Permit and African Pompano Meeting

• Davie and I decided it would be a good idea to go to this meeting. This was our first meeting. We wanted to see how the system works and get our point across. We saw JFJF, Tony from spearboard, Ed Walker (Gulf Coast), CMFISH(Chris), and Denny (FRA). Spearfishing was a big issue and I was glad that we all got to the podium and spoke on the behalf of spearfishing. After we all spoke, everyone on the FWC panel there decided that spearfishing shouldn't be discriminated against.

I was disappointed not seeing more people in our area go to these VERY CLOSE meetings. The commission was very open to our suggestions. If you ever have a chance to go to these meetings, you should really go. It is not a waste of time.

From what I understand the no spearing regulation was somebody's idea with no backing for it presented. Everyone including the guides present wanted to know why these regulations are being placed with no scientific backing.

My favorite part of the meeting was when ALL the commissioners agreed out loud that there shouldn't be any discrimination towards spearfishing. And then the chairman quickly jumps in with words saying, "We will not change state water NO Permit spearfishing rules."

I guess its ok to be discriminatory in state waters.

• The commission overall were very receptive and not closed minded as I was expecting. They were listening to all the sides. I was going to ask the commission who spearfishes but someone already asked that question. Their answer was 2 people out of the whole group of 8(i think). Imo, FWC commission does not really know what spearfishing really is. But still they were listening to us. I think if the commission was better educated about spearfishing or the underwater realm, the rules wouldn't be as biased towards us.

• http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=116209

Quote from greekdiver

Regardless of some people hating Tony, he was there and was representing well for spearos.

You don't ignore them you lying hypocrite, you persecute them and delete every post on SB that exposes your lies known to them, or benefits their business that doesn't pay into your pocket. Too many people already know it. Besides you're not a spearfisher, you're a hose sucking fish poker, who are you to represent us. More people probably don't go to the meetings because they don't want to see your rearranged face. Ignore this you self glorifying megalomaniac :bugoff1:

I don't have all the facts but it appears that the grogan and jfjf are responsible for the mess of the FWC reconsidering the pompano and permit issue in the first place. I'll let someone more informed than me give the complete details if they want to.

• Later from the same thread.

Quote from Biminibill

Tony, I have to tell you that based on what I was told it was not "funny" that you ended up in a back and forth with Commissioner Barreto as to what he did or did not say previously. Your comment put him on the spot and regardless of whether you were technically accurate or not, you made no brownie points trying to drive it home by arguing with him. It doesn't matter whether he says it's midnight at noon. You offer an "apology if I'm mistaken" and go on. Putting the FWC Chairman on the hot seat probably made you a new enemy. Fortunately the presence of other spearos, letters to the Chairman from still others AND the fact that a number of the commissioners ARE in fact divers carried the day.

Quote from Spearmax

Bill, once again you are speculating wildly. Ed Walker confirmed to me right after that exchange that he too thought the Chairman had said that quote at the Clewiston Meeting. But alas, all is well Bill. The Chairman and I had a great exchange at the break after the Permit session. He gave me his card and we will be having lunch in Miami very soon. Turns out we know many of the same people on the political scene. He was appointed by Jeb Bush whom I had lunch with four days ago. Incoming Governor Scott is someone I have very good connections to and I spoke with new Congressman Allen West (who is a diver) about today's FWC meeting on the way there this morning. No enemies in that crowd my friend! Just do your thing Bill (but quit sniping) and let me do mine. Peace, Tony

Like I said, you do not want the grogan representing your interests as a spearfisher. I had lunch with this person and I'll have lunch with that person, yeah yeah.. he's a regular freakin' hero. Makes me as sick to have to write about him as it is for you guys to read about him, but I feel compelled to not let his BS stand unchallenged.

• Davie was with me and spoke very well about the issues. The FWC staff seemed to love him.

• The megalomania never ends from that goblin. Notice how he always attemps to toot his own horn. Don't be fooled by his smoke and mirrors. He nearly sabatoged for everyone not even being allowed to harvest permit or AP in Federal waters when that was already a forgone conclusion and he and the hamburglar clamoring for state waters to be open too and waking up a hornest nest of very strong groups like the CCA and other inshore anglers. Then he gets in a back and forth with the commisioner of the FWC. But hey, he got the guy's business card, so let's all sing kumbaya then. Dork!

The grogan never ignores and never forgets. He holds grudges and is terribly vindictive. He has done more to the detriment of spearfishing communiity in Florida than any enemy of the sport can only hope for. Amazing how he fools many with his alleged selfless acts and so-called championing our sport. I don't give a rat's azz if he has tea with the Queen of England or breaks bread with Jesus himself. He's still a sociopathic disturbed shitforbrains that needs to be called on his shit. Blow it out your ass grogan!

As for those who attended, many thanks. FRA traveled over and did a great job. I'm proud to be a member.

• Well said.

Quote from Biminibill

Tony, are they any more names you'd like to drop? You're as bad as my mother.

An eyewitness and avid spearfisher reported that you were called out twice: Once for the misquote, second for making some statement to the effect that there were no divers on the Commission to which a number of them countered you. I was further told that Mr. Barreto told you directly "get your facts straight". Regardless of his personal opinion Mr. Barreto isn't going to snub you because his position doesn't allow for such behavior. Beyond that, you might try to read between the lines a little better. Your thing? I'm glad to know you think you're so important Tony, and so effective. Most, including me don't share your self-evaluation but hey, have at it.

• Who wouldn't love Davie. He's like a furry Cuban pilsbury dough boy that dives and shoots fish like a fiend. Thanks again guys.

He is not a furry pilsbury dough boy anymore. Hes thinner than me now.

• Greekdiver (Harry) and Davie, as I said on SFP - thank you both for going to the meeting and speaking on behalf of our sport. I've been to every video and stakeholder meeting on this issue (minus the Comm. meetings) from day one and yesterday was big in turning the direction that the regs were heading and HUGE for shedding positive light on the sport of spearfishing in eyes of the State's fishery managers. Thank you again.

As much as I agree with the majority of the sentiment shown here towards Tony, I have to applaud him (and Jim Fyfe - JFJF) for being there and speaking on our behalf. Tony's exchange with the Barretto was amusing since the Chairman pretty much made him look like an idiot, even though Tony was already doing a damn good job of that all by himself.

Tony and Jim are not the cause of the permit (and AP) issues that we have been working with the FWC on. Long story short - I believe it was in 2006 when I first saw my first school of AP on a deep wreck in the GOM. Afterwards I asked on SB if they were legal to shoot in Fed waters since I could not find anything on gear restrictions from the State nor the Feds. Turned into a HUGE discussion and then mid 2007 thankfully John H. (Kitefisherman) who is a great spearo and lawyer wrote a great letter to the FWC Division of Law Enforcement trying to find out their legal position on AP, permit, and pompano (they are all regulated together). From that inquiry we recieved official confirmation that we were allowed to harvest (by spearing gear) those species in fed waters only. Well it wasn't soon afterwards that pictures of permit and spearfishermen quickly began to find themselves on the internet thanks to the numerous forums. Once the Keys flats fishermen started seeing them the shit hit the fan and since late 2008 we've been in this mess to keep what we've had all along.

Bryan

Edit: And for the most part I've never really seen eye to eye with Bill Parks (BiminiBill) but he's hit the nail on the head with his responses to Tony.

Shoot em when you see em.

• Thanks for shedding light on the subject Bryan. I remember all that unfolding on SB, and should still have a copy of that email that we're supposed to keep on the boat. However I was referring to what I was told about the grogan recently stirring the hornet's nest at a meeting by asking to change the already in place state permit and pompano regulations.

• Tony and jfjf argued in a previous meeting that spearfishermen should have the same bag limits and be able to shoot Permit and AP in State waters. Funny how ALL the flats fishermen and Fly guides came out of the wood work against spearfishing. One council member stated something to the fact that the last thing he wants to see is a "snorkeler" coming across a flat attempting to shoot a Permit he's fly fishing for. That act alone IMO changed the feelings of the commission and they recommended FWC staff change the recommendation at the time to NOT allow those species to be harvested with a speargun.

Fortunately that argument was not brought up by them at the most resent meeting. Everyone who attended or wrote letters/emails helped the FWC commissioners to better understand spearfishing and why it should be allowed.

• You are both correct.

I will also say in their defense that their argument that we should be allowed to harvest permit and AP in State waters IS a valid one. It was discussed during the last stakeholder meeting prior to the Sept. Commission meeting and FWRI staff listened and proposed that change at that meeting. That's when a few of the Commissioners, Ted Forgesen with the CCA, and all the Key's fly-fishermen about shit their pants. The only reason we are not allowed to harvest them in state waters today is because when the rules were made we had zero representation and they shut us out. There's zero biological or scientifical reasons that we shouldn't be able to harvest them in State waters.

HOWEVER, by a few going down that road we almost lost all of our access to harvest. As Gamble mentioned, THANKFULLY Tony and Jim did not push for that during the meeting yesterday.

If you search on SB for "shooting AP or shooting African Pompano" you should find the original thread.

Shoot em when you see em.

• i do much of my best hunting in 4-10" of water...hahaha

i love fly fishing but I will say this..catch and release, flats fly fishermen are soe of the most self rightous jerks in the universe. some are amazing, but I have had some many ugly conversations with them about any and everything you can disagree about..right down to keeping the oceans clean.

true story, sorry for derail, but I was kayaking out of snowden's dam in biscayne bay and was really just out for an exercise paddle and i found a nasty old tire barely exposed at low tide. Iyanked it and was paddleing it over to the "put in" and a guy in waders started yelling at me for disturbing the spot!?!? i was shocked and asked how he thought garbage was a part of the spot and his answer was, " i have caught a lot of bone fish off that tire so they must like it" I could have thrown the tire at his head.

regardless, thanks for keeping us safe for now guys :notworthy3:

i like to spear fish

• The megalomania never ends from that goblin. Notice how he always attemps to toot his own horn. Don't be fooled by his smoke and mirrors. He nearly sabatoged for everyone not even being allowed to harvest permit or AP in Federal waters when that was already a forgone conclusion and he and the hamburglar clamoring for state waters to be open too and waking up a hornest nest of very strong groups like the CCA and other inshore anglers. Then he gets in a back and forth with the commisioner of the FWC. But hey, he got the guy's business card, so let's all sing kumbaya then. Dork!

The grogan never ignores and never forgets. He holds grudges and is terribly vindictive. He has done more to the detriment of spearfishing communiity in Florida than any enemy of the sport can only hope for. Amazing how he fools many with his alleged selfless acts and so-called championing our sport. I don't give a rat's azz if he has tea with the Queen of England or breaks bread with Jesus himself. He's still a sociopathic disturbed shitforbrains that needs to be called on his shit. Blow it out your ass grogan!

As for those who attended, many thanks. FRA traveled over and did a great job. I'm proud to be a member.

That has to be the funniest AND MOST TRUE thing I have ever read on any forum EVER!!!!!!!:laughing3: