Broward Beach Conditions

• spearos---right now the sea conditions here in Hollywood are worse than yesterday:(
    Wind is SE at 20mph
    water is brownish green because of all the beach and sandbar surf:(
    there are NO boats out on the water:(

• spearos, this is beginning to look promising :D

TODAY
    SOUTHEAST WINDS 11 TO 16 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET SUBSIDING
    TO 2 FEET OR LESS.

TUESDAY
    SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS.
    INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.

WEDNESDAY
    SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 8 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHEAST 7 TO
    12 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS.

THURSDAY
    EAST WINDS 5 TO 7 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHEAST. SEAS 2 FEET
    OR LESS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS SMOOTH. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

FRIDAY
    NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 6 KNOTS BECOMING SOUTHEAST 5 TO
    8 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS.
    National Weather Service
    Generated 1423 UTC, Monday, May 03, 2010

• just paddled out between the first and the second in the little yak, just to get on the water and in the sun. no gear. could see top to bottom in 30ft of water despite heavy east wind and 3-4 fooot seas.
    tomorows promising and thursday they are calling for 3mph ssw wind :) and then storms at 1pm :(

p.s theres some heavy coompetition i saw two guys in an inflatable dingy with pool flippers and 3 foot pole spears wearing life vests... i just hope they leave a couple fish in the ocean for the rest of us

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Went out at commercial pier today and swan out to the first reef. Got two nice hog-fish in the ripping current. On the way back in I got my very first visit from the tax man. Saw him off in the distance then he came in closer to check me out, close enough for a shot but I held off, just kept the gun between me an him. The fish were on the float close to me. I keep trying to remember everything I read and heard from other about dealing with sharks.

He swam off into the distance out of visibility I knew he was not through with me. I was hoping he was not trying to get behind me but I knew he wanted my fish and it was time to pay up. My head was on a swivel and just as I was suspected he appeared behind me, I got my fish off the float and dropped then and swam towards shore. While swimming back I saw the shark drop down and grab up the fish. I hauled ass back to shore and at the surf zone I stood up and calmed myself down. That is the story of my first shark encounter.

• Kyle,

Good story.

Scary stuff huh. The first time is the worst.

Two fish is a very small price to pay.

Just remember dropping your catch doesn't always work. Sometimes they still keep coming after you or for some reason the tip of your gun.

How was the vis?
    Which direction was the current?

• Not the best move Kyle, the next time that shark will see a diver he'll be sure to harass them until he gets their fish. What you should've done is swam at him aggressively pointing with the speargun the first time you saw him. He would've taken off. Next you should've put a power head on your spear. If he would appear again that means he didn't heed the warning and you're justified in shooting him. If you hit him with a PH he ain't coming back.

These are the best PH for this application http://spearfishing.world/divi…rhead-and-belt-pouch.html

• Dan I was stupid enough to not have a PH and actually I was going to call you on the drive home to ask if I could come pick some up tomorrow. I was running over the situation again and again in my head and thinking what I could have done differently. I was on my own which was probably the first mistake and now I know I was slightly under prepared. Next time I will try that if I feel comfortable. I did try swimming slightly towards him but just did not have the full confidence that is when he swam off the first time but I knew he was going to come back and it would probably have been from my back.

When I saw him the first time I kept thinking in my head " That's a fucking shark isn't it ", looked like a 5 ft bull shark.

• It's all about your attitude with these animals. If you really wanted to spear him I'll bet he'd never let you get close enough. The shark would understand that you're a predator. This normally would apply to sharks that are not after eating people, as in your case. But I'd guess that even with big sharks a bluff would work. Then there are animals that are just plain unpredictable, but they're the exception. A PH is always good to have regardless. Knowing that you can really hurt a shark does wonders for your self confidence, which a shark in turn picks up on.

You can get the powerheads after 3 tomorrow if you like, hopefully we'll be diving in the morning.

• i need to grab one too Dan... I am still saving up for my suit, but this might have to jump ahead for me in priority.

what is your procedure with your PH?

swim with it on the belt and slip it onto your spear when you see the tax man? ever worry about an ambush attack or not really with the bulls around here ?

i like to spear fish