Gopro HD Hero 2

• I was in the process of getting my first underwater cam in the likes of the GOPRO HD HERO but now i see Gopro has released an updated version of the HD Hero. It has some nice features that were expected with an upgrade and im thinking of getting it but i see that it doesnt come with video cables and also being newer, maybe there are bugs to work out. Is it worth the buy or should i go ahead with what is tried and tested?

HD HERO2 Outdoor Edition

• If you are gonna do other stuff rather than spearfihing I would. I am gonna get one for work soon.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• The new HERO2 cameras are now available from Pursuit http://freedivingspearfishinggear.com/34-underwater-cameras.The HERO2 cameras use the same housing with a curved lens as its predecessor, and continues to have the underwater focus problem. The Pursuit flat lens Flat Polycarbonate Lens For GoPro - Pursuit fits the new cameras and corrects the blurry problem. These images were taken underwater with a HERO2 camera.

• Dan,

It looks like you have the GoPro 2. Based on the description it has multiple fields of view. Have you had a chance to play around with this yet? I would be curious to know what the 127' FOV looks like. Also do you notice any improvement in the quality of the video?

Thanks.

• KLalelJason There are some remdios to record and out of the water, the solution to give the target DAN and other applications made by an Italian Pippocci

Aquí está una descripción que Filippo me envió sobre la lente:

"Mi chiamo Filippo Bertocci, vivo in italia, sono un ingegnere meccanico e lavoro per una ditta che produce sistemi di sicurezza, fra cui telecamere di video sorveglianza.
    Essendo anche un pescatore ed avendo la gopro, stanco di vedere i pesci piccoli o non vederli, ho deciso di cercare una lente di qualità per modificare l'eccessivo grandangolo della gopro.
    Da qui 6 mesi di studi e la prova di oltre 20 lenti fino ad arrivare al risultato che ritengo ottimale per la pescasub.
    La modifica consiste nel sostituire la lente ottica originale con quella del mio kit, mentre la custodia subacquea rimane uguale, ma deve avere la lente piatta che serve per avere le immagini a fuoco sott'acqua.
    Il kit non è costituito dalla sola lente ma include:

n° 1 lente ad alata definizione
    n° 1 fascetta di gomma che serve per sostituire la lente originale senza rovinarla per poterla rimettere all'occorrenza quando servisse la garanzia
    n° 1 oring che serve perchè il diametro della mia lente è inferiore a quello della originale..si evita che polvere e luce possano finire sul sensore
    n° 1 cacciavite piccolo
    n° 1 tappo di protezione della lente
    n° 1 dispositivo di mia creazione che impedisce alla camera di ribaltarsi in avanti per effetto dello sparo se non è ben serrata
    n° 1 manuale istruzioni
    n° 1 video di 11 minuti dove spiego come fare la modifica e come si esegue la messa a fuoco della nuova lente
    La spedizione è inclusa per tutta l'europa.

Per chi volesse avere info supplementari o sapere i costi può scrivere a filippobertocci@hotmail.it

Saluti
    Filippo Bertocci"
    http://www.youtube.com/v/ds5o_HHxb3Y

http://www.youtube.com/v/oifwBgFnw-I

• I can't comment on the quality of video because I haven't used the camera yet. Greekdiver has made some good observations, I hope he'll chime in later. IMO the Gopro hd hero2 Outdoor edition is the best package for diving/spearfishing. It includes the head strap mount which some guys have used successfully for diving, as well as flat and curved mounts which can be adapted for speargun mounts.

• So Pursuit is selling the package with the flat lens????

Have you tried the lens filters? If you look on my video you can see the prop wash but on some of the cameras I have a different more expensive camera that my client had and it had lens filters that took the prop wash out.

USS MIDWAY FLY OVER - YouTube

It would be nice to have the remote control for these things because it is a pain to turn them on right before the planes were taxing out to the runway. I was getting hit by oil while trying to turn all the cameras on. I had 8 going but not all of them had good footage because of the sun. It would have been nice to have the lens filter then I would have had a lot more footage. In some of the footage you can see that the sun takes up a lot of the footage. BTW I am not a pro as you can see by the video but I just do it for fun at work.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• Pursuit has been selling the flat lens and including it with the camera since the Gopro HD hero came on the market. Pursuit also sells different filters for underwater use. The one you're talking about is probably the polarized filter which eliminates glare. Since most of my customers buy the camera for underwater use where glare is not a problem, I didn't add the polarized filters to the store. I will reconsider it.

Are you the one flying the plane? What is your work?

• Pursuit has been selling the flat lens and including it with the camera since the Gopro HD hero came on the market. Pursuit also sells different filters for underwater use. The one you're talking about is probably the polarized filter which eliminates glare. Since most of my customers buy the camera for underwater use where glare is not a problem, I didn't add the polarized filters to the store. I will reconsider it.

Are you the one flying the plane? What is your work?

Well I mostly use them for underwater. I would like to get the filter for my flat lens. When I order the HERO2 I will snag it from you and add a filter for underwater. No need to go out of the way for me just to stock a polarized on. Sure I can find it somewhere else.

I am not the one flying those planes. I clean warbirds and private jets for work. Its fun for now.

BOBBERRYFISHCARVINGS.COM

• imo, the 90 fov in 720p with 60fps looks like the best option.

You don't want a big FOV because fish will look very small and far away. 90 FOV will look normal.

The 60fps will be nice and smooth when you are using it on your head and for slow mo

and 720p is a high enough res for clarity

This camera is of higher quality so the 720p might look better than previous model. That is just speculation though.

People are going crazy over the 120fps but that is poor resolution and not good for us.

• Ive been looking at some of the demo videos for the gopro2. I agree the 120fps mode isnt high-res enough to be worth it. The wide FOV also looks mostly useless but might work well for shooting shots of yourself underwater for some cool diving footage etc. One thing that I did notice was the major difference in low light shooting and white balance adjustment.

Gopro HD Hero 2 vs HD Hero comparison field of view - YouTube

This video shows how drastically different the two cameras are in low yellow tungsten lighting. You can see that the white balance in the gopro2 is completely different. I wonder how it will look in low blue lighting deep underwater. Both the hero and hero2 are listed as having "auto white balance" but it looks like the hero2 does a much better job of correction. Atleast away from low spectrum yellow lighting.

• Comes an interesting modification, see if adding some leds shooting back, sides interesting, although the curved lenses
    do not want to hear divers from around the world for its modification by flat lenses as an option.
    Look minute 1’35'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIpgI0CBPXM

• Maybe stupid question, but what is the current FOV on the standard GoPro HD?

Is there any vinietting w/ the flat lens on the 720 setting?

• I posted this on the other site.

I do not have one yet but I could guess pretty accurately. It is the wide FOV that gives you vignetting. Use the 720p 60fps 90 or 127 FOV. You shouldn't get vignetting. I think this is the best because 60fps is very noticeable when compared to 30fps. When you look left and right or even shoot the spear, everything will be so much smoother with 60fps.

1080 vs 720 is not that big of a difference especially underwater with these cameras. These cameras don't do well in lower light conditions (ie underwater) so 720p and 1080p is almost the same shit. It is not their fault that they dont do well in low light conditions. The smaller the lens, the less light can enter. I'm sure on the ski slope the 1080 vs 720 is much more noticeable.

30fps and 60fps is just a way bigger difference than 720/1080

Imo, 90 and 127 FOV is the best for our use. I will probably use 90 FOV. It is the most "real looking" FOV. You just dont see as much with that angle but what you see will show up very nice in the video. So you have to make sure you head cam or gun cam is centered properly.

On 50 inch plasma, the difference will be noticed but 720p will still look nice enough. On the web or your computer screen, it is not very noticeable.