How do you travel with your speardiving gear?

• I have a trip booked to Hawaii and I'm planning on taking my spearfishing gear. How do you pack your spearguns and dive fins and luggage with minimal fees?

• Guns in a PVC or ABS pipe.
    Long blade fins are the problem. Luckily I have an old travel golf bag that zips closed that they fit into. I put all my other stuff in there too but you'll still have to pay for one extra bag with the tube.

• I'm looking right at my sport tube 3, which I'm packing for a flight to Guam tomorrow. I also have a sport tube 2, which is my normal travel container. My wife got me the 3, opened it this morning. The 3 doesn't stretch as long, but is more cavernous.

PVC tube is viable, but eats up the weight limit real fast. The sport tube is one of my best purchases for diving.

• Wow thanks for the info. I have a bazooka fishing rod case that I might use if my gun will fit. I will look into the sport tube 3.

• Phil, I just realized that I have almost the same backpack and never used those straps like that. I'm now stoked! I just packed my sportube 3 and things all fit. The only benefit with the sport tube 2 is that it stretches to 83 inches. The 3 can only handle 72 inches, coincidentally the same length of my longest shaft. If you have long guns, greater than 63" or a (160cm LOA) railgun, the shaft will barely fit the 3.

• Phil, what are all those colored splotches on the floor?

pigmented epoxy , its the result of years of glassing surfboards , kelp carrots , tuna floats and spearguns . every 6-7 years i have to grind the floor flat
    phil

• OK. So I bought a sportube 3 and am prepping for my latest trip. Do you guys put your shafts in a PVC pipe inside the sportube since they are the longest item? Thanks again. :)

• I stick everything in my surfboard bag with my boards. I have had problems in Miami with carrying on longfins. I hate that airport.

• I have used vynil rain gutters in the past, lighter than pvc and better than cardboard, the corrugated rectangular shape is nice. Long blades are also tough. I also refer to contents as fishing equipment. Good luck be shure to report back!

• I took my fins apart and put them in my suitcase no problem. Total measurement on luggage is 62 inches LxWxH at least it was for the Phillipines. I didn't take my guns on this last trip.

• Snowboard bag. Funny to think not all divers have one.:D

"Whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools. So, I didn't mean to say it, but I meant what I said."
    -James McMurtry

• Some airlines ask you to show them the sports equiptement (golf clubs, etc) if you use luggage for that sport, because they charge you more if you stick anything else inside (united airlines off the top of my head). Many airlines list what is allowed in the bag and if you have anything else they charge you as oversized luggage which is considerably more than you would have been charged (if at all).

However, they all define acceptable checked luggage as being no bigger than 158cm linear (h+w+d). If you travel with a short speargun (75cm) and travel light (stick everything acceptable in your carryon luggage) you can get a sportube series 1 or 2 (and shorten it) to use as your only checked (free) luggage. A series 1 can be set to 127.2cm and thus accept a 120cm spear or maybe even a 130cm spear in diagonal. A series 2 can be shortened to 114.2cm and be in the acceptable size with a 115cm spear in diagonal.

If you stick the spear in diagonal you can make it even shorter, use this formula to calculate the minimum length/height needed to fit your spear and then use that to see if it fits in the authorized size : l = sqrt(s²-(w²+d²)), where l is the max possible height/lenght of the luggage, s is the spear length (longest item), w is the width and d is the depth. I hope this makes sense and helps someone :).

BTW when you shorten a sportube you loose the straps inside, not a big loss. The series 3 is too large in theorie, it can barely accept a 115cm spear in diagonal at it's smallest size and it is still too big (163.8cm), if you have a 110cm spear you can shorten it to 101.7 and you would be at 158.5cm which should slide if they measure.