My second flattie with 6 foot viz.

• Had a great dive with Bamz today. Water was 61 degrees and there was all kind of life in the water. Saw a few short WSB a school of Barracuda and a seal. I then managed a 26 inch halibut after scaring him off 3 times. Good diving with you Scott looking forward to doing it again.

• Wow you spooked him three times and still got him! I bet that felt good.
    congrats, I need to get one soon. My last dive my buddy out shot me 3-0.... I didn't even see a legal.

• How are you going to cook it? I tried cleaning one with skin on for a change and baking it with lime, and seasonings... came out ok but not great. I prefer them filet ...

• I actually had it as sahimi but I prefer WSB for sashimi. I also made it very simply I put salt pepper and cooked it with olive oil. It tasted great. I also am making ceviche but I was looking at wrapping the fish with spinich and lettuce and seasoning it with lemon garlic, salt, pepper and some herbs and then baking it. I have macadamia encrusted it and thats really tasty too.

• I'm going fishing in a couple hours for Rockfish in VA
    Heres my spot.
    [url=http://maps.google.com/maps?q=occoquan&ll=38.686896,-77.264514&spn=0.000852,0.001286&client=safari&oe=UTF-8&hnear=Occoquan,+Prince+William,+Virginia&gl=us&t=w&z=20]occoquan - Google Maps[/url]

Good luck and post up a report. :)

• Ok dude, back to minimizing tear offs....

No reason for a shot right there on a halibut dude. TAKE YOUR TIME and shoot where it counts. You're very lucky to have landed that fish. I say this only to help, not to be a dick. There's entire pages on your thread about tearing fish off saying to take better shots.

Over seabass hunting....

• freediver
    No offense taken. I took the shot that was available to me. The visibility was bad and I couldn't see it till I was on top of it, hence spooking it 3 times. Last halibut I shot was in the head. This shot wasn't pretty but not every shot is. The fish don't die if you don't pull the trigger either. I'm glad that I am eating fresh halibut and thankful the shaft held. Maybe you could also elaborate on where to take a shot on a halibut I was hoping for center mass near the head . I hit to the left and low hitting the top part of the gut. I then cut the gut open to remove it from my shooting line as my shaft was tangled in the rocks leaving my gun about 8 feet underwater.

Dan
    Thanks. I was definitely anxious as I knew I didn't have much time to place the shot based on the fishes previous activity.

• ladvr
    That could be possible. I assumed it was the same one since I followed the direction it went and most of the area was reef so I was mainly looking for sandy patches in between the reef in the direction the fish took off into. I continued looking around for more but didn't see any.

• Maybe you could also elaborate on where to take a shot on a halibut I was hoping for center mass near the head .

It sounds like you were aiming in the correct area. The base of the pectoral fin is where I and everyone I know aims. It is a trade off between center of mass shot and a paralyzing shot and minimizes the loss of meat.

Also, if you can shoot the fish from the front with your shaft at a ~45 degree angle, it will often swim up your shaft. This helps the flopper deploy.

A good shot on a halibut-

Skip to 1:00 in this video and you'll see how often when aiming for that pectoral fin you'll hit the spine. Skip to 1:40 and you'll see what I mean by shooting from a 45 degree angle so the fish swims up your shaft. Sorry about the three foot vis!

Spearfishing Halibut in Northern California - YouTube

BTW, nice fish!

• Basically what Kirby said. Right behind the pectoral fin is the best spot IMO. Take careful aim though because if you pull the shot to the left or right your chances of gut shooting the fish are pretty good and then losing the fish is more of an option. Here is a good example of it.

How To Shoot a Halibut - YouTube

Over seabass hunting....