Boat running over float line

• dan because i was kind of been towed cuz the gun was atached to the floatline and i had to cut the line ina. matter of seconds on those situations its better to let go
    life go first

• I've had it happen about three times. Once, it was a small sabbat (sp) sailboat, with some boy scouts on board. It ripped the gun from my hands, and caught the flopper on my hand. Luckily, it only left a small cut. But when the gun got wrapped up in the kelp, it capsized their boat. I swam over to make sure they were ok, and they were, no harm to my float line, and I retrieved all my gear. The other two times were by a power boat, and luckily, the float line just wrapped around the front of the outboard, and missed getting cut by the prop by about 1/2". Retrieved all my gear again. I had a buddy whose line, gun and float were all taken by a boat, and were never seen again. About $2500 worth of gear. He was less than pleased.

• Okay-- Looking to buy a Float Line--- Did I read where someone said Riffe Float Lines SINK? If that is the case-- they are out of the running... Does anyone know for sure?

I am in between these Final Two Float Lines for Medium/Big Fish=
    1) 100' Neptonics float line (RED)
    2) 100' Riffe float line
    3) 100' OMER float line

Thanks...

Thomas

• I didn't read the thread to see if I already stated my opinion on this, I know I've done so many other times. Don't waste your money on any of those lines, get a simple polypropelene line, it's cheap, it floats, is strong enough for anything you'll encounter, and you can choose a diameter that you're most comfortable with. Unlike tube style "sink" lines it can be easily spooled and managed.

• I didn't read the thread to see if I already stated my opinion on this, I know I've done so many other times. Don't waste your money on any of those lines, get a simple polypropelene line, it's cheap, it floats, is strong enough for anything you'll encounter, and you can choose a diameter that you're most comfortable with. Unlike tube style "sink" lines it can be easily spooled and managed.

Amen to that. Rather than have all that hardware involved with the vinyl ones too ( big spearfishing manufacturers have made a mint fooling people into thinking those lines improve performance in the water n blah blah blah :boring1:) You can easily splice loops into each end and add a longline clip, swivels, whatever you want. You can find 50 ft lengths at walmart for less then 10 dollars, and even loop them together to make a longer line.

I had 1 vinyl floatline and hated it, it sank as soon as i got in the water with it. Waste of money.

Me and nate also own one of the RA floatlines. it WAS a 100 ft til he had his brush with death.. and i sold my 80 ft to Ben choi..... great lines, cheap and easy to hold onto, and STRONG.

• So-- what about all of this hype about Lines Snapping and loosing $100 Breakaway Tips?? I thought the whole Spectra thing was the solution to everyone loosing Spears + Tips from Large Pelagic Fish and some heavy-duty Grouper?? From what you all are saying is this is nothing but a 'sham' and a marketing ploy... Am I understanding correctly?

• @ Dan... Good clarification... I'd like some opinions for the following=

* Float Line for Pole Spear=
    * Slip-Tip Line for Complete Breakaway systems for Pole Spears (not just brand--but how long should it be before connecting to Float Line?)=

I did exactly this and got 50' for less than $5

• You mean less than $5 for the line only, right? Surely that amount doesn't include cost of the end clips and swivels. Does it?

Line only. but i found a deal on longline clips WITH swivels at basspro, 2 for less then 5 dollars. can make a float line for 10 bucks.

• Line only. but i found a deal on longline clips WITH swivels at basspro, 2 for less then 5 dollars. can make a float line for 10 bucks.

Very good!

BTW, I prefer twisted poly rope over hollow-braid for a float line. Hollow-braid is certainly simpler to splice, and is fine for bluewater unless near structure. But, my experience is twisted poly doesn't snag as quickly on structure or reef and therefore last longer. Plus it gives me a chance to practice my splicing skills - which look rather professional when I hide my flaws with heat shrink!

• Although we don't use floats very often, the system we use locally also works well with a float. We tie a 7-8' dyneema leader onto the spear and then tie that to a nylon cord of 5/32" diameter (and of 15-20' greater length than the depth we are diving). I have 75, 100, 125' lengths depending on where we're diving. Nylon rope works great because it's strong, non-stretch, and it sinks (thus staying away from propellers).

We start near the dyneema and coil the rope around one hand until it is completely coiled. The last two loops are uncoiled and the rope is squeezed to tighten it up. The excess rope is used for two overhand knots on each end, forming two "heads"; the end attached to the dyneema and the spear feeds out of the middle. The coil can either be tucked into the weight belt and used without a buoy or the end can be attached to a buoy. Once the spear is loaded you pull out enough rope for a double wrap; this loosens up the coil a little, ensuring that is smoothly feeds out. So, the buoy stays near the diver (and away from the boat) until he dives; the coil automatically pays out as the diver descends.

The gun is out of the system once the spear is fired. What you are left with is the spear (and fish) connected to the buoy. Once the fish is landed, the rope sinks (staying away from the propellers) until it is pulled back into the boat and recoiled. It only takes minutes to recoil the line and reload the gun. This system can also be reset while in the water, so it works for shoredivers too. Either way, the buoy stays near the diver until he descends.

Since this is a breakaway setup, we normally have three spears ready to go with lines attached. They can be quickly loaded into the gun for a second shot or schooling fish.

• Let me see what I can come up with, maybe some photos. It is very simple and you can put a lot of fish on the boat - fast - with the setup. Learned it from some spearos who've been doing this for more than 35 years.