Shaft Overhang

• I have a R.A. spare shaft and i want to improve a Riffe Euro with it. The problem here is the shaft is for a 130 gun, and the Riffe Euro is 120. Would it be any problems rigging the gun with that set up?

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I think dan was doing some reasearch some time ago on shaft overhang. he'll tell you , you might have to cut a piece of the shaft off. I heard him say that the perfect overhang is 12 inches. if i remember correctly.

• I have found that the Shaft Overhang is O.k. The downside or the Ra shaft is it has a recessed shooting line hole. That´s why it doesn´t fit the Riffe trigger mech. Not even with light shooting line. For freeshafting it will work ok. Maybe drilling a small hole a bit further on the shaft would do the trick.

• I think dan was doing some reasearch some time ago on shaft overhang. he'll tell you , you might have to cut a piece of the shaft off. I heard him say that the perfect overhang is 12 inches. if i remember correctly.

Sergio, for some strange reason, my best shots are within the 15+ shaft overhang. I don´t have a particular technique for aiming, just point and shoot, therefore the tip helps a bit to locate the target fast. I seldom have stone shots, so i guess i am a mediocre shot.

• Not getting stone shots doesn't mean your aim is mediocre. Maybe you're just not aiming for stone spot. I have a habit that is hard for me to break, I tend to shoot for center mass. So I almost never get stone shots unless for example it's a big unwary hog fish and I have all the time in the world. It is however definitely a turning point in one's confidence and hunting ability when you find yourself aiming to stone and and stoning fish. Still on some fish, like mackerels, you aim for center mass no matter what.

• Have fun drilling into that RA shaft. It ate one $12 carbide drill bit. The metal is very hard. If you have a drill press it would be better. Use a lot of oil.

• Not getting stone shots doesn't mean your aim is mediocre. Maybe you're just not aiming for stone spot. I have a habit that is hard for me to break, I tend to shoot for center mass. So I almost never get stone shots unless for example it's a big unwary hog fish and I have all the time in the world. It is however definitely a turning point in one's confidence and hunting ability when you find yourself aiming to stone and and stoning fish. Still on some fish, like mackerels, you aim for center mass no matter what.

That´s exactly what i do 99% of the time. I aim instinctively center mass, with some eventual (lucky) stone shots.

• Have fun drilling into that RA shaft. It ate one $12 carbide drill bit. The metal is very hard. If you have a drill press it would be better. Use a lot of oil.

I guess they get too much "aceradas". It would be a great feature to have a factory hole drilled in all RA shafts. I never liked the recessed hole rigging of must euro guns anyway.

• Ray Odor makes a 7mm spring steel shaft with double notches and a hole in front of the first notch.

This is the best shaft for a RA gun. No dog house so it fits through the closed muzzle, and you dont have to use

the pin hole( where mono attaches) at the end of the shaft which gets in the way when loading into trigger mechanism.

Also doesn't rust and stays looking pretty to take pictures staring at the horizon:D

btw,The double minifin shafts are a POS they eat through the dynema on the bands

• Ray Odor shafts are not straight plain and simple. If you don't know this it's because you haven't purchased more than the couple of shafts you got lucky with that were straight.

I agree, his quality is not to par, probably has to do with his age. He needs an apprentice or something.

Davie Peguero

• Here's my story with Ray Odor apart from a couple of other times I ordered from him which wasn't spears and turned out to be crap. I knew the rumor that his shafts are not straight and could certainly believe it based on other things I bought from him. Our correspondence was through email. Before I ordered I made sure to ask him what his policy is if the shafts are not straight, he said I can I return them for a refund. I went ahead and ordered 5 shafts. The price was certainly right, that was before I found my current supplier for spears.

The shafts arrived in a PVC tube. All 5 shafts were 7mm but he put floppers for an 8mm shaft on them. Therefore they didn't have the correct angle when opening. I took all the floppers off and sent them back to him for a small refund, I think they were $3 each.

After I sent away the floppers when I got to taking a close look at the shafts I realized that all 5 were bent. 3 were bent right at the back where the welding is and I was able to straighten the bends, it took me a while. 2 had a slow bend running right through and I couldn't straighten them.

The 3 that I straightened were also cut to wrong length, 3" longer than what I specified in our emails. This actually is how I found out that correct overhang solved my aim problem. I put one of Ray's non standard length shafts in the gun I built and started landing all my shots. Before that I used a standard length spear which had a 10" overhang on my gun. So really the whole mess was worthwhile to me because I found out the correct overhang to use which I otherwise might never have.

I kept two of the longer shafts for my custom gun and cut and reduced the third to standard size to fit my friend's C3. The remaining two shafts were impossible to straighten so I gave up on them. I emailed Ray and he argued that they were straight. I argued that they were not and reminded him that he promised to take them back in such a case. He reluctantly agreed and refunded my paypal payment after he received them from me.

The overall workmanship was not good. The distances of the doghouses from the pins were not consistent (this is not a big deal), some welding points were not deburred perfectly and I had to go over them with a file, and some flopper holes were not centered in the shaft.