Building a hybrid?

• As we discussed today, I'm thinking about making a BIG hybrid. Something in the 65-68" range that will handle tuna type power, but move like butter through the water. Maybe a new carbon design that starts fatter at the back and transitions quickly to a thin front section would be fun.

"We have the technology. We can rebuild him. We can make him better . . . faster . . . stronger . . ."

Cue Steve Austin's theme music :D

I opted not to include a full length enclosed track on the 1-3/8" diameter tube because I felt that was pushing it a little, but if you are thinking of a larger diameter, then we could easily do something similar to the enclosed track on Gary's Gun. Are you thinking all carbon, or a wood/carbon hybrid?

I would like to use the raised Delrin enclosed track on the wood section of mine, but still haven't quite figured out how to do the part that is above the tube, because the regular dovetail won't work. Unless I cut it into the tube, which I would rather avoid.

Would this be a better way to make our dowel core? They are available in lots of sizes, including the 1-1/8" diameter that I need.

• Regarding a big hybrid.

I made one once before that I used to shoot a tuna in Mexico. It was powered by 6 9/16" bands at the time. While it definately kicked, the shaft went to the point of aim. What I didn't like about that design is that it was too wide and flat at the back, causing the bands to really pile up.

Jeff's design above with the tapered sides as well as the hard wishbones makes for a clean line of sight.

• We can sure give that bit a try. I just looked in my collection - I already have it in 1-1/8".

I might play around with a couple "out there" designs in all carbon. Not in any rush, and I only have a vague idea of what I want to make at this time.

• You guys have me a little lost about the track but I know one thing. Steve Austin was the shit when I was a kid, and the words better.. stronger.. faster.. still run through my head until today. Classic stuff for those of our generation. I used to live for the "bionic" moments. There was just one thing that bugged me. Whenever he was supposed to run fast they showed him running in slow mo. Except in the intro :D

YouTube - Six Million Dollar Man Open

And sorry for the derail.

• Made most of my new enclosed track 67" carbon gun today. It is 2.7" wide and 2" high at the back with a tear drop shape. The wide rear section is 42" long (much longer than most hybrids) it then transitions pretty quickly to a 1-3/8" tube section.

If all goes well this gun will replace the tuna hybrid that I made a few years ago and gave away. Can't wait to see how the carbon came out in the morning.

Finished
    Shaping the stock
    Cutting the track for the barrel
    Cutting the track for the shaft
    Cutting the trigger mech pocket
    Cutting the push rod slot
    Installing the barrel in the stock
    Wrapping the whole thing with carbon fiber

Still need to:
    Cut a shaft fin slot in the carbon fiber
    Make a muzzle
    Install trigger mech and push rod
    Make a handle
    Make a trigger
    Install line release
    Apply finish

• Here are a few progress pictures.

When done it will be a 67" enclosed track carbon gun that gets it's basic shape from the hybrid form. The rear, thick portion of the gun is 2-3/4" wide, 2" high and 42" long (much longer than most hybrids). It has a tear drop shape which should move through the water well. The round barrel at the front is 1-3/8" with a carbon wall thickness of 1/8". The track is cut for either a 5/16" or an 11/32" shaft. It should handle 5 bands nicely and with the Kitto M6 Mech the trigger pull will be butter.

The handle will be changed out for a custom molded one.

This gun is an attempt making a big, powerful gun that handles like a small gun.

• Chad
    Is this shape in the back better for avoiding the bands to bunch up mat the rear?
    The metal wish bones, one in each shark fin is a good way
    to avoid that.
    That gun looks sick.

• Roberto,

Yes the shape is designed to reduce the issue of bands piling up. On the previous tuna hybrid I made it was an issue. I even had a problem getting my hands out of the way without having the wishbone want to come off the shark fin.

I've used the metal wishbones and like them - as you say the only limitation is 1 per tab. I wanted this gun to be able to work well with either type.

• Hey Jeff!

I finished your hybrid blank yesterday. Hope to ship tomorrow. Do you have the horizontal boring attachment ready yet?

We decided to go with thicker lams and to not hang the blank since it will be so short (30"). I made the blank 60" so if anyone is interested in using the other half for a hybrid pm me. Dimensions are 2.5" wide x 2.35" high x 30" long. Price is $100 + $15 shipping.