Diving terminology

• I thought this would be a good place to post the meaning of some diving terminology that is not immediately apparent.

For starters I'd like to know if there's a name for the movement we do to break the surface, I always refer to it as doubling over but I'm sure there's a proper name for it. Anyone know?

• I have Pelizzari's/ Maas etc. books at home, I'm sure it's in there somewhere.

• I thought this would be a good place to post the meaning of some diving terminology that is not immediately apparent.

For starters I'd like to know if there's a name for the movement we do to break the surface, I always refer to it as doubling over but I'm sure there's a proper name for it. Anyone know?

duck dive maybe? we use our body weight for maximum depth and form, without using

much effort. it is like a freebie i usually get 6-8 feet from it.

I have noticed some freediver's kicking before their body isn't even completley submerged, it is a waste of oxygen,

When properly done, from the surface you see one fin dropping straight down.

Edited 3 times, last by Alan ().

• Not to derail, but when did it go from double leg to single. Or was it always both, or always single. I was originally taught double(two) legs. Everything else being the same. Sorry for derail Dan, but curious.

• I've always kept both legs together and for me it's more the effect of the upper body thrusting down than one leg or both rising up and pushing the upper body down. Maybe the reason for this is that I was diving long before spearfishing or even using fins. Hence the stroke was a frog kick and that kind of surface entry was a good prelude to starting the frog kick. I've since seen the classic way freedivers do it raising one let. I try to remember to do it from time to time but always fall back on my old way like this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkMWbytwXMs&feature=related :D

• I just remembered that there's one video in existence of me diving and it includes a surface entry! I didn't even pay attention to that the times that I watched it. I just checked it out and I do double leg and it looks pretty smooth just like I imagine it when I dive.

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s170/da4095/Spearfishing-Videos/?action=view&current=20080802FoundSpeargun.flv

• Toledo, we usually bend one leg at around the stomach and then follow through with our hands

in front. Interesting approach using both legs. .

You use(bend) leg first before hands or body down? I kick forward (1 or 2 cycle) bend waist, hands down, legs up. By that time I'm a few feet under from initial momentum.

• I've read you bend first then lift one leg up and keep other down. The other leg that is under water is stressed and will in effect provide a "free kick" since it's under water straightening itself out. Combine this with the weight of the leg out of the water. So you get a thrust from the stressed leg and gravity from the leg out of water, which might be more than lifting both legs out of the water.

Davie Peguero

• aright.... i'm confused about this bent leg one leg technique. Can someone explain it to me? How does your bent leg provide an extra boost??

Also, how much of a stroke do you do with your hands/arm when you're about to dive.

• Dan,
    ROLO had it correct, surface dive/surface entry is the applied term for diving down from the surface at least by PADI, NAUI, YMCA and SSI scuba texts that we used. Perhaps there is a different freediving term as freedivers and scuba divers drop below the surface differently?

• The Manual of Freediving calls it a duckdive. :cool2: I don't think there's a definite term for it. Duckdive is used in surfing, surface entry also makes sense.

-When you dive down with both feet in the air to use their weight is the most efficient according to him.

-Pelizzari calls the technique where you only stick one foot in the air "the Spearfisher's duckdive".

I've been trying to stick with the second one (one foot), because it's quieter.