Pompano Beach Nov21 [Cobia]

• I started drifting along the reef in about 65ft of water. The visibility was awesome. I could make out the bottom in 70ft. I saw a big sea ray along the bottom, and it was covered with cobias. I counted 8 cobias. I took a quick short breath, and i was on my way down. I began to get as close as possible for a headshot. I was in range where i knew i could get the shot. I let the spear fly, and it almost passed completely through its head. The spear got caught on the reef, and the cobia bent it half. :( I slowly came back up to the surface while i watched the cobia shaking his head trying to remove the spear. After 2 tries i grabbed the fish in its gills, and he was mine.

Ps my facial expression rules :)

• greekdiver,
    Very nice.
    I am sure great shots on fish that big and at that depth could only be done with pneumatic guns.:thumbsup2:[ Lo siento, I couldn't resist].
    Congratulations.
    Video?
    PS. That is a beautiful boat.
    hau

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 4 times, last by hau ().

• Facial expression says at least 50lb :) Nice cobe and good story Harry. That is indeed a nice spacious boat and the two motors give that extra peace of mind. How about a pic of the whole boat if you have it. So the cobias are in and the conditions are perfect, I'll be keeping an eye for them when I'm back in the water in a week. How did the cobia taste? Do you like them in general?

• Facial expression says at least 50lb :) Nice cobe and good story Harry. That is indeed a nice spacious boat and the two motors give that extra peace of mind. How about a pic of the whole boat if you have it. So the cobias are in and the conditions are perfect, I'll be keeping an eye for them when I'm back in the water in a week. How did the cobia taste? Do you like them in general?

I love cobia. I steak them and put them right on the grill with spices. I am going to my families house tonight. Going to cook a bunch of steaks.

They are great eating but they bend shafts. They are easy to get. If you see them, chances are you get one. There isnt any technique to getting these fish. It a prized fish because of size but i still like to shoot them because they are tasty.

Boat is a 28.6 Prokat center console with twin 225 4 stroke suzukis. I run it at 3000 rpms and it hardly burns any gas.

• greekdiver,
    I do not want this to get your great spearin post off post, but your boat looks new or almost new and I write to offer a suggestion.
    I used to commercial sponge dive and the dead sponges and fish would destroy/stain any boat deck. To stop that problem completly and to make boat cleanup easier, we would buy sheet vinyl from swimming pool builders and cut to fit our boat decks. At the end of the day all we had to do way fold up and lift out the sheet and throw it onto the ground for scrubbing and pressure wash/spray. Scrap pieces of this sheet vinyl is not expensive after you find a good source and one piece will last you many years.
    Hope this helps.
    hau

• Sweet ling Bro! I love the layout of those cats! how wide is it? I was looking at a cat before I bought my Dusky 233 but was too wide to fit my driveway!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Autocross Junkie