Hardline's Dive Reports

• Dont feel like doing a whole long report but got out Last Saturday with Shawn and Mark and swam out to the second reef line without much luck. I shot one average size schoolmaster in hazy viz an then decided that we should start heading in since the water was a bit chilly and Shawn had to get his yak from the lifeguards before they closed up shop.

On the way back in maybe 150-200 yards right off the beach, Shawn shoots a huge Bluefish and we thought it was an Amberjack until we looked it up lol. Of course walking on the beach with that size fish makes you an insta-celebrity.

Here's some shots from the day and me holding Shawn's catch.

Then yesterday I went out next to my house because I was off and didnnt see much action until I was on my way back in. A school of those Bluefish came up fast on me and I got one and then I sat around a picked off a few of the Macks that were cruising by.

And I got a cool little clip of this turtle.
    Blackout - YouTube

• I have the fillets ready to be cooked tomorrow so I'll let you know. My first time seeing them and trying them...

Dude, bleed and gut them and eat the same day and dont freeze. Theyre oily bloody and mushy. Ive eaten a few in my time since we used to catch them up in NJ like crazy. Watch their teeth too, I watched one guy lose the tip of his finger to one on a commercial boat i used to work on. Theyd probably be great for fishdip since they have such a strong flavor.

Heres some biguns from up north, rod n reel though -

• Awesome Frank. Really enjoyed the turtle clips editing and epicness. So much underwater video is edited like a documentary from 1985 (including mine) that its cool to see drama and suspense. And as always thanks for the awesome pic of me lol. I need to take more gpro pics for sure.

Saturday was a good time despite never shooting my gun. I saw lots of very decent but way too spooky schoolmasters and dogs. Lots of april groupers, lots of borderline grovers/schoolmasters and 12" hogs. Nothing to connect to my spear to but it was nice to get out.

We tried to launch a yak where it wasn't allowed. The lifeguards stopped us but they were very cool and friendly to us about spearfishing and launching from the crowded beach. Just not a kayak. They even watched Shawns kayak under their tower while we dove so we didn't have to drag it back to the car until after. It seemed like they almost wanted to let us go but couldn't because 400 people were watching. They also said we could before they arrive at 9. So props to Hollywood lifeguards for being cool dudes.

Edited 2 times, last by Reefchief ().

• Awesome Frank. Really enjoyed the turtle clips editing and epicness. So much underwater video is edited like a documentary from 1985 (including mine) that its cool to see drama and suspense. And as always thanks for the awesome pic of me lol. I need to take more gpro pics for sure.

Saturday was a good time despite never shooting my gun. I saw lots of very decent but way too spooky schoolmasters and dogs. Lots of april groupers, lots of borderline grovers/schoolmasters and 12" hogs. Nothing to connect to my spear to but it was nice to get out.

We tried to launch a yak where it wasn't allowed. The lifeguards stopped us but they were very cool and friendly to us about spearfishing and launching from the crowded beach. Just not a kayak. They even watched Shawns kayak under their tower while we dove so we didn't have to drag it back to the car until after. It seemed like they almost wanted to let us go but couldn't because 400 people were watching. They also said we could before they arrive at 9. So props to Hollywood lifeguards for being cool dudes.

Wow looking at the pic I just realized exactly where u went out of. Props for switching it up

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Wow looking at the pic I just realized exactly where u went out of. Props for switching it up

Weve been beachdiving off of there for a while but this is the first time someone tried bringing a yak. I like the area and there are some nice spots but the closest yak launches are pretty far in each direction.

I have a ton of ideas for a speardiving video. I just need to get out there with yall and shoot.

• A good buddy that I've known forever let me use his house down in Key Largo for the weekend to do some diving, drinking and other shenanigans. His house sits on a canal that leads right out to the Atlantic side. Since a lot of the area around there is protected and I am not familiar with the regs, I opted to trade my speargun for my GoPro.

First afternoon I got there, a friend and I took out the double seater kayak and paddled out into the ocean. Didn't head too far out since it was late afternoon but I was itching to get in the water. After messing around for an hour in and out of the kayak, I spotted a fairly large bull shark come in a little too close for comfort and then dart back off into the murk. When I started swimming back calmly to the kayak, my friend could see something was up and asked me what I saw. I told her I saw a bull shark and I needed to get back in the kayak. As I got in, I flipped the damn thing with her on it and we both went splashing into the water. I was kinda laughing and she was scared for a minute but we laughed the whole thing off afterwards. A good little adrenaline rush.

Afterwards we heading to a little bar/restaurant right on the water for some fresh bahamian grouper and beer.

The next morning we decided to go out on one of the local dive boats and then do some kayaking again afterwards.
    Made it to the first reef by 0930 and saw tons of muttons, hogs, dog snappers, mangrove snappers, small barracudas, tree trunk cudas and one black grouper. Of course I couldn't catch any of them :(

Visibility was terrible....

Some of the marine life

Some dolphins were creeping in the murk :)

All I can say about the dolphins is that they are truly incredible creatures that words cannot describe. Their clicks and whistles are still stuck in my head.

• Really cool video. I love watchin hogs be hogs. I could do it all day, and the rocky shoreline at the end was rad. I saved that song to use a while ago, its a good choice.

thanks for putting that together

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Thoroughly enjoyed that it was so mellow and the editing and B&W choice was wayyyyyy cool man. You really own that GoPro. What was the structure the dolphins were hanging around? You are lucky that curious male did not grab your camera and take off with it...lol...

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele