Best handheld gps??

• I got to thinking with the discussion about Steve's new hunting grounds. What is the beat handheld gps to take diving ? Anyone have any experience with any models. Good or bad

i like to spear fish

• I don't know about "best", but I have used and liked the Garmin 72 and Garmin 76 for years with great results.
    The basic 72 gave me everything I needed
    The 76 has more bells and whistles
    I now use a Hummingbird 385ci fishfinder/GPS/marine maps on my yak. (No sense putting all that gear on and getting in the water unless there is fish under the yak :) )
    Hope this helps

• Since it came out, I've had the Garmin 76csx. Great model, everything I want & more. 99% of my gps use is off my kayak, so I wanted a waterproof model that would work well in a dedicated drybag. Upgraded from the 76s.

I'm sure you know the basics, but the letter codes are:
    c - color screen, not essential, but screen is so much nicer & clearer
    s - electronic compass, helpful since it recognizes direction to next waypoint without being in motion
    x - Sirf chip, well worth the upgrade. Acquires satellites much quicker with stronger signals.

I would recommend the 76csx, with the 76cx a close second.

Note:
    On a budget, even a very basic cheap garmin etrex will keep waypoints just as easily.

• Garmin is the way to go.
    I liked the non color model better,
    the screen was better, more
    user friendly ,
    have the gps map 76s
    and the gps 76csx.
    if not going to buy
    the map, the 72 is your best option

• I had the etrex, the little joystick is a big PITA. I also took it apart once, the extent of its waterproofness is a strip of tape, much like scotch tape, over where the two halves of the case come together.

Thanks for the abbreviations breakdown fuzz.

• I had the etrex, the little joystick is a big PITA. I also took it apart once, the extent of its waterproofness is a strip of tape, much like scotch tape, over where the two halves of the case come together.

Ya, the only reason I got the etrex was because it was on sale refurbished for $69 That was also 5yrs ago when the other models were a lot pricier. For a basic model, the 72 is a nice one. I did notice that when kayaking, once in a while my drybag will get condensation in there. In those cases, the color screen is a bit easier to see. :)

• I have two. The Garmin 76 I use for hunting and a Magellan Meridian Color for the water. I was always a "Garmin Man", but a buddy of mine gave me the Magellan and I absolutely love it. Works great and never had an issue picking up the satellites, which occured a few times with my garmin handheld. Just giving you another option although Garmin is a good company and make wonderful products.

• Could yall add some info on bottom readers. I use GPS to find my spots but after I get there I pretty much just get in the water and see whats there. Is that the norm for everybody else or do you watch the screen on a botom reader and pass on the spot if it looks barren?
    Nic

• GPS for navigation and Furono for sonar. Furono beats GPS on bottom finding and marking fish. I have a 600L that is awesome, particularly if you get a through hull transducer.

• I have two. The Garmin 76 I use for hunting and a Magellan Meridian Color for the water. I was always a "Garmin Man", but a buddy of mine gave me the Magellan and I absolutely love it. Works great and never had an issue picking up the satellites, which occured a few times with my garmin handheld. Just giving you another option although Garmin is a good company and make wonderful products.

I agree, my older magellan would find signal
    much faster than my garmin, i canged because
    by those days, the had no maps on their handhelds.