Exuma 7/26-7/30/12

• awesome hog frrekey

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry

• Those are some nice fish. Do the hog fish have a large cheek muscle? I would imagine they would be large with such a long mouth and tasty.

• Thanks guys! Just got back from 2 days in Islamorada. Got some nice gags and a mangrove.
    Yes, I finally used a line on the sling for the first time on that trip. I spent hours drilling that spearshaft a couple weeks before the trip, then I almost didn't bring it since I only tested it in my pool. All I can say is it sucks. Don't anyone try it:D
    As far as the cheek muscle, the locals were fighting over the head so I imagine that size Hogfish head has quite a bit of meat on it.
    Regarding that particular dive, the Aeris divewatch I got from Dan indicated 53ft with total dive time 1:15 sec. I was drifting with the boat, spotted it and told Loretta to drop the anchor. It was moving slowly from my right to left. I came straight down on him. He layed sideways to look at me then straightened up and started to accelerate away from me. The shaft entered behind his left eye and exited his right jaw. He started to bolt but I gave one quick kick and grabbed the shaft, bear hugged him and made and easy ascent.... and asked Loretta to get the camera:cool2:

• I hammered a fence staple into the end of an old sling handle and attached my Rob Allen shock cord to it which you see in the pic w/the grouper. In Islamorada I was using the Rob Allen some so I just used a piece of dacron line with a snap swivel. You really don't need the shock cord but I prefer it. I used 2x spear length for line length which seemed to work. Every once in a while the line wrapped around my left heel. The line never snagged bottom or tangled me in a way to impede my ascent. One time in Islamorada yesterday I shot at a mutton and the line was wrapped around my right shoulder. It stopped the spear way short of the target but didn't hurt my arm at all. I love the purity of freediving w/plain hawaiin sling but the benefits of the line impressed me and I will probably continue to use it.

• Looks nice

Where did you drill out the hole?

Dan did this, I remember, and he drilled it right at the draw length. Dan can you post your shaft. Heh heh heh

i like to spear fish

• Thanks Nat,
    Flew in and rented.

Cool. Don't know if you know Sean F. on the Grace, but he spends a month or so every summer down there. I hope to run the boat down there next year and fly my wife and kids in, we'll see. I was looking at the July 4 holiday time, but the larger cottages are booked.