Frickin' Jake.. spearfishing Belize

• Jake hadn't been in the water for…more than 2 or….3? months. I dropped him on one of our favourite spots and in less than 20 minutes he had the smaller black and the cubera.
    I was lollygagging around chumming with a jack I'd shot and two fairly large bulls showed up so we packed up and headed north.

So at the next spot, we jump in and Jake and I were looking at the anchor and I thought he was breathing up to go check and set it. He slowly drops down but angled more to the wall…..at about 40 feet I see him extending his gun…..I didn't see anything….and THWACK !!….he nails the bigger grouper. WHAT A PRICK !! :laughing:
    It was a lot of fun. Mo got a nice hog and a grouper. I got the smaller dog. I took it off the shaft and handed it to Jake on the boat. As I swam away I hear "SHIT !!". He dropped it and I see it weakly swimming down…..right at a BIG nurse shark. I lost site of the fish as I reloaded but saw it about 5 minutes later. Weak but still able to swim a bit. Had to shoot it again.
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]

Edited once, last by hank ().

• Wow nice tasty groupers!

Hank - hold your snapper out at arms length or se a pole to make it look bigger :laughing3:

I hate your life style :laughing:

• Went out with Doc, Duquesnay, Mo, Tino Jake and Doc's friend. Crowded boat.

We stopped at a shallow spot inside and Tino got a nice mutton and we all got a few school masters.

Then we went to a spot I've had on my GPS for about 8 years, given to me by my late friend Paul. I'd passed over it once but the vis was bad and I didn't stop. it's basically a hole in the sea floor. Not sure how big of a cave it is.

Anyway, we pulled up right on top and dropped the anchor…..lucky it didn't go into the hole….and right then I could see a sand patch and I saw a big fish….snapper or grouper…pass right under us. Tino jumps in and says he saw a big cubera, goes down and shot one. Nice.
    Jake goes down and comes up with a 10 lb black grouper. Then Doc yells, "Ii found the hole". So I dive down and there it is….whoooaaaa. It kind of felt like I was getting sucked into it….eerie….and it was cold. So I stopped on top of a big rock next to it and a black appears in front of me. I start to aim and it moved behind a rock. I look up and there are 5 cuberas right in front of me. So I got one.
    I go up and tell Jake, "there's more". Before I even got to the boat, only about 30 feet away, Jake pops up and says, "you mean like this one"?….with a big smile on his face. Unreal. Jake did another dive and saw a HUGE cobia. It spooked and went into the hole. I want to get a light and see what's in there with Scuba gear. Who knows? Maybe huge grouper or cuberas? Hard to free dive and get fish out of there though.

We went outside and got three nice barracuda, a couple hogfish and some more schoolmasters. Tino got a big blue jack.

Then when we came home…..this is great….we were unloading the boat at Doc's house (we used his boat). DuQuesnay, who isn't one to give up on old clothes…..was walking with his basket and old baggy shorts on…..with no brief…..and his shorts dropped to his ankles. And there was this Spanish lady standing right in front of him. I saw his bare ass so I KNOW what she saw from the front. I was cracking up and told Andre, "Damn Andre…..at least ask her out on a date first…..". haha. What a day. Sorry for the bad pics. It was pretty dark when we got home.
    The cooler pic is about half the fish we got.
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]

Edited 2 times, last by hank ().

• Very nice birthday present Hank :thumbsup2:

Now stop it - geez. :cool2:

Who got hungry and ate a slab of sashimi from the Cubera in the ice chest before getting home?

• Oscar, that was a bad…..or lucky shot? :D. The fish turned right as I shot and the shaft went in and out the same side, tearing the skin as it tried to get off the shaft. I got down and bear hugged the fish.

• Belizean diving.....

Coming home on Doc's boat, we had to change over fuel tanks. 5 miles off Dangriga. We change tanks and after about 30 seconds I was wondering what the smoke was and what that smell was. In about two seconds I found out. Diesel. :laughing:

The Yamaha 85 quits. We change to another fuel tank but it wouldn't start. Worried about running the battery down we mount his back up Yamaha four stroke 8 hp. It had been lying on the deck bouncing around all day. AND, it's not manual start. An 8 hp with electric start? Anyway, it had wires hanging off it and Doc thought we just had to touch the two of them after we hooked the other two to the battery. Nothing.....

About then another boat comes along and we hooked up to them. We decided to keep trying the 85 and finally it coughed, sputtered and blew out a shitload of smoke and started.

What a day. DuQuesnay was laughing ....in between advising everyone on how to start outboards, how to fix a sore back, the weather or anything else he could think of to talk about....:laughing:

We made it in right about dark. No pictures but I got a nice Cubera at Shark's Hole again. Got a nice dog, a school master and a 4 lb or so mangrove snapper. I saw a huge school of big ones that were in spawning mode. Had a shot on permit and midnight parrots but they're illegal here.

I had fun just diving. Warm water, weighted just right. I was getting 1'45" laying on the bottom. Now I just have to get Marco to show me how to do those 110 foot dives.....:)