Broward Beach Conditions

• great pics...that is a huge lionfish...how deep was he?

Dan you are hilarious

He was actually the biggest of 4, all big enough to eat in 25-40 ft of water. I typically don't see them so big at that depth. Here is a video of me shooting it.

http://youtu.be/WjY_cSmIKlU

edit: how do i post a youtube video in the thread? anyone know?

Edited 6 times, last by Reefchief ().

• Late report for: 1-12-12__#6-2012m3
    South of Port Everglades today
    begin at 8am--------end at 1130
    wind from N at 3mph---NE at 10mph
    current N to S at 1/2mph --N to S at 1mph
    viz 55f in 50fsw-----45F in 45fsw
    seas almost flat-----2f
    water temp 74F
    68F 10% clouds--78F 10% clouds

Got a little earlier start today as I had to quit early. S. Florida winter weather spearin is definatly here. Sea was almost flat this morning with little wind and waves and current and good viz. I saw cobia today but then lost them before I could put steel to one. Did get one mutton and one boar hog and wasted lots of time just enjoying the deeper water:)

• 1-14-12__#7-2012m2
    begin at 8am--------end at 1230
    wind from NE at 8mph---NE at 12mph
    current N to S at 1 1/2mph --N to S at 1mph
    viz 30f in 25fsw-----25F in 25fsw
    seas 2f------------2-3f
    water temp 73F
    61F overcast--72F overcast

Today was alot different then the other day. I was cold paddeling out to the second reef and when I put my bare feet in the water it was warmer. I am now wearing my winter wetsuit of 3mm socks, 3mms farmer john with 5mm opencell hooded top and 3mm gloves and am nice and warm
    There was TONS of moon jellies in drift patches so thick that I had to swim around them and my anchor line got slippery from all the jellies rubbing on it. I missed a few smaller macs and got 1 hog, 1 dog and 1 lesser jack.
    NO beach buns today :(

• 1-15-12__#8-2012m2
    begin at 830am--------end at 1230
    wind from N at 12mph---N at 16mph
    current N to S at 2mph --N to S at 2 1/2mph
    viz 30f in 25fsw-----25F in 25fsw
    seas 2-3f------------3-4f
    water temp 73F
    50F high sierra clouds--73F high sierra clouds

Todays weather was NOT the perfect yak freedive spearfishing day for this old man.
    I knew it was gonna be tough when I stepped outside to go home from work at 730am and it was 50F and blowin hard from the North.:( But I have no reputation of being one of the smartest so I shoved off at 8am and set the bow to the north. Course the further out I paddled the higher the waves got and when I got on top of the 2nd reef that was good enough for todays conditions. Now I had another problem as I realized my 100f anchor line was stretched out pretty good due to a 2mph current. :( With a 12mph and building north wind, 3-4f seas breaking over my poor scupper pro and the current rippin there was only one thing to do. I jumped overboard to kill fish :crazy:
    I just got my ET loaded when the first mac came up from the bottom to check out my 7mm spear:D. By 1230 I'd had enough. I ended with 2 mac, 1 hog, 2 mutton and swollen lips from swimmin through the jellies.
    Least the shore surf was only 3f and I lost no gear hitting the beach.:)

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited once, last by hau ().

• well I went out this morning with LB and some friends. seas were 2-3 easily and fairly steep due to the wind. we had top to bottom viz in 45 though. had some difficulties in just about every aspect of the day and decided to come in after my friend came up dizzy with small amounts of blood coming out of his ear. no fish or bugs

• well I went out this morning with LB and some friends. seas were 2-3 easily and fairly steep due to the wind. we had top to bottom viz in 45 though. had some difficulties in just about every aspect of the day and decided to come in after my friend came up dizzy with small amounts of blood coming out of his ear. no fish or bugs

Sounds like a rough time, I know how those days go :frustrated2:. Was your friend diving with equalization issues or was the blood and pain out of nowhere?

I went out yesterday south of Hollywood and tagged along with some people hookahing for bugs in 25-35ft mostly to test out my new Aeris F10. Despite the wind and waves being pretty favorable we couldn't seem to find viz past 30 feet.

The hookah divers got 8 bugs and I took a large grey trigger. Passed on a couple of nice sized hogs (got hog in the freezer) and saw tons of small mangroves and macs. Also got to see and follow around some neat sea creatures, a few large rays, a cuttlefish, a huge porcupine puffer, and an octopus.

• Sounds like a rough time, I know how those days go :frustrated2:. Was your friend diving with equalization issues or was the blood and pain out of nowhere?

I went out yesterday south of Hollywood and tagged along with some people hookahing for bugs in 25-35ft mostly to test out my new Aeris F10. Despite the wind and waves being pretty favorable we couldn't seem to find viz past 30 feet.

The hookah divers got 8 bugs and I took a large grey trigger. Passed on a couple of nice sized hogs (got hog in the freezer) and saw tons of small mangroves and macs. Also got to see and follow around some neat sea creatures, a few large rays, a cuttlefish, a huge porcupine puffer, and an octopus.

friend was scuba diving said he was having some trouble equalizing but nothing terrible just a little slow, then he said he had it pop and bubbles came out of his ear, and he got light headed nad felt dizzy. he came up as quick as he safely could.

• and an octopus.

I saw an octopus out of Broward yesterday also, a first for me on the FL east coast. My buddy actually caught it with his hands, it inked everywhere then swam away. I've seen several at night down in the keys, but this one was pretty big.. easily 3x the size of the ones I've seen before.

• I saw an octopus out of Broward yesterday also, a first for me on the FL east coast. My buddy actually caught it with his hands, it inked everywhere then swam away. I've seen several at night down in the keys, but this one was pretty big.. easily 3x the size of the ones I've seen before.

Then he caught me... That scared the crap outta me :laughing3:

Conditions were good enough for me and nate saturday n sunday to score some nice bugs and a few quality fish.

• Went out of Hollywood today with sdeisen, in at a bit after 8am and out at 2:45pm. Forecast said it'd be relatively nice, but it surpassed our expectations. The swell when we put in was actually larger than it was when we got out.. the wind died down as the day went on, and the seas dropped to almost flat. The plan was to go straight to the 3rd reef. We somehow managed to overshoot it by a long shot and jumped in about 85-90ft. We eventually found the reef.. 60' vis in 50-55 ft with a very small current going north. Total haul between the 2 of us was 4 hogs, 2 macks, 1 trigger, and 1 porgy. The second that I jumped in, I saw a king right under Steven's yak.. I loaded as fast as possible and dropped but he was already too far away, that puts me 0/3 on Hollywood kings:( Steven also caught a few Z's and a tan :laughing: Life is goooood.

Edited once, last by Nate ().