begin at 830am---------------end at noon
    wind from SE at 5mph-------from SE at 7mph
    water temp 81F in 20fsw
    current from S at 1/2mph---from S at 1mph
    viz 35f in 20fsw--------------20f in 20fsw
    seas flat----------------------less than 2f
    air temp 82F PC-------------91F PC

Me, scott and Moving Target on the 1st reef and did 1/2 day
    Scott got 1 or 2 good hogs, Moving Target got 1 very nice hog and 2 ok hogs, I got a dozen reef fish:thumbsup2:
    viz was perfect when we first started and got worse and worse.
    Scott and I both are missing less fish after switching back to mono shooting lines instead of Qpower line connected direct to the shafts. I took some pictures of Moving Targets fish, hope the pictures turn out ok and he posts them here:D

I'm starting to get rigged up to yak/spear out on the 3rd reef. Anyone with third reef experience that could offer opinions on how best to hunt out there using, float lines, chum, break-away systems,, etc would be greatly appreciated. I currently have a RA reel with 200f Qpowerline, a RA 120 with 2 16mm short bands and 1 RA FAD.
    What else would you suggest I use for 50F+ spearing on the 3rd reef?
    Thanks in advance for your opinions:toast:

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 3 times, last by hau ().

• Drift on the ledge on the third reef, you can also try about 50 ft inside for the blacks and snapper. Sand is about 50-60 ft and reef can come up to 40ft.

We drift until we come upon a fishy area with lots of grunts on it. If there is no current dive the area. If there is current get back in and drift it again. Give it a couple passes and move on if nothing good shows up.

Davie Peguero

• seaweed---Thanks. That is exactly the kind of information I needed:D

I want to use my RA reel with 200F Qpower line,------so, is a 100F RA float line with a dive flag float good enough for the 3rd reef AND blue water?
    Thanks in advance for your opinions:toast:

• At Meade St today
    begin at 830----------------end at 2pm
    wind from South at 5mph--from NW at 9mph
    water temp 81F in 25fsw
    current 0--------------------from South at 2mph
    viz 60f in 40fsw------------30f in 30fsw
    seas flat--------------------less than 2f
    air temp 80F PC-----------90F PC

Can't believe I haven't been in the water for 6 days:0
    Met a nice Cuban spearo at Meade St. parking lot and he borrowed my Hobie and went out to the 2nd reef "Schoolhouse" with me.
    He uses a pneumatic and I could hear him shooting and shooting:D
    I shot a 49in cuda midbody above the spine that took 100f of reel line off on the first run:0
    I yelled and my friend swam over and put a kill shot into the cuda.:thumbsup2:
    He got several nice reef fish and at least one mac I saw.
    I got a bag of reef fish and the cuda.
    FWC checked us out while we were on the 2nd reef:rolleyes1:

I had the new cam on the gun but don't know how to use the cam yet. My RA120 just barely floats with my new cam rig:thumbsup2:
    The Tin Man camera mount works perfectly. I can easily load the bands as the mount places the cam out of the way. As expected, the mount is beautifully manufactured and with perfect service from Tin Man as always. Thank you Tin Man. You have a PM:thumbsup2:

Spearfishing Store

Edited 5 times, last by hau ().

• At Meade St today
    begin at 8am--------------end at 5pm
    wind from South at 5mph--from SE at 15mph
    water temp 81F in 25fsw
    current from S at 2.5mph--from S at 1/2mph
    viz 40f in 40fsw-------------25f in 25fsw
    seas flat---------------------less than 2 from SE
    temp 80F PC---------------93F PC

Solo today. Started at the "Schoolhouse" on Meade St. 2nd reef till the viz shut down. Then I went out to the 3rd reef to check it out. Viz there was 40f in 50fsw so I came back in to the 1st reef and drifted North. Got a bag of schoolmasters and little dogs, thats all

• Pargo---Ya Mon, I love spearin.
    Also, I have to break-in my new carbons and UW cam:D
    Thanks Pargo

spearos---be advised, "FWC is on full alert for the next 2-3 weeks before mini season".
    I got checked yesterday and today,[ by the same officer]
    He even knows me by name now

Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• you think he's stop f'ing with you after two checks...is he searching your yak for bugs or just checking that you have the same stuff each time...seems like poor resource management

i like to spear fish

• LunkerBuster--is another nice thing about yak spearin. ==never had an officer board my yak:D
    They may have a quota of stops each day.:rolleyes1:
    I don't mind the stops once a week or so. Is WAY, WAY better than down in the Keys PARK with stops EVERY
    DAY by FWC, USCG, DOT, HOMELAND SECURITY, MCSO, etc, etc, etc:angry5:
    Just my opinion

• At Meade St. 1st reef today
    begin at 815-------------------end at noon
    wind from SE at 5-------------SE at 10mph
    water temp 81F
    current from S at 2mph------from S at 1mph
    viz 30f in 30fsw---------------25f in 25fsw
    seas flat-----------------------less than 2
    air temp 84F PC--------------93F PC

Me and scott went on the first reef and got some small fish. Saw an 10f nurse shark, turtles and scott saw 3 crippled hogs:D

• At Meade St solo today
    begin at 830----------------end at 3pm
    wind from SE at 5mph-----from S at 20mph
    water temp 81F
    current 5mph on 3rd reef, 45fsw--2 mph on 2nd reef
    viz 45f in 45fsw------------25f in 25fsw
    seas flast-------------------3f and building
    air temp 83F PC-----------80F afternoon storm

Went solo out to the 3rd reef but the current was rippin so hard that my 120f anchor line and anchor was bouncing on top of the reef and I couldn't let go of the yak:0
    I loaded up and paddled a mile to the Schoolhouse [2nd reef] and :attack2: a bag of schoolmasters and other small reef fish. Saw no good fish all day. Another big afternoon storm today, but I got my compass mounted on the yak now so I can tell which way is in to shore.
    A yak friend of mine got worried till the LG saw me coming in with his binoculars.:rolleyes1:

• nice thread lots of good information here thanks again for putting me on that second reef at meade st

• i did not read the whole thing, but i did read the first and last page. i like the facts about where Hau was for the dives.

• hau and i were out on the 2nd reef, i did ok for the day good size hog and mangrove (the two in my avatir)