10/18/08 La Santa Fe - Shitty vis

• Rolo, you poetic sub-cagón you! Me meé de la risa con la foto de tu risita! Que singao eres!:laughing3:

Brings back memories of a dive off Miami some years ago when you summoned me as if there was a huge black grouper under a ledge only to show me a fine specimen of bowel movement that you had unleashed onto the great Ocean gods!

Estás de Pinga!

• I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and looked behind me only to see Dan. He was stalking me like some of the men that live in his neighborhood (Rolo can clarify).

The vis was bad in some spots, I thought I saw a giant black grouper surface below me - It was just Davie.

I had a lot of fun meeting and diving with everyone. I was lucky not to swim in Rolo's "brown eel" because I was swimming back to the boat at the same time as Davie.

Nice haul Jim! :thumbsup2:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Autocross Junkie

• To me it all depends on the current not the vis. If there is current avoids diving 'spots' and just drift productive drifts. If there is no current dive anything regardless of vis.

Davie Peguero

• There's nothing wrong with that approach in theory. But how long would you be able to stay focused drifting and making blind drops on the reefs we did on Sat never being able to come back to the same spot twice? I'd say if current is another added factor to the bad vis maybe it's time to call it a day or at least take a break until it subsides.

• There's nothing wrong with that approach in theory. But how long would you be able to stay focused drifting and making blind drops on the reefs we did on Sat never being able to come back to the same spot twice?

We dove multiple spots being able to descend on the same spot despite the poor viz on Saturday. The first spot that was in 55' was a rock in a middle of sand. Every drop I made, I descended within 10 feet of the rock or on top of it for the most part. Again, we were able to do this because the current was next to nothing. Later in the day, Davie and I were diving an area with some broke up wreck mixed in among ledges and we basically had a very good idea on what we would drop on in respect to structure for every dive. Poor viz is underrated at times. Some of the best groupers I've shot in the Keys was without top to bottom visibility. That being said, it is so much more relaxing to just drift an area and work it with top to bottom viz. It is more enjoyable for me.

The diving up here is almost impossible without marker buoys. Even without current. Ledges here do not run continually and wrecks and barges are sitting on sand. There are only 1-2 artificials that we have had top to bottom viz. I have had more shark encounters here in 1.5 years than I did during my entire time diving out of Miami. And all have been Bulls or Large Lemons.

• I find I dive best when the vis sucks ass. I can usually manage a good depth and breathold on my first dive compared to a first dive in good vis.

I guess getting used to diving Ft. lauderdale where the vis is usually 30ft makes me feel calm.

Davie Peguero

• My first dive is always terrible, by the 3rd or 4th, I'm good. I think that better visibility does make the diving easier because it usually lets you be more relaxed about the "unknown". However, I think the bad vis helps me keep my head in it's normal position when I dive down, not trying to look at the bottom the whole time. This trick has definitely given me a lot more bottom time.