Spearing/Fishing trips from the past month

• Well its been a very interesting and fun month back in the good ol’ US of A. I was able to come back for about 5 weeks on summer break from med school. This is a report of the majority of my fishing/spearing trips during these few weeks:
    I came home to Clearwater FL about a week after Tropical Storm Debby churned up all the water and made the viz as clear as a glass of chocolate milk. I was eager to get into the water, but due to the bad viz had to resort to fishing for a few weeks while we waited for the water to clear up.
    My first trip out was with Tony Sellers, Don Ross, and Frank Carr to the Middle Grounds for the last day of ARS season. We met at the ramp at midnight and started out long trek to the West end of the Grounds (90mi). Tony drove the boat out while we all slept comfortably on the beanbags. We got to the grounds and Tony went up to the bow to catch a few hours of sleep before the sun came up. Lucky for us, we were ready to go because of all the rest we had gotten on the way out. Pretty soon we had Red Grouper, beeliners, and gags coming over the rail. As the sun came up, the ARS bite cranked up and we had all we could handle with triple and quad hookups. We quickly filled the box with our limit of 15-20lb ARS.
    Don had the biggest ARS with this big boy.

As we were getting to the end of our limits, Don got hit by this AJ and it blew up his reel (literally broke the reverse on it) and I had the fun task of hand lining in this 60lb AJ from 140ft.

We finished up the day at some ledges in 110’where Frank got this big hog and a few other fish.

Final tally for the day.

I was also fortunate to get out with Brian Hasson and crew for a nearshore hook and line trip. We ended up with a pretty good box of fish for the day.

I also did a couple trips up to Homosassa with my buddy Capt. Steve Betz to get some scallops. Both trips were very successful with us getting our limit within an hour or two.

Later on, I was finally able to get out with Nolan Sadorf and Don Ross for some nearshore spearing where we got run off one of the artificial reefs by a 9ft tiger shark after Nolan popped a couple gags in the sand. We then ran into about 40’ and got some hogs and more gags.
    Don got his first hogfish, and was damn proud of it! I think we started him off a little spoiled!

Final tally for the day with a monster mango from Nolan

Tony Sellers , Frank Carr, and I were able to get out for another AJ trip to the Springs. Some big boy AJ’s come up with these guys doing work on them without powerheads. We were blessed with amazingly flat seas and amazing viz.

I also managed to get this guy freediving. He tombstoned my float line and put up a great fight! Somehow, I can’t seem to stone these guys lol.

I was able to get out a couple times in my last week in The States freediving with Don Ross and we managed a decent bag of gags, hog, and snapper

One last trip freediving with Will Bridges. It was his first time diving the Gulf since he moved to the area from the Keys. I’d say he did pretty well!

Thanks to everyone who took me out on their boat and let me shoot their fish! It was a great month back! Good times and great people. I’m now back in Grenada for another term of med school and will go back to lurking on the boards. See you guys in December!
    Ben

Edited once, last by Guest ().

• Great times Ben. Summers off during med school were awesome, and you're last ones ever!!

Was the MG hog hook and lined? It's too bad you didn't bring tanks to the grounds, diving there is the best.

C

• Nice report. Can't you spearfish in Grenada?

I can, but its hard to find time between studying. Also, the waters near shore(shallow enough to freedive) are mostly all fished out where I am. You have to strap on tanks and go over 100' if you want to shoot any fish. Also getting some of the locals to take you out is hard because they guard their spots very well as it is their livelihood.

• Great times Ben. Summers off during med school were awesome, and you're last ones ever!!

Was the MG hog hook and lined? It's too bad you didn't bring tanks to the grounds, diving there is the best.

C

Oh we brought tanks to the grounds lol. The hog was speared on tanks by Frank in about 110.

• Ben I will be in Grenada tomorrow and my cousin is taking me out free diving on Sunday up to our Grenadines, around sisters I expect or if water is flat might even go crazy to reindeer shoals (that can be crazy, lost 2 friends out there)
    So if your in I will call you tomorrow and organize for Sunday with you, if you want and can organize the gear I will burn a tank with you on a deep sea mount if not no worries as no one else going scuba dives :)
    I will show you some reefs off Point Sailines but you will have to go down 60 in stiff current to get to them...
    Hope to see ya Sunday bro :cool2:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Ben I will be in Grenada tomorrow and my cousin is taking me out free diving on Sunday up to our Grenadines, around sisters I expect or if water is flat might even go crazy to reindeer shoals (that can be crazy, lost 2 friends out there)
    So if your in I will call you tomorrow and organize for Sunday with you, if you want and can organize the gear I will burn a tank with you on a deep sea mount if not no worries as no one else going scuba dives :)
    I will show you some reefs off Point Sailines but you will have to go down 60 in stiff current to get to them...
    Hope to see ya Sunday bro :cool2:

There you go!

Now you won't be back in Florida for more spearfishing. I'm sure there are VERY good spots over there. ;)

About going out with the locals, I'm sure that if you give them all your catch, you will be invited oftenly. It has happened to me.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.