Miami dade beach conditions

• hahaha, you said it Dan...Hau's text to me made me laugh in court this morning... I was giving him props for the good hunting and he was like I have to go run 16 miles and bike 22!!!

i am 30 and look like the pillsbury doughboy next to Hau

i like to spear fish

• Dan--thanks for the kind words sir:toast:
    LunkerBuster--thanks for posting the picture sir. I can always count on u to take the time and effort to post my pictures:thumbsup2:
    Nate- thanks Nate :thumbsup2:
    This new area I'm spearin in reminds me of back home in the Keys, it is a 40min yak paddle to get out to 35fsw :(

Water was flat/flat this morning for my 1 mile triathlon practice swim, hope others got out enjoy today's conditions

• Yesterday off sobe on the paddleboard, no diving, went out about half mile. Could clearly see bottom the whole way. No waves. Wished I would have had a mask.
    Gonna try a few potential lobster spots today in the same area.

i like to spear fish

• Dove the fowey area yesterday, lots of small bugs, no fish, viz was 30-40ft

Yeah dove fowey also saturday, viz was good but not many fish either :(
    Originally went to dive off key biscayne, but viz was very milk in 40ft, had to run south.

• One noteworthy thing about yesterday's diving. We were drifting the reef, depth about 50ft. I saw movement and dove down. Turned out to be 4 good size remoras following two big eagle rays. What got my attention was that the rays were more active than usual, moving about erratically. I surfaced and continued to drift, thinking that because of the significant current I will never see them again.

About 50 yards further I saw the same activity below me, only now the rays were rising up in the water column. The last 30ft one ray rushed straight up at me, it's mouth was open, and the remoras were scrambling to keep pace. For an instant I thought it was going to hit me and my body braced for impact. It happened too fast to consider options, but for a fleeting moment the thought of pointing the gun at the ray didn't seem right. At the moment I thought the ray would connect it disappeared with a boom not unlike a big grouper escaping, but felt more as a percussion in the body than a sound. I never saw the ray again.

A little later when I was near the boat Sergio asked me if I saw the ray. He said it breached right over me. That part I never saw because I was looking down. Another 100 yards further I ran into the 4 remoras again. They were keeping pace with a large sea turtle, which BTW I saw a few of. It then occurred to me that the reason for the ray's erratic behavior was to ditch the remoras. I find that interesting.

Later I saw more remoras resting on the bottom. What's up with all the remoras? They were good sized and I imagined would need a good size ride. Obviously they didn't come with the rays cause the rays didn't want them around. So what did they come with? Sergio told me he's been seeing an unusual number of sharks in the area, and also that their behavior is more cheeky than usual.

• it was a nice and unusual viw when i saw that sting ray fly over you. really cool . there was another boat close by and they saw it too. i wish i had a camara in that moment.

• the combination of bad viz and strong current is a killer. i hate it so much. specially when i have the so fresh memories of diving in my island. cristal clear water and almost no current all day every day.

• On the topic of weird stuff, has anyone noticed thousands of glow in the dark things floating after sunset? I saw them this weekend and last also, the fishing always turns completely off when they show up

• Maybe you guys are talking about bioluminescent dinoflagellates? You can make glowing snow angels by swirling around them at night. Lots of fun for the kids, there's a few images of people doing it on the web if you search bioluminescent dinoflagellates

• I looked that up and that's not it, these glow green and have some type of form to them since you can visible see them swimming around and squirting bioluminescent jizz around, when I put a spotlight on them I can't see them.

• Late report for: 8-14-12__#31-2012kb2
    East of KB today
    begin at 9am--end at 2pm
    wind 10mph from SE-----wind SE at 8mph
    current zero ---S to N at 1 1/2mph
    viz 35f in 35fsw---30f in 30fsw
    seas less than 2-3f-----same
    air temp 85F 15% clouds--92F 20% clouds overhead
    Water temp 87F

Today was a little windy but nice.
    I paddled for 1 hour non stop to get to 35fsw and dropped anchor onto what charts said was reef. I geared up and jumped in and saw nothing but sand for 2 hours of swimming towing the yak
    Climbed back on and tried another spot, saw a nice 3 1/2f eagle ray, got one mac and saw nothing else all day.
    Also saw bout 6 pink moon jellies:(