Last Sunday nice pargos!

• No, I use it with a floatline and a home made float. Actually made by "Botes Caribe" a RIB manufacturer from Venezuela; tough, good and not too expensive. It is made with neoprene-hypalon Cilider shape material and has two stainless steel "D" rings and a good valve. Just what I need.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Jocú is for cubans, in Puerto Rico is pargo colorao'.

El guachinango es el que en Puerto Rico llamamos "Chillo" y en el resto del mundo "Pargo Rojo"

Pargo amargo? Te lo regalo!

Marco Melis

• In Cuba when somebody says pargo they are referring to a mutton snapper. Pargo can also be used to refer to other snapper species but in such cases it is followed by another name like this:

Mutton snapper = Pargo
    Dog snapper (Lutjanus Jocu) aka Yellow snapper = Pargo Jocu
    Schoolmaster = Pargo Caji
    Pargo amargo = My first user name on a spearfishing forum :good:

Again beautiful doggies Marco. I've yet to land my first one.

• Los pargos son amargos ya que matan muchos buzos ...Those are some murderous fishes around here, my compadre Sergio niño was hired to recover a sorry ass diver who was killed by a pargo "black out" in Las arenas, a lot of people has lost teir lives and their gear to the killer pargos ... One tough, hugly fish, my favorite to spear though. The Cabrillas are easier to land.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I thought that Mutton was Pargo Criollo in Cuba. Am I wrong?

I Venezuela, pargo means snapper, then you follow with the "last name" to identify which one it is.

Those are some bad ass. However, for me, the cuberas and the black groupers are much more difficult to get when they are in the mood.

Marco Melis

• You are right Marco. I just checked a book where I wrote down the Cuban names beside the English.

Mutton snapper = Pargo Criollo aka Pargo Sanjuanero
    Red snapper = Pargo Colorado aka Pargo del Alto aka Pargo Rojo

Still in Cuba when someone says "pargo" they mean mutton snapper. The rest of the snappers require the second word, to my knowledge.. The exceptions are:

Cubera snapper = Cubera
    Gray snapper = Caballerote aka Cubereta
    Lane snapper = Biajaiba
    Mahogany snapper = Ojonco
    Yellowtail snapper = Rabirubia

• mutton snaper-pargo de ley o pargo criollo tambien sanjuanero pero solo en el sanjuan que es a finales de junio.
    caballerote y cubereta son muy diferentes caballerote es uno de mis faboritos tambien se le llama caji cuando son mas pequenos .tienen unas lineas amarillas y se parecen al jocu.
    muy muy lindos los pargos marco,felicidades.

• Hey marco nice day of fishing. Thanks for answering my e-mail. i will be calling you soon. While at it say hi to Naranjo i know him from way back when he used to play Table tennis And we got him in the water. Really happy to see that he is doing good in the sport . like to see good spearos learn. i know you are taking care of him.Tell him Alvin send his regards. I was with him and rodolfo when we did the cast away in his brand new boat couple of years back. some funny ass story but i will keep that for myself:). getting new gear before i head back to PR to do some spearfishing. i really hope you have time to take me out. if not i will driving like crazy around the island to get some shore diving time.:thumbsup2:

• Naranjo has learned a lot. I'll tell him about you.

I've heard both sides of that story and they are way differnt.... Maybe you have a more "neutral" version... :rolleyes1:

Marco Melis

• hmmm more neutral. well. i was kind of the last to jump out of the boat trying save it. But i forgot to collect my belongings to secure them.. so i lost 70% of my gear. plus a king mackarel that was huge. (personal record for me). but with the camera drowned the nice pictures were spoiled:blowup:. I can tell you about that story some day that will take some really long typing. Just glad we end up safe after all of that.