Broward Beach Conditions

• I had my hood off from the get go and spent half the time with my hand around my neck letting water in. But as soon as I let go the water I let in very quickly warmed back up. So I wasnt too bad swimming around. But every time I dove I was right back to feeling too hot again. And for some reason I generate a lot of heat during and after a breathold. Its simply a matter of your wetsuit working too good :D

The same thing happened last year around this time where the water is a bit tricky to predict, but from now on I need to err on the side of being chilly not warm. I need to remind myself A bit of a chill makes things slightly uncomfortable. Being too hot makes me feel like im heat strokin.

Tomorrow I will probably just wear the speardiver vest and lycra.

Cool that hardline got a sheepshead, I never see those.

Good tips Dan. I like to pull the hood back and flood water down my neck and back, seems to cool me off really quick.

We were saying the same thing. Ive seen a couple babies off hollywood usually around really large coral heads. This spot was similar. Its a nice one too. He will probably be posting a pic.

Also, I should mention. It was pretty fishy out. Was only on the first reef but saw lots of action. Jacks, Runners, Some triggers, And a fair number of nice mangroves at the edge of viz.

Edited 3 times, last by Reefchief ().

• Wow guys, that's a nice sheepshead for this area..

I took a shot at the mangrove that broke off Reefchief's spear and missed right when this guy swam by. I reloaded and he was gone but I just waited around the structure we were working and sure enough he came back around. These guys are not skittish at all.

• Interesting. I've speared quite a few large ones in Boca that were VERY skittish and also some in Vero Beach that were far more docile... thats the first ft. lauderdale one I've heard of. Have you seen them here before?

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Interesting. I've speared quite a few large ones in Boca that were VERY skittish and also some in Vero Beach that were far more docile... thats the first ft. lauderdale one I've heard of. Have you seen them here before?

steve i see a ton of em in the marinas when im cleaning boat hulls. a few i saw may or may not have been killed:rolleyes1: i got one yesterday actually. nate flipped me off for it.

I used to get them regularly when i lived in st lucie county. more often then not I think they like nasty muddier bottom n dirtier water.

I have seen them up in palm beach more often especially around the bridges where there is often no spearfishing permitted...I have never seen them on the reef so imagine my surprise when he came strolling along next to me while I was unloaded. I swam right up to him with my hand out and he could care less. I figured he wouldn't veer to far away and when he came back around the second time, it was lights out. He put up quite a fight thrashing and splashing on the surface and even still flopping around in the cooler on the way back in the car lol :D

• went out yesterday off Oakland around 1:30 in about 35 to 45ft viz was bad untill you get to bottom. got 2 nice hogs and they were tasty :)

• OK

BTW the water was milk today N and S of Haulover. A real waste of time.

We found some viz again today in 70-90 nate came out on the dive boat i work on. bout 40 at first then got worse as the day went on. Were you in a smaller boat? Thought i saw a few freedivers heading out suited up in a couple boats, we were on the SCUBA diving boat with the shark teeth painted on the hull.

• Sorry to hear it Dan. I found really nice viz off Hollywood today. Better then I've seen in months. The kind that you can see the reef from the boat. It was probably 40-50 feet viz on the second.Viz got worse the closer I got to hallendale. Saw lots of fish action. Tons of borderline and small grouper. A lot of small school masters and grovers. A bunch of strawberries I passed on (never eaten one don't know enough about yield/taste etc ). Tons of dif jack species.

Edit: Moved the rest to my thread.

Edited 3 times, last by Reefchief ().