contaminated fish fillets

• i caught a snapper and barracuda today. as always i feed both of my cats with the filleting left overs which there very grateful for :laughing:. so after everything has been filleted i put the snapper and the barracuda fillets in a bowl and in to the fridge.

now half an hour later one of the cats started to convulse and vomit and soon after the second one showed the same symptoms. i only fed them the barracuda, so something has to be wrong with it maybe cig or something.

so my question is, is the snapper still safe to eat although it came in contact with the barracuda? i would have tried to feed them the snapper, but they wouldn't touch it anymore.

the barracuda was 25lbs and the snapper was 9lbs.

a lot of locals in the village eat barracuda but nobody has fallen ill yet :confused1:

• Oh man. I am so sorry for your cats but thank god you are okay.

I don't know if that is cig but I would suggest you not eat the snapper

Unless it is a dire situation where you need the food, the cats digestive track is way tougher than ours. If it is cig or any number of other toxins, parasites or poisons you are always better not taking any risks

i like to spear fish

• I would say toss the cuda for sure. I would think the snapper would be safe as the ciguaterra toxin is in the flesh and Ive never heard of contact contamination. Even if small amounts do transfer from contact it would not be enough to cause you to get sick. If youre still worried just toss it all. Better safe than sorry.

These are just my thoughts and there isnt a real high incidence of ciguatera in South Florida so take my comments with a grain of salt.

If your cats wont touch it there are always the neighbors and in-laws.

• Once those cats had a bad experience with fresh fish, I think they're likely to reject all fresh fish whether they're contaminated or not, at least for a while. I don't give much credence to the notion that animals can detect sig, even after they had a bad experience.

What do you mean by convulsions, gagging?

• Have eat lot of barracuda. Never got sickness. Our local fisherman still catching barracuda and other fish. They sell them to local and restaurant.

• I wouldn't eat either one. If both the barracuda and the snapper have been feeding on reef fish in the same area, and it is Ciguatera, they could both be contaminated.

Where exactly did you catch these fish. I'm going to San Pedro in about 10 days.

• thanks for your advise guys :) i gave the neighbors cat some of the snapper and it seams fine, actually i am eating it right now :laughing: will let you know tomorrow if i survived.

i caught the barracuda south of sapodillo cay and the funny thing is i had caught plenty of barracuda from there before, the cats never acted like that and i never got sick.

anyways i would advise you guys to get your self a cat and let them test eat your fish first :D

• thanks for your advise guys :) i gave the neighbors cat some of the snapper and it seams fine, actually i am eating it right now :laughing: will let you know tomorrow if i survived.

i caught the barracuda south of sapodillo cay and the funny thing is i had caught plenty of barracuda from there before, the cats never acted like that and i never got sick.

anyways i would advise you guys to get your self a cat and let them test eat your fish first :D

forgot to mention that i had the cats owners consent

• just wanted to let you fellow belizeans know. i talked to SEA. long story short, they sent a sample of the meat and blood to a laboratory in belize city will know by the end of the week what it was.

• Belize Medical Associates is pretty competent

:D yeah, but i would never enter a hospital in belize, even a privat one such as BMA.

got the snapper between ranguana and the rangers cay.