 7ft grass flats to 60'+ reefs. Not good.

On a different note, jewfish seem be becoming the most common grouper over 10 pounds on the reef. They were also present on almost every spot we dove.

Lobster population seems to be thriving, found lots of good size bugs in the shallows, and with a crew of 7, we got 40 keepers in little over 2 hours, from only 3 spots. Amazing when you take in consideration the ridiculous amount of traps we saw...

I'll post a separate report on the spearing later. Lots of nice fish were harmed during this trip, but I'm still sorting through the pics.

• Very cool pics!

What are everyone's thoughts on killing lionfish, regardless of size, simply because they are an invasive species and to minimize their impact on native species? I understand that the bigger ones are good table fare, and normally we take only what we intend to eat, but does that hold here as well? I could also see the arguement that the long term health of the reef system is best preserved by eliminating non-native species to the extent possible.

• I think everytime we see one we should just load the gun to it's lower power and shoot the bitch. and wear gloves to take it off the shaft.

• Gerald pics are always amazing, I have always felt that a good spearfishermen, patience and knowledge makes him get such incredible shots.

lion fish are devastating the reefs, they wil be inposible to erradicate, but at least we should try to control them.
    There should be overfishing of lionfish for this to be acomplished, spearguns, hawaiian slings,sling shots, nets, traps,hooks,jigs,knifes, tridents on a pole, gafs,chum with them, bite them,whatever works.

• It's funny, but we talked about something along these lines this past weekend...

REEF, in partnership with the FL Keys National Marine Sanctuary, is hosting a series of 3 lionfish tournaments this fall. The series will be kicked off with the Upper Keys Derby on September 10th and 11th at Coconuts in Key Largo. Middle Keys Tournament will be October 16th at Keys Fisheries and Lower Keys Tournament will be November 13th at Hurricane Hole in Key West.

*Registration Fees are $100 for a team of up to four people and include a pair of puncture proof gloves and two banquet tickets. Additional banquet tickets and t-shirts will be available for purchase at the event.

Awards for each derby amount to over $3,000 in cash and gift certificates to Divers Direct:

Most Lionfish: $1,000 for first place, $500 for second place, and $250 Divers Direct Gift Certificate for third place

Biggest Lionfish: $500 for first place, $200 for second place, and $100 Divers Direct Gift Certificatefor third place

Smallest lionfish: $500 for first place, $200 for second place, and $100 Divers Direct Gift Certificatefor third place

Spearfishermen are encouraged to participate, however, lionfish must be collected with nets or slurpguns in areas where spearfishing is prohibited.

Go to www.reef.org/lionfish/derbies for more information and to register!!!

• Spearfishermen are encouraged to participate, however, lionfish must be collected with nets or slurpguns in areas where spearfishing is prohibited.

:confused1: Slurpguns, Que?