What´s your favorite working dog

• Is that the preferred way? I think the quarry be it bear or cat will know anyways that the dogs are after it so I don't know if there's an advantage to being quiet. However being vocal always lets the hunter know where the dogs are. Maybe they save energy and can work longer if they don't bark? Regardless I understand the dog's psychology if it only barks in the end. First it's focused and working then when it's so close and can't get the animal the dog gets frustrated and vocalizes.

• Back in the day I had a Bluetick by the name of Cannonball. I could tell what was going on in his chase by listening to the way he was 'talkin'. Funny how we remember some things. That was 35yrs ago and I still remember his name and can hear him talkin in my mind.

• It depends on the hunter,Dan. When I ran coyotes with hounds, part of the excitement for me was listening to the pursuit and discerning what was happening by the sound of the dogs. Those memorys will last with me long into the days when I can no longer hunt due to old age. That music.

However, some bear hunters ,for whatever reason , have silent dogs and track them by radio collars. And they prefer them that way. Dunno.

Most Airedales that are used for coyote hunting are used as 'tollers' ie. decoy dogs. They trot out , and back and forth ; keeping the coyote engaged and interested . They then act as a sort of retriever after the shot and recover the coyote in the event it makes a run after being shot. Coyotes ,like most predators, leave a very scant blood trail due to their blood-absorbing coats.

Tolling dogs are even used for waterfowl. The Nova Scotia Duck Toller for example. It's a very rare almost collie looking dog. Dog runs out and creates movement among the decoys and along the shoreline enticing the birds.

• Back in the day I had a Bluetick by the name of Cannonball. I could tell what was going on in his chase by listening to the way he was 'talkin'. Funny how we remember some things. That was 35yrs ago and I still remember his name and can hear him talkin in my mind.

Nothing like it is there ? :thumbsup2: Never forget those cold Ozark winter mornings and hearing those hounds bay up as they hit a hot trail. That sound would echo through those mountains. Gives me chills just thinking back to it.

• Nothing like it is there ? :thumbsup2: Never forget those cold Ozark winter mornings and hearing those hounds bay up as they hit a hot trail. That sound would echo through those mountains. Gives me chills just thinking back to it.

Man, that image is as nostalgic and beautiful as it gets!!

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver